Lou's 65 Comet Build

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
Lou's Comet

Re: Lou's 65 Comet Build

Post by Lou's Comet »

Thanks Guys, I really like the Sargent Bars, but looks like John was right and we are going to have to redo them :(

Hopefully he is willing to do them again because I really like them lol.

Making them took a few steps, cut the bar into right length pieces, then milled the back of them. After made the inserts for the studs. They were made on a lathe with a shoulder on them. The bars were drilled with a counterbore, and inserts were pressed in to bars. Tapped the inserts for the mounting studs, then milled the top of the bars. The inserts are coming loose. After milling the tops there wasn't enough left of the shoulder to keep it pressed?? Don't know for sure but will talk to my buddy tomorrow about them. I wanted to put some 08115 in the holes before we pressed the inserts in but my buddy told me we wouldn't need to.

I think the adhesive would have saved them but again not sure. He has a Duster that needs some work and the deal was I would match him hour for hour doing work on his Duster.

Definitely want to do another set.

Lou

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Jims65cyclone wrote:That first picture in the sunlight with your reflection in it....the glove box looks like a piece of tinted mirror. That's some shiny paint! 8)
Jim

Thanks Jim. I used PPG Deltron basecoat/clearcoat. Straight Black with their Concept 2002 clear. Really nice stuff

Lou

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

comethead wrote:Lou after seeing your work I feel as though I may as well get back to work on my Falcon using a dull wood saw and a 5lb sledge! :lol:
Beautiful work! We've been waiting for a couple of years to see this one come together. It's going to be a badass machine!

Joe

LOL.. I used a 5lb sledge to align my trunk lid.

Thanks Joe, I too am waiting for it to be done, and when it is done feel it will be a pretty cool car.

Lou

Loner

Post by Loner »

Joe I'm sure Lou is telling the truth about the sledge. I have used one also for trunk lid, hood issues with a few 2x4s.

Matt

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Lou's Comet wrote:Thanks Guys, I really like the Sargent Bars, but looks like John was right and we are going to have to redo them :(

Hopefully he is willing to do them again because I really like them lol.

Making them took a few steps, cut the bar into right length pieces, then milled the back of them. After made the inserts for the studs. They were made on a lathe with a shoulder on them. The bars were drilled with a counterbore, and inserts were pressed in to bars. Tapped the inserts for the mounting studs, then milled the top of the bars. The inserts are coming loose. After milling the tops there wasn't enough left of the shoulder to keep it pressed?? Don't know for sure but will talk to my buddy tomorrow about them. I wanted to put some 08115 in the holes before we pressed the inserts in but my buddy told me we wouldn't need to.

I think the adhesive would have saved them but again not sure. He has a Duster that needs some work and the deal was I would match him hour for hour doing work on his Duster.

Definitely want to do another set.

Lou
Just remember I'll take the SCREWED UP ones & deal with those problems if you do another set!! :)
Johno

ArkansasComet

Post by ArkansasComet »

I'd also be interested in a screwed up set of bars!!! :D Those things are cool!

"Auto racing began 5 minutes after the second car was built." - Henry Ford

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Been kind of busy so haven't worked on Comet much. But talked to my buddy and he is able to fix the bars, which made me happy. He really isn't interested in making more tho. But will let you guys know if he changes his mind.

Did work some more on my dash. Wet sanded and buffed the pieces. Very happy with how they came out. Stuck the gauges and lights in it to see what it will look like.

Everything is just sitting in place nothing mounted, so not all gauges/lights are seated. Going to have to make new mounting brackets. The ones that came with gauges aren't wide enough to span the pipe the gauges sit in.

