Looking for some parts

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
got9lbs

Looking for some parts

Post by got9lbs »

I'm starting to work on my 64 comet, 404 model. I am looking to see if the following parts are available as reproductions:

-All glass
-rear lower qtr panels
- full floor boards
-Gas tank (besided http://www.critesperformanceparts.com/)
-Bucket seats (currently have bench but think buckets would be cool)

Im converting the car to a sbf or a 4.6 mod motor, either way it will be twin turbo with a tremec tko 5 speed.

I have already bought a TCI mustang II front suspension with willwood brakes and coil overs, an 8.8 mustang rearend, and can't decide on if Im going to have a custom 4 link made for the rear with coil overs.

Any links or info that you guys have found would be great!

Thanks,

Karl

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Re: Looking for some parts

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

You can get glass,the back will be hard to find though.New floors,partial or full are available.Quarters,NO,except fiberglass partials.You will spend a fortune on that 8.8 and still have junk,spend your money on a 9",been there,done that,was not happy!!!Seats,if you want stock will be used only.Get yourself catalogues from Dearborn Classics,Macs and Auto Krafters,for a start.64-65 Falcons and Comets share many parts from same body styles,doors,glass,rubber,some trim,etc. ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

alans 64

Post by alans 64 »

Roy just about hit it all, but you can find that quite a few mustang parts will interchange in the suspension/steering area as some trim items. do as most have research and more research. most comet parts are in a world of their on. great bid no on the qtrs as Roy said. I had to make mine from scratch and it is time comsuming. lots of help here as you get into it.

as Roy said go with a 9" and end your problems. look around and if you can find a 57-50 full size ford it will bolt in. have one in my comet and in my 55 chev. not for hardcore drag racing but an occasional trip down the qtr. if you are thinking about big tires and tubs get a 9" and shorten it with the big bearing torino type ends or have someone like currie or moser make one for you.

lots of help here so ask away.

alan
64 Caliente 2 dr ht A/FX sold to a fellow forum member
http://www.picturetrail.com/alanan55 past & present rides
40 ford coupe sold 1979 found in garage sitting for 34 years back home again.

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

58-60 T-bird rear end is the right length and has the big bearings. Only problem is you have to move the spring perches.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Boss;I had never heard that about the square birds!! ROY.

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE wrote:Boss;I had never heard that about the square birds!! ROY.
I yanked 3 out from a local junkyard in the 80's. My brother took one for his 65 Falcon, I still have one lying in the corner waiting to go in my 64 Cyclone and my Dad has the other, he put his in a 67 Mustang fastback. It is narrower than a typical 67 Mustang rear end which he liked for his deepdish rims.

On a side comment, the squarebird rearends have the spring perches farther towards the center. I took a tape measure to it and the perch mounts looks to be at about the right location for flipping the leaf springs to the inside like the crites leaf spring relocation kit. Maybe I won't have to move the perches after all. 8)
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Boss;Like the saying goes,"I learn something new every day"!!! Thanks for the heads up!! ROY.

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Just found this looking around, it is the only page I can find that even mentions squarebirds. It is on the chart in the middle of the page.
http://www.ridgecrest.ca.us/~biesiade/Fordrears.html
Larry

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Was talking to friend today who pointed out that 58's had a coil spring rear suspension. I guess I got these out of 59's or 60's since they had leaf springs.
Larry

comet404

Post by comet404 »

Karl:
There is a place called Classics 2 Current that carries all the floor metal, and rockers.

Good luck on the quaters, I have a guy who is going to make a full Quarter molds off mine as they are in ok shape, and mold them out of either fiberglass or carbon fiber to the same thickness as the steel.

I told him to save the mold as there could be a demand for them.

I did find a couple rust free quarters in an internet search but holy cats it would be about 1400 a side including shipping. The glass inch for inch is just as strong as steel and will never rust again, and a heck of a lot cheaper.

As for the glass if you look up the comet ranch online they may be able to help you out.

I don't know if they are still in business as it has been awhile since they posted anything.

I meant to mention on the pans the price on them is really good here is there number:

Classics to current; 313-534-26