64 Comet202 dutchman panel

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
barbee6043

64 Comet202 dutchman panel

Post by barbee6043 »

The PO boogered my 64 202 cars trunk lid and dutchman panel. He bent the dutchman panel up about 3/4 of an inch and the upper lid of trunk lid down some. My question is; is that dutchman panel supposed to be flat or have any type of curve???

SASSY

Re: 64 Comet202 dutchman panel

Post by SASSY »

I've never heard/read the term Dutchman panel. Please explain
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

barbee6043

Post by barbee6043 »

I am referring to the filler panel between the back glass and the top of trunk lid opening. 64 Comet 202 car.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Thanks for the clarification.
Although 64s look like they have a lot of straight lines I doubt they have any.
I think all the surfaces have a slight arc just to kept the metal taut.
I had problems with trunk lids,, once they're boggered I could never get them back.
A smooth transition between the two panels with a slight arc across the car is what Id be after in your situation.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

I know the old Mustangs have repop with that part, but am not sure about the older Comets. Be nice to see a picture of your problem area, maybe we could get a better idea of what it looks like, at least me 😬
Motor Safe,
Lee

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

Caveman49 wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:19 am
I know the old Mustangs have repop with that part, but am not sure about the older Comets. Be nice to see a picture of your problem area, maybe we could get a better idea of what it looks like, at least I might be able to understand it better 😬
Motor Safe,
Lee

barbee6043

Post by barbee6043 »

My wife puts pics in puters and it is hard to get her to sop and do it!!!! I did find a puter pic of this panel and it does look like it has a slight arc. I have a road trip planned (12hours nothing is close in Texas) and he has a panel I can get, the "guter" part is the most needed. Maybe, I can always fab the top part if I understand the curve. I have finally taken the cut off when to it and started seeing if I can get the panel close enough to finish with some filer IF his panel does not come thru. Getting it all back right at the hinge support is the issue and it is going bak well. The upper panel: Being the top and reinforcing bottom part is a problem!!! I really have no desire to have to separate the two. Main thing I have been wondering about is what kind of arc. Yes the deck lid is an issue as it is two piece and to make any bends in that is impossible unless you separate the two. Best part is I am 75 and wore out and will not take 10 years making this car perfect. It will be "good enough" for me and get on the road. The next caretaker can make it as perfect as he wishes!!