door hinge detent springs

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
vicegrip

door hinge detent springs

Post by vicegrip »

1964...So i'm trying to figure out how to install those little springs on the door hinge that holds the door open.The problem is everything is painted up nice and I don't want to mess everything up.The doors are on the car.I don't have a problem when the hinge is apart when installing new pins and bushings but this deal has me stumped.Can't sleep at night.Those springs are wicked little sob's.Any ideas here?

lavron
Site Admin

Re: door hinge detent springs

Post by lavron »

Well I don't know how to get them out or in but I need to know as well I have one broken, did you buy replacements some where? I have to be honest I haven't even looked yet but it is on my to-do list in my head. My drivers door is missing half of the spring and it doesn't like to stay open, passenger side is fine.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wmr- ... gKVAfD_BwE

Make sure you get the tool into the coil good so it doesn't pop out. I have one it works nice!

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

You're kidding me,Lou!! All this agonizing and problem solved for 8 bucks? Tried to make one kinda like that but it was a failure. Thanks! Never would have found it.

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

vicegrip wrote:You're kidding me,Lou!! All this agonizing and problem solved for 8 bucks? Tried to make one kinda like that but it was a failure. Thanks! Never would have found it.
Yea the tool works great, Sometimes you can compress the spring in a vise and safety wire it, then cut the wire when it is in place but pita and sometimes the wire breaks.