Lou's 65 Comet Build

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
Lou's Comet

Re: Lou's 65 Comet Build

Post by Lou's Comet »

vicegrip wrote:Yeah!...and check out the fitment of the fender extensions and the hood lip with that glass hood.Takes a lot of work to get those perfect.
Lou,clean out that booth,get her taped up and get some paint on that thing.Tired of looking at that primer. :)
Agreed, I am also ready to see paint. Just don't have the cash right now. I could afford to paint it now but would have to go with Omni instead of DBC. Both are produced byPPG but the Omni is their mid grade and a lot cheaper.

The Omni clear doesn't have the UV protection the DBC has. But the DBC clear is over twice as much. Omni about 180 gal setup. DBC about 560 gal setup. I need 2+ gallons of clear :( plus the black.

With all the work I have done I really want to use the good stuff Kwim?

If I don't have the cash by July then good chance I will go with the Omni.
lavron wrote:It certainly will be a nice one of a kind Comet, When I think about it nice probably doesn't do it justice.

See Ya,
Mike
Thanks Mike, Nice works!

Lou

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

I have a dumb question for you Lou. After looking thru your build which is pretty amazing I saw where you installed a wire for the trunk latch. Did you switch the latch and the catch end for end. I'm thinking of doing that so the lid would have the catch then I would install an electric release along with a wire release on the body. I'm putting the battery in the trunk and would like to make sure I can get in there if it goes dead.
tomb's 65

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Lou's Comet wrote:
poboyjo65 wrote:............
Lou when you wear the good off those tires if you want to sell them let me know! I need to do like you & find a set for fitment before I fork out the big money for a new set!!! dang they look good!!!
NP, you can have them when I get new ones. My fav view.....

I still have the cyclone rear wheel well trim for ya when you need it

Lou
I'll sure take you up on that when you get new ones! Thanks! Sometime when you get around to it get a shipping quote to 38320 for the wheel well trim, & I'll send you the cheese,be sure to put it in the paint fund. :lol: :lol:
that just happens to be my favorite view too! :mrgreen:
Johno

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

tomb22 wrote:I have a dumb question for you Lou. After looking thru your build which is pretty amazing I saw where you installed a wire for the trunk latch. Did you switch the latch and the catch end for end. I'm thinking of doing that so the lid would have the catch then I would install an electric release along with a wire release on the body. I'm putting the battery in the trunk and would like to make sure I can get in there if it goes dead.
Yea I am putting my batt in trunk too.. No didn't swap latch or catch, everything is in factory location. Are you getting rid of the key in the trunk? That is why I did the wire I eliminated the key in the trunk.

The wire was just temp to open trunk till I ran a cable, but then decided if I make the wire pull better I wouldn't need to run a cable.

Pretty easy, I just drilled a hole in the bottom of trunk to the right of the latch inside the gas door opening for the cable.

Originally I just attached the wire to the tab on latch and ran it thru the hole. Just pull the wire to open trunk. Problem was wire would break cause angle of pull wasn't the greatest. So I redid it with a stronger cable, (prob too thick cable) and made a lever that goes thru latch like the original Rod.

Here are the pieces I used, made a lever out of scrap, piece of e-brake cable, cable crimp?? the brass thingy, couple plastic bushings, cotter pin and washer.

How it all goes together. Attach the cable to the lever, insert the lever thru original hole with arm at 1 o'clock.

On other side insert the bushings to support the lever and keep it from rattling.

After installing bushings install washer and cotter key to hold it together.

Then when reinstalling on car run cable thru hole and mount the latch like it was originally.

To open trunk. Open gas door and pull cable....pop...trunk opens. Works real smooth, Nice and simple.

My cable is still long. Still need to cut to length. Looking for a cool knob to put on the end. Was going to put a little skull head on the end. (Like the ones used for tire valve caps) but then decided to wait and see f I can find a little Mercury head to put on it. So far no luck. Also need to put some kind of grommet/bushing into the hole in trunk where the cable comes thru so it doesn't rattle.

