Vintage Road Racer

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
riverbum

Vintage Road Racer

Post by riverbum »

How many of you have built a vintage road racing 64-65 Comet? I would love to build one just like it would have been built back in the 60's, but with a couple, not so obvious, upgrades like disc brakes and upgraded control arms.

popscomet

Re: Vintage Road Racer

Post by popscomet »

riverbum wrote:How many of you have built a vintage road racing 64-65 Comet? I would love to build one just like it would have been built back in the 60's, but with a couple, not so obvious, upgrades like disc brakes and upgraded control arms.
think comethead JOE is doing similar with a falcon...……….pop
pop/glenda

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

B lookin forward to following that build!!
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

comethead

Post by comethead »

I’m trying to do that exact thing with a 64 Falcon.
Staying within the old school boundaries is my mission.
I’m running a solid cam 302 with a Victor Jr. intake and Holley HP carb, Toploader, and 67 Lincoln disc brakes.
The upper control arms are “blue printed” and reinforced by Opentracker Racing and the lowers are modified stock units that are adjustable with adjustable strut rods.
I’ve installed lowering springs all around but I’m not sure what shocks I’m using yet.
Eventually it’ll get 15” Torq Thrust wheels and Goodyear racing rubber.
Let’s see how all the parts play together :mrgreen:

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

riverbum

Post by riverbum »

Joe, I've found a toploader for Comet/Falcon already. I did the Granada swap on my last 65, but I used 16" late model Mustang torq thrust wheels. Are you going to have any issues with your disc brakes fitting inside the 15" wheels? I would like to go with o;d school torq thrust wheels too, and not the modern ones on the Mustangs.

comethead

Post by comethead »

I had installed stock type Kelsey Hayes 4 piston disc brakes on the car to keep 15” wheels on it. Until I saw that Street or Track and Cobra Automotive sell the bigger Lincoln style brakes that will fit inside a 15” wheel. They look just like the smaller Mustang units but are huge and use a 12 inch rotor. Not cheap though.

I’ve read on some forums where guys bought the Lincoln calipers from a parts store (Rockauto has them) and pieced together a system. I believe the Lincoln’s had larger wheel bearings and the caliper mount brackets would need to be made or bought from one of the race outfits. Seems doable.

I was lazy and half drunk and just bought the kit from the Street or Track website :(

Also while reading about TransAm era Fords I found out that the 69 teams were not only using the big Lincoln brakes in the front but used the smaller Mustang 4 piston disc brakes on the rears! They had to make up their own caliper brackets and modify the axle shafts somehow. Maybe someday I’ll attempt that for some real period correct coolness 8)
Seems that for 69 the TransAm teams had to use off the shelf Ford parts hence the stock type brakes. I believe for 1970 they could use whatever they wanted for brakes.

I’ll post some pics of the brakes in my Falcon thread.

Joe

riverbum

Post by riverbum »

I try to avoid the internet when I have consumed more than a couple adult beverages lol

I won't be racing mine, but I would like a dependable car that I could drive cross country if I took a notion. I haven't measured them, but some of the mid 90's fox body Mustangs have 8.8 rears with disc brakes. Compared to an 8", that could be a very attractive swap, especially eliminating the leaf springs.

Just getting ideas right now. Gotta finish my house, hopefully by the end of this month, and gotta get a slab poured for a small pole barn/shop. That has been my hold up since I moved back to Alabama. If you don't have a concrete floor, it's nearly impossible to do quality work on anything.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

comethead wrote:
I was lazy and half drunk

Joe
I don't believe either of your excuses! But,, I have, in the past, on occasion been known to have been inebriated during the decision process, they usually weren't good ones,,, :roll: :lol: :lol:
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

frdpwr

Post by frdpwr »

Just an FYI, look at Speedway Motors in the oval track section at some of the rear disc kits. These are a good way to get 11" to 11-1/2" rotors and still be able to run most 15" wheels.

comethead

Post by comethead »

SASSY wrote:
comethead wrote:

Joe
I don't believe either of your excuses! But,, I have, in the past, on occasion been known to have been inebriated during the decision process, they usually weren't good ones,,, :roll: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol:

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

comethead wrote:
SASSY wrote:
comethead wrote:

Joe
:lol: :lol:
as wild and crazy as OL POP is and has been,,,this ain't new to me !!!
pop/glenda

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Ok, where were we? Oh ya, Riverbum I think following what Shelby did with the 65 Stang would yield a very enjoyable ride

riverbum

Post by riverbum »

Y'all ain't right, but I miss shooting the bull with y'all :lol: :lol:

comethead

Post by comethead »

frdpwr wrote:Just an FYI, look at Speedway Motors in the oval track section at some of the rear disc kits. These are a good way to get 11" to 11-1/2" rotors and still be able to run most 15" wheels.
Good stuff there! May be able to run rear discs for cheap. Thanks!

comethead

Post by comethead »

riverbum wrote:I try to avoid the internet when I have consumed more than a couple adult beverages lol

I won't be racing mine, but I would like a dependable car that I could drive cross country if I took a notion. I haven't measured them, but some of the mid 90's fox body Mustangs have 8.8 rears with disc brakes. Compared to an 8", that could be a very attractive swap, especially eliminating the leaf springs.
The 8.8 swap is pretty common now. I think one side gets cut down and you have to use 2 of the short side axles. Well worth it with disc brakes.
I think a set of the stock type Kelsey Hayes front discs from CSRP or Chockostang are just about perfect for a street car. In fact the 65 GT350R (the dedicated track machine) used those brakes 8)

Joe