Lou's 65 Comet Build

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Re: Lou's 65 Comet Build

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Lou;that color combo will be awesome!! It will really show off ALL the work you have put into the COMET!! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

5X…pretty amazing… :shock: :D :D :lol: :lol:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Thanks Guys, went back and forth on what color a few times. Originally was going with red. But there seems to be a lot of red ones, plus red is like 400 @ gal more. Fiancé wants me to paint it with "ghost flames" but even more expensive and pretty much impossible to touch up, match, or repair. I really like black. Still reasonably priced and very easy to match if need be later. Plus as what Roy said with how straight I got the car the black "should" really look good.

Lou

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I'll bet it will be the straightest,most beautiful black 65 comet ever! :D :D
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

BLACK on black is the way to go !! red cars are everywhere....that 65comet 2drht that I keep trying to buy from my HS teacher is b on b,and I recall way back in HS when it was new,just how sharp it was,,,,,,but it has a white headliner,seems it too should had been black,but on theother hand my comet is red on red with a white head liner,so reckon white is just in the eye of the beholder,,,,afterall,what does POP know :shock: :shock: ??...one thing for sure,your comet will be nice.....take care and good luck :D
pop/glenda

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

poboyjo65 wrote:I'll bet it will be the straightest,most beautiful black 65 comet ever! :D :D
LOL thanks John! Don't bet too much :) my goal is for something "I feel" is in top 10%
popscomet wrote:BLACK on black is the way to go !! red cars are everywhere....that 65comet 2drht that I keep trying to buy from my HS teacher is b on b,and I recall way back in HS when it was new,just how sharp it was,,,,,,but it has a white headliner,seems it too should had been black,but on theother hand my comet is red on red with a white head liner,so reckon white is just in the eye of the beholder,,,,afterall,what does POP know :shock: :shock: ??...one thing for sure,your comet will be nice.....take care and good luck :D
Thanks Pop. Yea I notice how a lot of cars from those years have white headliners. Don't really know why? My cardboard headliner was bad so I got bows and plan on putting a black cloth headliner in it.

Lou

pro64

Post by pro64 »

Hey lou black on black should be sweet. Goodluck

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

MAYBE the factory thought a white head liner would be better at night in the dark ?? :? :? ....I know that is the reason yrs ago when I painted the inside of my race car a light gray,,almost white it's so light tinted....but that could just be me.......pop
pop/glenda

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Thanks Pro, although when I seen that blue mustang had second thoughts for a moment or two :)

Pops, was thinking the same thing, brighten up interior. But who knows maybe they just had a lot of White material on hand lol

Lou

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Ok did the same thing to the drivers side this weekend. Blocked it out "again" ended up with a little more bare metal on the drivers side. But sprayed epoxy over where I sanded through, basically same areas.

Then sprayed the primer/surfacer.

Pretty much same result as pass side, just a little weird/low in the lower cove above wheel arch and toward back of door.
Will block the sides and coves out one more time before "Final" coats of primer, should take care of the low spots.

Also started figuring out my hood pins. Really been on the fence with the hood pins. One day I want them the next day I don't. But decided it would be a better idea to have them, just to be sure. Made some reference marks and layed them out.

When doing the measurements I use a cloth seamstress tape measure. Confirms to the body shape better and don't worry about scratching anything like I do with a metal tape measure.

The pins will be 2.5" in front of the hood bumpers. So I will have to make pedestals to mount on rad support for the pins. Haven't drilled the holes in the hood yet, going to think about it for another day. Weird how everything I have done to the car so far that I am hesitant to drill holes in the hood :|

But anyways plugging along.

Lou

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

NOW THAT SAYING MEASURE TWICE AND DRILL ONCE COMES INTO PLAY......SHE'S LOOKING GOOD !!pop
pop/glenda

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I know exactly how you're feeling about drilling.but my holes were 1.5'' ,big holes!! I was back & forth,kept changing the location. I would get it looking the best on top then would look at the bottom & decide to move it. I finally decided on a compromise between looking good and hitting part of the strongest part of the hood,without weakening it much,,,hopefully. I knew the edge was glued together so I'm about a half in that,& half in the ridge that was hollow. I wanted to use angle iron I had on hand for the pedestals, so that kept me from getting too far forward . but the idea of pedestals seemed the way to go,I could always change those if they didn't get drilled right but the rad support would be more tricky to hit if I had the pins coming up thru it.
Johno

Ratical

Post by Ratical »

https://m.summitracing.com/parts/qul-ql-50-lp-p

Here is a good option and they offer them in black. I bought the air cleaner one but there wasn't enough clearance between throttle body and air cleaner lid. Going to revisit it later. But I think this is a much better look than pins. Ring brothers also makes a trick option.
Be Good and You Will Be Lonesome

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Ratical wrote:https://m.summitracing.com/parts/qul-ql-50-lp-p

Here is a good option and they offer them in black. I bought the air cleaner one but there wasn't enough clearance between throttle body and air cleaner lid. Going to revisit it later. But I think this is a much better look than pins. Ring brothers also makes a trick option.
:lol: :lol: I already have some Rat, I got the little air cleaner one too! they're in my build thread. :lol:
Johno

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Ratical, yea like those! Like the polished, don't like the price tho :(
John has them on his car, they look very cool. The hairpin ones are more old school and seem to fit my build better, and definitely fit my wallet better lol. Tho really like The ones in the link like John used but polished. Just can't justify the price.

John your hood pins work well? What is the procedure? Do you just push the button's in then use the hood release? I was thinking that when you push the release button the hood would have to lift some for them to release, but the hood latch would keep the hood from lifting, kwim? When you close the hood do they just automatically latch? Was reading some of the reviews and one said the hood had to be flat for them to work. My hood is pretty close to flat where I am putting them but not completely flat. They are slick!!!
Did they come with gaskets??

Lou