poboyjos ride

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
poboyjo65

Re: poboyjos ride

Post by poboyjo65 »

Thanks Tom. I heard once that locks were to keep honest people out ,others would get in any way. :lol:
Johno

LENYM

Post by LENYM »

HI, just wondering if that picture was taken in Paris Texas I was there once. Leny Mason

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

No Leny it is Paris Tn., about 20 miles north of me.
Johno

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Love the relay cover too man!! :D :lol: :lol: :lol:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

pugs65

Post by pugs65 »

Johnnie your work looks great as usual. You never disappoint,Pugs.
302 roller
4 speed
Real cars are built to be driven and driven hard!!!

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

John, Nice job on the ac install. Noticed you shared the ac and ps pump on the same belt. I've done that on two different cars and it works real well and saves room on the front of engine. I also added a hood lock similar. Though I no longer have the ps pump since I installed the eps, removed the pump. The ps pump used to be my belt adjustment but now i have a seperate adjustment with the pump gone.
My hood latch handle is mounted just above the parking brake handle with a similar shaped handle labelled HOOD. Mine came off an edsel. I set it up to block the hood latch from releasing. You did the same thing. Works very well.
Under dash ac looking good.
Ron

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Well progress on the ac has slowed to a crawl. I blame it on the weather. :roll: I had a leak where the expansion valve attaches,so I ordered some of the coned copper washers to help seal the flared fittings. while I had the unit back out of the vehicle, & waiting on those I decided to order a new evaporator coil. I found a new ''high output'' one.thats what suckered me into buying it -''high output'' :roll: So but now all of the pressurized part of the system is new.

new coil from Santa - it has double the cooling tubes as the original coil did.

some pics of the old one on top of the new one

14 tubes in the old one & 30 in the new one.

Ho H0 HO !!! :P :mrgreen:
Last edited by poboyjo65 on Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johno

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

You'll be able to make your own personal snow storm on a humid day. :lol: :lol:
Jim

Groover

Post by Groover »

That's what I'M talkin' 'bout. :)
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Why go small when you can go BIG?!? :lol: :lol: :lol: Oughtta get the job done!!
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

comethead

Post by comethead »

poboyjo65 wrote:Well progress on the ac has slowed to a crawl. I blame it on the weather. :roll: I had a leak where the expansion valve attaches,so I ordered some of the coned copper washers to help seal the flared fittings. while I had the unit back out of the vehicle, & waiting on those I decided to order a new evaporator coil. I found a new ''high output'' one.thats what suckered me into buying it -''high output'' :roll: So but now all of the pressurized part of the system is new.

new coil from Santa - it has double the cooling tubes as the original coil did.

some pics of the old one on top of the new one

14 tubes in the old one & 30 in the new one.

Ho H0 HO !!! :P :mrgreen:
Holy mackerel! That new heat exchanger looks sweet!
Hope those cone warshers get that leak tightened up.
Better hurry....summer will be here quick before you know it! :mrgreen:
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Joe It probably doesn't even need the cone washers now. the new evaporator should take care of it, but since I had already ordered them I'll use them. the flare on the old evaporator line where it meets the expansion valve needed to be re-flared I think, it had a deformity, like it was tightened up wrong or something.

No hurry here Joe. temps have been too close to the 0°for any ac work. I think about putting the unit back in but it just dont happen. :? :roll:
Johno

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Well I decided to wait about reinstalling the ac unit & insulate my firewall better. I cant get under there with the seats in ,so that makes it more time consuming,>easier to procrastinate. just have too much fun driving it to take it out of service.
I put a leather steering wheel cover on but was not satisfied with it, so I made my own. it's actually 4 separate pieces. When I put the first one on covering the 4 SS bands up it looked kinda plain without them.

The store bought cover didn't fit my wheel good because of my epoxy build up a little fatter here & there so it really needed to be cut to fit. I did some practicing on stitching,watched a bunch of youtube vids, even some making baseballs :lol: but one guy doing wheels didnt say anything, sometimes he would put up descriptions on the screen explaining what & why he was doing . I really liked him & learned from him , & I made a jig kinda like his to hold the wheel.

I wanted a tight stitch, 1/8th'' apart .
the sides were a little tricky. One wrinkle on back of each spoke ,no way to get it out with out another seam, which wouldnt look bad,might even look kinda cool but I've got use to the feel of these wrinkles by now :lol: I forgot to get a pic of them.
I got a shoe repair shop to sew the 2 rolls of stitching on each side of the bands,leaving a channel in the ends for draw strings & whittled grooves beside the bands for the strings to draw into & hold each end stretched out.

You can see how much bigger it was, I whittled it down to the old wheel to make room for the doubled leather ends.& if I left it like this the draw string didnt want to seat down in the groove I made for it.

this is how it would have looked if I hadn't made room for the double thickness of leather edge
whittling the epoxy off made it fit better.

I haven't driven it yet ,,but it has a good feel,so far I like it.

good feel ,better grip, & will be warmer in the winter. so you have a lot of time to think while you're doing all that sewing. the quiet guy in the videos also covered a shifter knob in leather ,& I had watched the baseball making video ,I decided to try my luck & make a little leather jacket for my little 8 ball shifter knob. it's smaller than a real pool ball, bout 1 1/2'' diameter. It feels pretty good , I haven't seen anyone else with one so I think I'll keep it! :D

Last edited by poboyjo65 on Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johno

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

That's outstanding - awesome job, especially on the shifter! Now you're planting ideas for a cue ball I own that has certain "unspoken" historical significance from my Navy days . . .

Dan
Long time search complete, 65 Cyclone project in progress!

Groover

Post by Groover »

Dang, John... just Dang!
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...