poboyjos ride

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
lavron
Site Admin

Re: poboyjos ride

Post by lavron »

Looks good John, I like your stitching, that is what I am looking to do, I will have to watch those videos.

Glad I don't have the stainless bands but I think you were right in having them show, if I had them I would want them there.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

you did good ,JOHN,!!!.....I like it !!!...………...
pop/glenda

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Man! That looks good, John! You've got a boat-load of patience! :shock:
Jim

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Thanks Pop,Mike,DAN,Jim & Groover. Yea Mike I did a lot of work to keep the original hoop with the bands when I shrunk the wheel, I could have used the hoop off of a different smaller wheel & just welded it on my center hub & spokes, & then again when I covered the brittle cracked up hoop in epoxy was more work to make them show. I dont know why I was so anal about keeping them but I am & so when I put on the first cover it just didnt sit well with me. But if I do another one I'll take off the bands & make one solid cover & put the bands on top of it. I almost went that route but thought it might be more work but now I think it would be easier :roll: .
Dan the shifter knob was a lot easier than I expected, since it is so small compared to the s wheel. I used upholstery leather which is nearly a must for a steering wheel because it stretches. it stretches one way ,sideways on the cow but not so much the other way,up & down the backbone. so on a steering wheel you measure the ID of the hoop to cut your length, & the leather needs to be sideways (on the cow) to have the best stretch which it needs to stretch to the OD length. so on the shifter knob to keep it tight you need to cut the pieces a little big then trim down so that stretching them they are just long enough.
Johno

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

poboyjo65 wrote:But if I do another one I'll take off the bands & make one solid cover & put the bands on top of it.
How are the bands attached? I like them but when/if I go leather I guess they would be a hassle :roll: I never saw one with bands until I saw yours.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Awesome job John. Love the looks of that wheel. The nob looks great also.
Tom
tomb's 65

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Thanks Tom!!!
Mike they are on calientes . they are just pinched on . there is a split on the back side. the wheel would need a groove & shaped for the thickness of the leather & bands deep & extra room on sides of the bands.
Johno

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

How would you spread the bands to get them off/on without kinking them? Are they just flat, or do they have a turned down edge on either side? :?
Jim

comethead

Post by comethead »

Holy smokes that looks good Johnnie !! I need a leather steering wheel cover now! :x
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Thanks Joe! :D

Jim the bands are just pinched on like hogrings. I took one off my junky spare parts wheel , it didnt kink up . they are flat,about 5/16'' wide with beveled edges.so the flat part is about 3/16'' wide. they are fairly thick ,not flimsy.
Johno

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I had to dig but I found this old thread after Fred mentioned it, 2018 :shock: ! well I get sidetracked easy. I never did finish the ac, it's ready, waiting on me. new windshield been sittin on a daybed for 3-4 years with new seal on.It's been waiting on teardown day ,,,with a couple rust holes above the a pillars to fix,;during same teardown more floor & firewall insulation, so seats & carpet back out .(a thing I been kickin my self about since Skimped thru the first time with little time or effort,& suffering in the heat now for it). I want all that stuff done before I gas up the underdash ac & have it in the way. SO I'm saving that snowball for winter, hopefully this winter .

Been trying to fit these 29-15.0-15 tires out back. it seems like more fun to do & with the gentle spring riding days behind & too hot to ride much I figured now is a good time to have it semi out off the road. I just hate to take it out of commission during the pretty days!
having to use 3/8 wheel spacers because the guy who narrowed my rearend goofed up & cut it about 3/4 too short ,,or about 3/8 on each side. so I had it measured right :roll:
I made some mock up lowering blocks ,couple different sets,that let me move the axle back & forward . I went back 1 3/8 first, then 7/8. so now I'm making some better ones, aluminum ones to give it a test drive & possibly run for a while until I do the quarters .That way I can order the split mono leafs with the the pin in the stock location & keep using these block until then I'll try an inch back first. That was the goal * I have another 9'' diff set up with new 350 gears & a 1'' longer pinion yoke ,,,so hopefully my drive shaft will still be long enough. I haven't put it in yet ,I wanted to do some eyeballin before all that because I need to change a leaking axle bearing . I ordered 2 new ones.

This was at 1 3/8 back but near the back of the tub.
Kinda sounds funny but if the quarter was better I'd cut & move the opening but I just hate to open that can of worms right now because it has some bondo in that area . Still hope to find a good quarter some day.

so then I tried the axle back 7/8 & I got a 1/2 clearance to ft of opening so so if I move the axle to 1'' back I should have 5/8'' to front of opening. hoping that's enough.

I also ordered me a better late than never birthday present to my self. seemed to have good reviews . One guy said a pancake compressor would lift it. I think I'm gonna dig it.
I'm going to change to split mono leaf springs during this adventure too so it'll get tried out & broke in.
Johno

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:54 am
I had to dig but I found this old thread after Fred mentioned it, 2018 ! well I get sidetracked easy. I never did finish the ac, it's ready, waiting on me.
About time we see something on the Comet :P

Looking forward to whatever you do, I can relate with not wanting to tear something apart :roll: took me 20 or 30 years :lol:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

What's the lift on that air bag?

Jim

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:55 pm
What's the lift on that air bag?

Jim
Jim if you mean max height it says 15.75 & min is 5.9 which is probably more closer to right than the title which says 17 & 5.3 ,contradicts itself in the ad;
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Triple-Bag-Air ... 2749.l2649

It came in today,the feet were turned up on edge,,,different from the pics & almost fell over frontwards when trying to stand it up so after putting it all together I took it all back apart & welded some 1/4'' thick metal feet on the bottom & got it painted with some rattlecan. typical chinese junk. also I'm making a hook on a broom stick to set the jackstands without putting any vidal body parts under the car until the jack stands are in place,,,,& if I gotta get under there & work I always put an extra set of stands under the rear torxboxes so they cant miss,,, for peace of mind.

Yea Mike I try to do the quicker jobs during summer if I do anything to it. I hate it when its all tore apart & a beautiful day pops up & I cant get er out.
Johno

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Now I have seen the color photo and I have another build thread to read back to front. Your car is beautiful and the metal work is outstanding!
How did you get the hood the way it is?
-----------Doug----------
Oz never gave nothing to the tin man that he didn't-didn't already have-Image