Lou

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

I love the whole idea, but are you going to either have a long enough cable so the trunk lid can go all the way up or are you going to re-feed the cable into your hole every time you pop the lid. I guess that is why I was asking if you swapped the 2 parts or am I missing something here. My latch is on the lid.
tomb's 65

Loner

Post by Loner »

Lou you might be able figure a way to use part of a 65 comet grill emblem for a lever on the end of your cable.

Matt

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

tomb22 wrote:I love the whole idea, but are you going to either have a long enough cable so the trunk lid can go all the way up or are you going to re-feed the cable into your hole every time you pop the lid. I guess that is why I was asking if you swapped the 2 parts or am I missing something here. My latch is on the lid.
My latch is on the trunk lid too. The hole for the cable is in the bottom of the trunk lid, so when the trunk lid goes up the hole does too. I am going to cut the cable so the knob is about 2" past hole.

Here is a picture with the trunk open

Lou

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Loner wrote:Lou you might be able figure a way to use part of a 65 comet grill emblem for a lever on the end of your cable.

Matt
Thanks Matt, I have a extra one will have to dig it out and see if it can be cut down to work.

Lou

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Ahhhh!!! I was missing something. Getting old sure is a bummer. The brain just doesn't come up with all the scenarios anymore. Thanks
tomb's 65

loman

Post by loman »

I am anxious to see Lou's car completed as well. As much time and effort and the attention to detail he has put forth, there is no doubt his car will be awesome.

LENYM

Post by LENYM »

Lou Wow, I just ran across your build I love it, It a few days to go through your build I like the way you did the floor tin to weld to the frame rails, I have been trying to figure how to do my floor to the frame looks Very Nice, you can tell you have been doing this all your life and loving it a passion Good job Black is were it's at. Leny Mason

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

LENYM wrote:Lou Wow, I just ran across your build I love it, It a few days to go through your build I like the way you did the floor tin to weld to the frame rails, I have been trying to figure how to do my floor to the frame looks Very Nice, you can tell you have been doing this all your life and loving it a passion Good job Black is were it's at. Leny Mason
Leny you hit the nail on the head, you have him pegged. Lou is who I followed when doing my floors ,rear frames & sub frame connectors. his pics ,descriptions & reasoning for why & how he did everything was very helpful. Of course everyone has to put a little twist differently but I basically copied most of Lou's build . I had been think along the same lines in daydreams, then found his thread with pics so helpful . One other thread I didnt know it at the time but turned out to be a kinda of famous car,, :lol: or copy of one, Steve Mcblanes tribute car of DYNO Dons Cyclone.I actually found it first & My build was little like both , I put my connectors inside the front rails like Steve did & Lou put his on the outside of the fronts. but here it is ;
http://www.cometcentral.com/forum/viewt ... f=9&t=1274
Really love what you are doing with your car ,,keep us posted!!!!
Johno

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Thanks Loman, thanks Lenny, yea been doing this all my life, and really do love it. Working on my Comet is my therapy, :)

Lenny you have a amazing build yourself!! How's that going.

Lou

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Finished the metal work on my dash face. Finished the end piece. Installed the rubber trim I have for between the new dash face and original metal dash. Bolted it back on a got my gaps right.

Now with everything in place I mad a templet for the finish pieces for the glove bow door, dash and end piece.

Here is what they look like installed. These hide the wasted space.

Still have a little adjusting and a little bow upper left of speedo to fix but for the most part the metal work is done. After fixing the bow and tweeking couple brackets it is all ready to take apart, seal the seams and start the paint process. Pretty happy with it. Feels very solid and don't think any of it will rattle.

Lou

LENYM

Post by LENYM »

Hi my frame is done the people that made the rear end made the bolt pattern for the wheels 5 on 5 and my wheels are one 5.5, so we are waiting for new hubs so it can go to the alignment shop to make sure it is close enough before we weld it to the car, I am excited and then my Wife said she would pay for the interior now that is a Cool thing. Leny Mason