'65 Mustang seats for a Comet

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
GasserMac

'65 Mustang seats for a Comet

Post by GasserMac »

Just received my 65 Mustang seats back from the upholstery shop. Basic black vinyl standard buckets. Also purchased new slides from CJ's. Look great.
Not cheap. The price of everything these days has gotten stupid and puts a damper on the hobby as a whole. Hate to sound like an old timer...

Guess I should have thought of this before hand ,but will the slides bolt up to the Comet floors or will I have to fill and drill new mounting holes...?
Mac

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Re: '65 Mustang seats for a Comet

Post by A/FX »

The cost of everything is crazy now. That is why most of us do our own work and do not pay others to perform these jobs. I let the professionals do paint and upholstery because the equipment is specialized and the cost of the raw materials is to high to screw things up. I know my limits for the quality of what I want done.
As for the seat runners, I would recommend using the Comet seat tracks on the Mustang seats. I used my factory seat tracks on the ‘64 T bird seats in my Cyclone. Only minor modifications were needed to fit the tracks to the seat frames, then everything just bolted into the Comet without issue.
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Re: '65 Mustang seats for a Comet

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

My Cyclone was a drag car so the cyclone seats were gone way before I bought it in 1994. I took some 68 Mustang seats I had lying around to an upholstery guy and had him make some new upholstery up that look like Cyclone seats on the Mustang frames. I also bought new tracks from CJ's, had to drill new holes in the floor for them. I did not have comet tracks anyway and anyone who had some for sale thought they were made of gold.... Back when I did my seats the tracks were pretty cheap (before Covid) so easy decision for me.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry