Brake Master? What to use?

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
IrishTap

Brake Master? What to use?

Post by IrishTap »

Hey folks

Alight i have all the brakes replaced and new.

Previous owner had changed the front to disc but not the master, looks like 67 calipers and rotors(comet falcon ranchero mustang etc) i ordered 67 master and bench primed it and installed it, it was a cheap brake select and it did not do the job.

What does everyone run? i see a lot of mustang advertised masters with proportioning valves, is this what is recommended?

Is there a certain go to or must have?

Thanks
Tap :twisted:

SASSY

Re: Brake Master? What to use?

Post by SASSY »

For manual disc/drum setup on our cars there are at least a couple options. 15/16ths inch master bore diameter is the accepted size to get result from medium pedal pressure. I used Early Ranger. An adjustable proprotioning valve is a must to get good front to rear pressure.
Read through this thread.
https://www.cometcentral.com/forum/view ... 13&t=15288
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Re: Brake Master? What to use?

Post by A/FX »

I agree with the 15/16” bore master cylinder. An adjustable proportioning valve plumbed into the rear brake line is also recommended, depending on the master cylinder a 10lb residual check valve for the drums and a 2 lb residual valve for the front discs may also be necessary. ( some masters have the valves built in)
I also recommend installing “ Speed Bleeders” in all four corners, it makes bleeding the brakes much easier.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”