Pulled the Boss

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Pulled the Boss

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

It has been very warm here in Michigan this week, mid 50's yesterday, today, tommorrow. Predicted 60's Wednesday. So, I got motivated and pulled my engine. It started running rough this past Fall and I am pretty sure it ate a cam lobe. I will tear the engine down tomorrow and report back on my findings.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

Jims65cyclone

Re: Pulled the Boss

Post by Jims65cyclone »

That wouldn't be a red Nomad in the background, would it?

Jim

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

Nice shop. Think maybe a 57 next to your Comet?

Last time I had a lobe bad, it was a 454 in an El Camino I bought. Seller thought it was a bad lifter. It still ran great, but had that lifter tick. Long story short, I pulled the engine, tore the block down, and it had a Crane cam, wiped rear lobe, and nice concave bottom rear lifter.
Motor Safe,
Lee

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:12 pm
That wouldn't be a red Nomad in the background, would it?

Jim
1957 2 door Ford Ranch Wagon, seems to keep getting pushed off to tomorrow. Problem is tomorrow never seems to come.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Caveman49 wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:33 pm
Nice shop. Think maybe a 57 next to your Comet?

Last time I had a lobe bad, it was a 454 in an El Camino I bought. Seller thought it was a bad lifter. It still ran great, but had that lifter tick. Long story short, I pulled the engine, tore the block down, and it had a Crane cam, wiped rear lobe, and nice concave bottom rear lifter.
I am headed out to tear it down now, but I am pretty sure it is a cam lobe. Had a 400 in my 78 F-150 wipe out lobe toward the rear a few years ago and it acted the same way.
Larry

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Nice wagon, Boss! That Cammer on BAT would be a nice fit :lol:

Going to a roller setup in the Cyclone?

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Well cam is ok, pulled it and mic'd it all in spec. Then I had to handle some other stuff at work. So next hopefully later this week I'll have time to finish the tear down and pull the heads. I have a huge solid roller cam (something like .660 lift, current cam is .540 solid cam non roller) that I have had for years but never installed because this is just a street car now, might have to toss it in and see how it does.

Larry

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Joe Travers wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:17 am
Nice wagon, Boss! That Cammer on BAT would be a nice fit :lol:

Going to a roller setup in the Cyclone?

Joe
I have a 427 center oiler that I bought long ago to put in my Cyclone but never got around to it. The cammer is not happening, the 427 sitting in my barn is a maybe.
Larry

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Boss/Cyclone wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:44 pm
I have a 427 center oiler that I bought long ago to put in my Cyclone but never got around to it. The cammer is not happening, the 427 sitting in my barn is a maybe.
Yeah, the Cammer is over the top. Center-oiler would be a great engine for the wagon.
Glad the cam is okay! Hopefully no biggie, slap it back together and go. Love those exhaust manifolds.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

That’s a sweet looking 57 wagon 👍. Also looks like you’ve several engines there in you garage, plus a 427 in he barn, yeehaa!
Motor Safe,
Lee

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Finally got a chance to work on the engine. Decided to leave the .550 flat tappet solid cam out that I removed a few weeks ago and use the .651 solid roller that i had lying around. I have had this cam for years, but never ran it. It came with linked roller lifters and a set of 1970 close chamber 4 barrel heads that supposedly have the correct springs for this cam. Wish me luck, hopefully this combo works together.
Larry

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Am I the only guy that's going to want to listen to that exhaust rumble?
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

Nope. I’d sure want to hear it rumble as well 👆😁
Motor Safe,
Lee

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Hey Boss, do you know LSA for the roller?
I don't have the card for mine but suspect it's fairly wide. Vacuum @ 900 rpm is 19 in.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Joe Travers wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:07 am
Hey Boss, do you know LSA for the roller?
I don't have the card for mine but suspect it's fairly wide. Vacuum @ 900 rpm is 19 in.

Joe
No, I don't have any info for it. I bought the cam, lifters and heads off craigslist years ago. They were mocked up on a motor but never ran. I got the lift by using a mic and calculator.
Larry