1965 comet vintage air or classic air?

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
robertapy

1965 comet vintage air or classic air?

Post by robertapy »

has anyone used vintage air on a 65 comet?...is it the same as falcon?...thanks in advance bob

Lip Ripper

Re: 1965 comet vintage air or classic air?

Post by Lip Ripper »

I've used both, they work great. I just use the knee knocker style in the Falcon and retain the factory heater. You could do the same. There are some other suppliers out there too. The stuff is pretty generic when you're hanging it under the dash. A whole system with deflectors either in or under the dash and a replacement firewall mounted unit is a whole different game. I've done both. I say go with the knee knocker and leave your factory heater.

Stacey
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I will follow this so make sure to post whatever you get, someplace in the future I am putting air in (by orders of the wife)
robertapy wrote:has anyone used vintage air on a 65 comet?...is it the same as falcon?
It is the same. I will have to look back in my files and see which one I was leaning toward, knowing me I will want to buy the components separate and use some factory stuff, but then again I might get some good sense before then :roll:

I want to the built in unit because I already have my heater box out and it would have to be rebuilt or replaced anyway (it does have a newer core, relatively speaking)

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

Mike, I don't think the 64's ever had anything but knee knockers. The new unit that I installed in the firewall used the factory heater controls in my 66. I just had to add factory blower switch to trip the compressor. That and I found factory in-dash registers for AC. You would have to use new under dash controls and air deflectors. I think you'd better off re-sealing your heater box and buy an under dash kit. They're pretty much universal in that you'll have to figure out how to mount the compressor, condenser, route the hoses, index the fittings after you cut the hoses to length and then have them crimped. On my 66 Classic Auto Air sold a kit that added the new compressor to my existing FE and the compressor is powered off of the power steering pulley. A 2 sheave PS pulley came with the mounting kit, pretty slick.

Stacey
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

robertapy

Post by robertapy »

thanks guys i called classic air and they have all parts and work on 65 comet...but i will keep you updated...again thanks!

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Lip Ripper wrote:Mike, I don't think the 64's ever had anything but knee knockers.
You are correct, I can't really do an under dash unit my console is in the way and I really don't care for the look of them.

I have the factory mount for the 250 compressor if it will work with the header (I think it will) the motor was an original A/C car so I have the right pulleys as well and I was going to try and get a '68 Mustang condenser because my radiator is an aluminum unit for a big block (want to make sure I stay cool) and I would like it to fit properly, that is where the statement of cobbling it together from factory parts came from.

I think someone sells just the factory replacement heater-A/C built in unit so I would do the under hood stuff, but it might be more economical to just get the complete kit I will determine that when the time comes.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

robertapy wrote:thanks guys i called classic air and they have all parts and work on 65 comet...but i will keep you updated...again thanks!
Good choice! I've heard the drawback for the vintageair unit is that the case is glued together & not meant to be serviceable whereas the CCA unit is serviceable.
Johno

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

I have vintage air in my 66 Mustang fastback. I installed it myself way back in 2002. Still works perfect. I have never had to recharge it or anything.

1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Nice stang Boss! comet lookin badass too! :D
Johno

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

poboyjo65 wrote:comet lookin badass too! :D
Same to you, we have very similar stances. 8)
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Boss/Cyclone wrote:
poboyjo65 wrote:comet lookin badass too! :D
Same to you, we have very similar stances. 8)
Thanks! yea you're right,,,way similar,even the tire sizes look close.mine are 215/60/15's on front,rear 295/50/15.

I still have yet to gas up my pieced together ac system ,,,again :roll: it was leaking at the hose fittings on the underdash unit,so I installed a new core & it just got knocked down the priority list.
Last edited by poboyjo65 on Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johno

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

poboyjo65 wrote: Thanks! yea you're right,,,way similar,even the tire sizes look close.mine are 215/60/15's on front,rear 295/50/15.

I still have yet to gas up my pieced together ac system ,,,again :roll: it was leaking at the hose fittings on the underdash unit,so I installed a new core & it just knocked down the priority list.
Yes, I have 295/50/15 out back, but I have 17's in the front. 205/50/17 up front. I was trying the opposite of most guys that put bigger diameter in the rear. I like the results, but no one has ever noticed yet unless I tell them....
Larry

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

wheels might be taller but the overall tire dimensions except sidewall are very close, yours are 10mm narrower, but they are close to same diameter & circumference ;
https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?ti ... -205-50r17
Johno