Another AOD swap Question

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
MBJ

Another AOD swap Question

Post by MBJ »

Hey All

Really appreciate your contributions to this forum. I have learned a bunch and hope to learn some more.

Posted last spring with some heat related issues, with your help I completed a new Rad/Fan and some proper gauges have also been installed.

I have learned a bit more about my car and feel that an AOD swap would likely be a good move to bring the RPMs down for Hwy use. Thoughts? I live in a small town so everything is 1/2 to 1hr away. 60mph at 3400rpm just seems to be too much to get where I am going.

Currently I am a 1964 Comet Caliente with a 1965 289 and a 6 bolt bell housing with a C4 Trans. 8" Rear End - High 3's - I am thinking a 3.80 with the test I did.

I have read through the forums and have a basic understanding of what the swap would require. I do have a couple of questions for the folks that have gone through it!:

What AOD (Year/Model/Fit ) should I be looking for? I understand most will work, but what is the ideal setup?

Does it matter if it comes from a 4WD vehicle?

Torque Convertor? Opinions will vary I understand. What is a good feel in general.

I am on a budget, I want to complete the work myself as I want to learn the process.

Any tips, thoughts/ "wish I would haves" are greatly appreciated!

Also: Did any 64/65 comets ever have an automatic floor shift from factory? I can't seem to find it as an option? Seems like a cool way to go, but I would like to keep it somewhat correct.

Here she is. My Dad got her 99% of the way!
Dad left it to me to dial it in.

Thanks All

Mike
.25mp.JPG
.25mp.JPG (68.38 KiB) Viewed 2410 times

tomb22

Re: Another AOD swap Question

Post by tomb22 »

I installed a 87 Truck AOD with a 302 in my 65. I read that later year AOD cases are a little bit stronger. I have 3:55 gears and cruise 60 mph at 2000 rpm. Originally my 8.8 rear end came with 3:73 and that was to low.
If your going to race this thing you might want to do some modifications to it. There known to have issues with the narrow overdrive band also. Mine is totally redone with 4R70W parts.
I use a B&M floor shifter with a Lentech valve body and it works great. It's a cable shifter.
Hope this helps
tom
tomb's 65

MBJ

Post by MBJ »

It does help. Thanks Tom

I found this AOD fairly close to home. https://classifieds.castanet.net/detail ... n/3368918/

Being early 90's I wasn't sure if it would be a good candidate.

I won't be racing this machine, just cruising around and having fun.

Thanks

Mike

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

MBJ wrote: Also: Did any 64/65 comets ever have an automatic floor shift from factory? I can't seem to find it as an option? Seems like a cool way to go, but I would like to keep it somewhat correct.
Thanks All

Mike
No but you could put one in from a mustang ,cougar & maybe other old ford cars from the 60's & not many people will know. only comet owners would know & not all of them. These cars are so few & far in between that most people dont even know what kinda car it is,much less what options they had. so if you keep of the era ford parts on it it will seem original to most everyone.
Johno

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

I looked at the add and saw that the AOD pictured is out of a 4x4 explorer. The rear tail piece is different and I suspect the rear out put shaft is different also.
I looked up 1992 Explorers and it seems the only engine put in those was a V6. So I'm not sure that this one would even bolt up to a 289. I think you should look for a AOD out of a car or 2 wheel drive pickup.
Just my thought!!!!!
tom
tomb's 65

redhotcomet

Post by redhotcomet »

Had a AOD in my car for a few years. I rebuilt it myself, and I must have messed something up internally, because I could never get the TV valve to work properly, it always wanted to shift early. Messed with for quite awhile, until it started puking oil out and I swapped it for a T5. Worked well on the highway though.

Used an Edge Racing 3000 rpm converter with overdrive lockup, which I was happy with.

becontrols.com has a lot of info and parts.

You'll definitely want to use a 2wd transmission.
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

MBJ wrote:Hey All .

Thanks All

Mike
.25mp.JPG
Mike,, didn't your dad mention to you that he was going to paint it red??
And was looking for a clutch pedal,,,,
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

MBJ

Post by MBJ »

tomb22 wrote:I looked at the add and saw that the AOD pictured is out of a 4x4 explorer. The rear tail piece is different and I suspect the rear out put shaft is different also.
I looked up 1992 Explorers and it seems the only engine put in those was a V6. So I'm not sure that this one would even bolt up to a 289. I think you should look for a AOD out of a car or 2 wheel drive pickup.
Just my thought!!!!!
tom
That's awesome Tom, Thanks for taking the time to have a look for me! Just the info I needed.

Planning on grabbing parts up throughout the year and tackling the project next winter.

Thanks again
Mike

MBJ

Post by MBJ »

redhotcomet wrote:Had a AOD in my car for a few years. I rebuilt it myself, and I must have messed something up internally, because I could never get the TV valve to work properly, it always wanted to shift early. Messed with for quite awhile, until it started puking oil out and I swapped it for a T5. Worked well on the highway though.

Used an Edge Racing 3000 rpm converter with overdrive lockup, which I was happy with.

becontrols.com has a lot of info and parts.

You'll definitely want to use a 2wd transmission.
Thanks for your help Red! I will not be messing around with the internals, likely above my skill set. I will certainly check out becontrols.com

Mike

MBJ

Post by MBJ »

SASSY wrote:
MBJ wrote:Hey All .

Thanks All

Mike
.25mp.JPG
Mike,, didn't your dad mention to you that he was going to paint it red??
And was looking for a clutch pedal,,,,
Fred
No Red for me Fred! Although she is a Black Cherry. Going to keep her an auto. Likely stick with the column shift as well. I like the idea of trying to keep it somewhat period correctish!

Hopefully I can meet up with you at an Okanagan show this year? Let me know the shows you might attend please

Thanks
Mike