Cleaned my shop and made some space, next going to take it apart and paint engine compartment, aprons, rad support, etc

Lou

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Very nice Lou
tomb's 65

pro64

Post by pro64 »

Hey lou the gauges look great nice work.Looks like this weekend will be a good weekend for spraying primer humidity will be 40 % or so with mid 80 s for temp. Keep up the nice work 8)

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Been making progress on the Comet, slow,,, but still progress. While I have been saving for the paint I have been taking care of some of the smaller things. Started with the inside trunk and qtrs. I sanded and cleaned the insides of the qtr panels. Took all the factory sound deadening/undercoat stuff off and sanded with 60 grit. Took some wire bottle brushes to the inside qtr/wheel well seam and blew out with air gun with piece of brake line attached to it. I used POR 15 to coat everything. I used the satin which made it easier. Went on glossy and dried to a satin finish, so when I did second coat it was easier to see the difference. Also bought a few turkey basters from the dollar store. Filled the basters with POR and squirted down in to the inner wheel arch/qtr seam to get it good and sealed. Did from the door post all the way back to and including tail panel.

Couple pictures

Definitely got good coverage, the POR seeped thru all the seams and sealed everything from inside nicely. Next it will all get covered with either dynomat mat or Raam audio sound deadening mat. Depending on what I can get a better deal on.

I had some Raam Audio mat left over from another build so I did the panel between rear glass and trunk. Made some templates from the top to make it easier to cut and fit the mat.

Picture from underneath.

Big improvement when tapping the panel. Still may add a strip or two across it to deaden it some more. Panel was pretty tinny sounding to begin with.

While I had trunk lid off I sanded, epoxied, and primered the underneath.

All ready to wet sand and paint.

Also removed the hood fenders and doors to get it ready to paint.

With the car back down to the shell I repainted the dash. First time got some dirt in it and decided to redo it. This time I basically masked the rest of the car off to keep the dirt from getting in it.

Couple pictures of dash painted. Only a couple small specks of dirt that will nub out easy.

Also wet sanded the front aprons, rad support, firewall, and frame rails. Next I will paint those. I am using PPG Deltron BC/CC for the whole car.

Hopefully get back to painting next weekend but need to get paying stuff done first :(

Now that dash is done I can start installing/fitting the heater box, wiring, and sound deadening.

Slow but sure.....

Lou

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

As always, it looks really good. :D Glad to see paint going on.
One surprise is the gloss on top of the dash,will you leave it glossy?
Johno

pugs65

Post by pugs65 »

Beautiful Lou. That dash is awesome. Can't wait to see it done, Pugs.
302 roller
4 speed
Real cars are built to be driven and driven hard!!!

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Awesome work Lou. I love seeing the detail you go thru to get great results.
Question for you. What are you going to install behind the rear seat where there was just a piece of card board like material? I'm trying to think of something that would be more insulating and sound proof.
Tom
tomb's 65

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

x3...looks fantastic Lou!! That is one glass-like dash!!! :D :lol: :lol:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

poboyjo65 wrote:As always, it looks really good. :D Glad to see paint going on.
One surprise is the gloss on top of the dash,will you leave it glossy?
Thanks John, Yea going to leave it glossy. Went back and forth on the glossy vs non glossy and decided to do glossy. If it bothers me with glare later I will paint it satin or make some kind of cover for it.
tomb22 wrote:Awesome work Lou. I love seeing the detail you go thru to get great results.
Question for you. What are you going to install behind the rear seat where there was just a piece of card board like material? I'm trying to think of something that would be more insulating and sound proof.
Tom
Thanks Tom, the plan for the rear shelf is to make filler pieces out of 16 or 18 ga to fill in the openings, then sound deadening mat and then the cardboard like piece. It doesn't seem as tinny sounding as the piece between rear glass and trunk but still think some fillers and sound deadening will help a lot.

I have used the Raam Audio sound deadening mat on a few vehicles ( and like it) because it was cheaper than the Dynomat, but seems like the Dynomat may be more reasonable now. Still think the Raam Audio is going to save me a good bit but will figure that all out after I get paint on the car.

Pugs, Rocket, thanks for the kind words!

Lou