Lou's 65 Comet Build

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
Lou's Comet

Lou's 65 Comet Build

Post by Lou's Comet »

Thought I would post what I have gotten done on my Comet so far, I bought it off of E-bay but it was local so I did check it out first. Here are some pictures from when I got it.

I took the car down to the shell, Didn't have great plan but hpefully car will have some HP when done and definitly larger rear tires so I stich welded all the uni-body up front, going to do whole car.

Going for simple, smooth, uncluttered? Going to hid all wiring, put battery in trunk and paint engine compartment body color. The shelf where the batt. went will no longer have a purpose so I cut it out

I bought a left front apron for a 65 mustang. Trimmed it, flipped it, and welded it in. now both front aprons look the same except on one side has raised beads the other side recessed.

Pictures of it welded in and cleaned up

I am also welding up any holes or openings that I will not need. (maybe some that I will need. lol) on front aprons and rad support.

Some rad support before and after pictures

Got the front pretty much done still needs more but got to fit some stuff first.
Last edited by Lou's Comet on Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

popscomet

Re: Lou's 65 Comet Build

Post by popscomet »

WAY to go,looking great so far....pop
pop/glenda

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

I now have car on rotisserie so I can start on rear rails, I was originally going with the Crites spring relocation kit even thou I didn't really like the rear shackles. But wanted larger rear tires. Once I started taking measurements I seen that if I moved the rear rails in 5 inch's they would line up with the front rails.

This will give me plenty of room for tires, also make fabricating connectors easier, and just give a cleaner look in my opinion. I drilled out the spotwelds and cut the upper shock mount cross member in the middle and removed.the rail.

I cut 5 inches off of crossmember, Also left front spring mount on rail. I did it this way so that when I move the rail in all spring and shock mounts move in together. Also had to cut section of trunk out so rail could be moved in. Cut the trunk out pass tha rail so I would have a littl extra to play with when I get to the gas tank area. Her is what it looks like when I fit it

I cleaned up the rail, grinded off spot welds and sandblasted inside. Masked it off for POR. I will probably be cutting flange off of the rail where the wheel well is going to attach so I decided to box the rail . Made some pieces and fitted them. All the pieces I am making are 16 gauge same as the rail. here is rail with pieces fitted

Pretty much where I am at right now. next POR inside of pieces and weld the pieces in rail. Have the metal to fab up the connectors will start on thos too. I plan on finishing one side before I go to other.
Last edited by Lou's Comet on Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Lou;looks great! If your gas tank is good you can sell it,plenty of people looking for good stock 65 tanks.When you build your subframe connectors you can insert them into the front subframe ends by removing that end that closes them off.Mine came that way,we plug welded them through the existing hole and also around the ends.Having that rotisserie must make working the under side easier!! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

juddp39532

Post by juddp39532 »

Lou
Great mines ( or is it warped :mrgreen: ) think alike, I was thinking I might be able to swap the rear rails from side to side and have them line up with the rear spring shakle elliminating the Crites adaptor and it's weight from the rear of the car.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Lou,First of all welcome! i see you've recently registered.
It 'peers to me this isn't the first time you've done this!!
Really enjoy these pics, hope to see more as you go along.
Have you checked the holes in the cowl for the heater and vent?
Now would be the time if they need any attention.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

popscomet wrote:WAY to go,looking great so far....pop
Thanks pop, Still got away to go, would like to have it done for spring.

Groover

Post by Groover »

Looks great, and note to self, Rotisserie for Christmas ;)
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE wrote:Lou;looks great! If your gas tank is good you can sell it,plenty of people looking for good stock 65 tanks.When you build your subframe connectors you can insert them into the front subframe ends by removing that end that closes them off.Mine came that way,we plug welded them through the existing hole and also around the ends.Having that rotisserie must make working the under side easier!! ROY.
Thanks, Yea I still have the orig gas tank. May section it to fit over fuel cell so it looks stockish?? underneath. Haven't decided how subframe connectors will fit on front yet. inside the front rail is something I wil be looking at. I will be slicing floor so connectors fit up tight and weld them the length of floor.
juddp39532 wrote:Lou
Great mines ( or is it warped :mrgreen: ) think alike, I was thinking I might be able to swap the rear rails from side to side and have them line up with the rear spring shakle elliminating the Crites adaptor and it's weight from the rear of the car.
I was thinking about swapping rails TOO. But then the shock mounts would need to be re-fabbed. I really wanted all shock&spring mounts to move in together.
Not sure if I have great mind. But I am told a lot that I do things a little differently lol

Lou

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

SASSY wrote:Lou,First of all welcome! i see you've recently registered.
It 'peers to me this isn't the first time you've done this!!
Really enjoy these pics, hope to see more as you go along.
Have you checked the holes in the cowl for the heater and vent?
Now would be the time if they need any attention.
Fred
Thanks for the welcome Fred, LOL yea been working on cars for long time. I actually have my own shop, Just 1 man operation mostly bodywork/paint, lot of older stuff. some restorations. Been a long time since I did a car for myself and I am having a blast building one for me.
Yes I did check out the vent holes in cowl. seem pretty good but will blast from inside just to make sure no holes. If needing repair your right now is the time.
Groover wrote:Looks great, and note to self, Rotisserie for Christmas ;)
Thanks Groover, Doing frame off's the rotisserie is the way to go. Plus too old to be laying on back working on bottom of car lol

Lou

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

A big 10-4 on being to old to lay on back under one.............POP
pop/glenda

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Lou's Comet wrote: Haven't decided how subframe connectors will fit on front yet. inside the front rail is something I wil be looking at. I will be slicing floor so connectors fit up tight and weld them the length of floor.

Lou
here's how I did mine,,,,,,,,,ON MY BACK!~~~~~~~~~
http://www.cometcentral.com/forum/viewt ... 8&start=45
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Groover

Post by Groover »

Waaaait a minute... are we saying that the sedans don't have inner rockers like the drop tops? I don't see anything for the outer rocker panels to attach to?

... or is that just a '65 thing ;)
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

SASSY wrote: here's how I did mine,,,,,,,,,ON MY BACK!~~~~~~~~~
http://www.cometcentral.com/forum/viewt ... 8&start=45
Wow nice job.But BOY does that look cold....... I actually started on mine today and doing pretty much the same thing. I couldn't find rectangular tubing right size so going to make mine out of sheet metal 16 gauge. I bought 4 pieces 60'long 10'wide, will have to trim width.

Made a small sample piece today out of scrape. going to make 2 "U" channels and fit them together to form rail Made one with the ID I wanted and one larger to fit over first one.

When fitted together I get the ID I want.

I am going to run it inside of the rear rail back to the spring mount. here is how it will fit in rear rail.

For the front I am going to run it over the front rail up pass trans crossmember. I didn't want to take the time to cut small piece then have to cut the rail when I make it. So I made templets

Here is how connector will fit on front

I am going to spotweld the connector down the sides, cut the floor like you did and weld them in. The seam will be up and after they are in I will weld the seams.
I took the pictures today to post for opinions. What do you all think, be strong enough??
Thanks for opinions
Lou
Last edited by Lou's Comet on Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RCMike

Post by RCMike »

Opinions?

How about estimates? I know a guy with a 63 hardtop who needs some of that..lol

Mike
'63 Comet Hardtop