Alternator with dash gauge 64 Cyclone

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
aojker

Alternator with dash gauge 64 Cyclone

Post by aojker »

Looks like the previous owner buggered up the wiring on this, they replaced the gen with a alt, but never replaced the regulator, My question is this, how do i get this wired, forget all the color coded wires as they have long been replaced, what i need is a schematic for the 3/4 wire alt going to a 4 wire reg and then where those wires go. thanks in advance.

Dave

comethead

Re: Alternator with dash gauge 64 Cyclone

Post by comethead »

The 64 shop manual has wiring diagrams.
If it were me I’d install reproduction 65 alternator and regulator harnesses. I believe the gen regulator has loose wires that get screwed to the posts and the alt regulator has a wire connector or plug.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

aojker

Post by aojker »

So what you are saying is order up a 64 shop manual, a 65 reproduction alternator and regulator harness, although in my post i mentioned i had the alternator and 4 wire regulator. i tried google search but keep getting schematics that want me to log into some bizarre site, not going to do that.

From what i have read, the STA does not get hooked up
alt Fld to reg FLD
alt bat to reg A(and back to solenoid)
but with a gauge and not a light where does the regulator I go?

Thanks in advance.

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Some schematics.

http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/tOCM ... dindex.htm

The charging system wiring should be the very similar or the same as the Falcon except no gauge. What gauge you have volts or amps?

aojker

Post by aojker »

amps, its the one that has the ring and the wire passes thru it.

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

With the gauge I don't think the "I" terminal is used. Thinking the amp gauge is wired off the alt. The schematics only go to 65 so I would look at a 65 Ford product that has a amp gauge, like the 65 Lincoln to see how they wired it.

aojker

Post by aojker »

the problem im having is the alt will not get excited and start charging without manually jumping the wires. thats why im thinking the wires were wrong. thanks for the link to the schematics...will do more research.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

dont know if this will help but here is a 65 comet diagram

here is a 64 online manual which you probably dont need either, but there is other stuff in it.a good one to bookmark .the index is at the front of it.
http://falconfaq.dyndns.org/display1.ph ... age=13-001
you can change pages at the top left.
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

the above says ,,I think you need this,,don;t know if this well help,,and so on....IMO make sure you'r gen is in good shape and you have a good battery...forget the alt and keep on keeping on....POP's 64 is all stock and has been driven way more miles then anyone's comet giving you all this advice,,,and for close to 25 yrs,,never the first problem...leave it alone !! don't pay any attention to what other's say you need...fix what you have and make it work..just like factory and you'll get many miles down the road trouble free,,and all you NAY sayers keep it to your self !!! pop
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

popscomet wrote:the above says ,,I think you need this,,don;t know if this well help,,and so on....IMO make sure you'r gen is in good shape and you have a good battery...forget the alt and keep on keeping on....POP's 64 is all stock and has been driven way more miles then anyone's comet giving you all this advice,,,and for close to 25 yrs,,never the first problem...leave it alone !! don't pay any attention to what other's say you need...fix what you have and make it work..just like factory and you'll get many miles down the road trouble free,,and all you NAY sayers keep it to your self !!! pop
...but don't think swapping from a gen to a alt can't be done in the correct way,,,me and son did wife's 56 ford from gen to alt way back in the 90's and to this day it still works like a clock and it has been driven many miles over a few states and it has a charging light with a 100 amp 1 wire alt.....pop
pop/glenda

aojker

Post by aojker »

dont know if this will help but here is a 65 comet diagram
poboyjo65 I think that's exactly what i needed, wont be able to get to it till fri, thanks for the bookmarks.

Dave

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

aojker wrote:Looks like the previous owner buggered up the wiring on this, they replaced the gen with a alt, but never replaced the regulator, My question is this, how do i get this wired, forget all the color coded wires as they have long been replaced, what i need is a schematic for the 3/4 wire alt going to a 4 wire reg and then where those wires go. thanks in advance.

Dave
POP completely misread this post,,MY BAD ..I thought he was being told to ditch the gen for a alt...and I don't see the sense in that if the gen is doing right and not causeing a problem...that's the way I took the post...my fault for reading something that wasn't there..I just came in and was hot and just happened to see the post,,I took it wrong,,,,hopefully next time I'll slow down and read it thru...so don't melt any tar and don't pluck any chickens.....pop
pop/glenda

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

I think the easiest fix would be to install a 1 wire alternator and land that wire on the battery side of the starter solenoid. Those alternators have the voltage regulator all built in. Just my thought.
tom
tomb's 65

aojker

Post by aojker »

Poboyjo65 thanks for the schematics worked like a charm!

All i had to do is run a wire from the ignition switch (key) to the S on the regulator, I am guessing this wire sends signal thru the regulator and excites the alt to start charging.

Yea POPS your oldometer kicked in there for a minute. no worries.

Appreciate everyone's opinion and advice.

Dave

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

You're welcome. :D
Johno