Steve's 64 Comet Project

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
66sevets

Steve's 64 Comet Project

Post by 66sevets »

OK guys, and gals too, It's a funny story how I came about this project, maybe luck, maybe fate, who knows. I just returned June 29th from a 3 year stint working in Brazil. while I was there, there was not that much to do but drink and go to the beech. I did that for the first 6 months. I was in the states for Christmas 2010 in Portland, Oregon, at a friends home and was doing a search on Craigslist for a 427 FE. I found a block and bought it. I wanted it to put in my 66 Cyclone because it has 427 tags on the fenders but has a stroked 390 in it and I am tired of the tags without the motor. So I proceed on buying all the parts I need to build a stroker 454 with this 427 block. I buy all the parts and have them delivered to my friend in Portland's house and go there in July 2011 for my vacation. I drop all the parts off at a machine shop to get my motor built and return to Brazil. Some time in early November I get a call from the shop, they tell me the block is bad and has a chunk knocked out of the rear cam journal, it's junk! I have already bought new heads and all the parts so I am totally bummed out. I look for a replacement but the prices are high and I'm in Brazil so ther is no way to look at anything. I decide to buy a brand new block. I bought a Pond Aluminum side oiler block. Then I figure I need to not waist it and get a 4.25 stroke crank. Then I figure I need better heads and call Kieth Craft. I buy his stage 2 Edelbrocks. Then I figure I need to pull this motor hard to 7000 and I buy a solid roller cam. Then I figure I need to feed this beast so I buy a tunnel wedge dual quad intake. Then I figure I need some good carbs so I buy a set of 660 center squirters. And so on goes the story. So I have all these parts and return from my 3 years in Brazil to Detroit Michigan, my home town. The first thing I do is get my 66 Cyclone down off the jack stands and put a battery in it. This beast fires right up once it gets gas to the carb, what a great car! Stroked 390, 428 crank, .030 over, CJ heads, solid lifter Crane cam, Hooker headers, TKO 5 speed, 4:11 trac lok, sweet as can be. I drive it and it's awesome! I would be an idiot to take this car apart! So I am half heartedly looking for something with a cage to put this all aluminum 482 into. 2 weeks ago this 64 Comet pops up in the classifieds of the FE forum, I see the ad and e mail for photos. The man sends me these photos of this cool as hell Comet with all the parts, new, to put it together! The pictures are awesome and I e mail him and start negotiating. Within a few minute we agree and it's mine. I clear out my trailer and head to Indiana the next Saturday. When I get to guys house and see the car and parts I am shocked, this thing is way better than I ever imagined, I could not get the money out fast enough. How this car car sat for sale on the Hamb for so long without someone snatching it up I will never understand, but man am I glad. So I bought it and brought it home. Now I have a spot to stick this motor, and by the way, for you FE guys, it is being built by Survival motorsports! It's getting late, I'm really tired and don't want to just write more crap so I will pick it up tomorrow evening, tell more of my plans and post some photos. It's too cool! Steve
Last edited by 66sevets on Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Re: Steve's Bad Ass 64 Comet AFX Project

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Steve;sounds great!! Ken Godsey[Mercuryjunky]has a Survival Motorsports FE in his 64 Comet,runs easy 9 second ETs.Crites makes a FE installation kit for 64-65,Falcon and Comets if you plan on keeping the stock type front end[required if you plan on running N/SS],I used their tower notching patterns on my Comet.Good luck with the project. ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

Ratical

Post by Ratical »

Strange that 65 drivers are the two first to welcome you and you Awsome 64. but it sounds like a great project. looking foward to seeing your build...
Be Good and You Will Be Lonesome

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

POPs and his red 64 welcomes you ,I'm guilty of goofing off and thinking I ;ll welcome him in a minute or so ,but start suffering from brain ...fade.but I got enuff gray hair to kinda get forgiven ..time to time.....sounds like you gonna have a kick a--,64,,,once again welcome pop
pop/glenda

66sevets

Post by 66sevets »

Hi Guys, Thanks for the kind words. Here are some photos and a bit more of the story. I bought this car from a guy in Indiana, I live south of Detroit in SE Michigan. When I picked the car up the guy told me he had just gotten it from Michigan not far from where I live. He gave me the guys name and info. It turns out he lives 10 minutes from me and his brother lives in the same town. Not only that but his brother had a labor day party that we both were at, small world! Anyway the guy who did the framework to this car is a metal worker. I'm sure you guys are Ford fans and know the Bob Ford Thunderbolt which was driven by Len Richey. This guys dad was childhood, lifelong friends with Len and, his dad built the Bob Ford Thunderbolt clone with Len advising! So this car was being worked on for 15 years using templates from the thunderbolt. Check out some of these photos and look at the craftsmanship this man put into this car. I have never had such a cool and well built to start with in my life.

Last edited by 66sevets on Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

66sevets

Post by 66sevets »

Oops, hit the wrong button, I have more!

Last edited by 66sevets on Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

SUPER !! when you have something like that to start with...be ware now your personal work will be in the LIME light !good luck ,,,WE all will be watching :D it's is and gonna be awsom :D pops
pop/glenda

66sevets

Post by 66sevets »

Here's the top half of what I got for a motor.
My Mercury Lightning bolt valve covers! No dents!

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Great car and story! You will be happy with Barry and anything FE you need from him. The guy that does my motor work used to balance Barry's stroker assemblies till a few years ago when Barry started doing them in house. Love the Mercury lightning bolt valve covers, but they did not come out till 65 so I guess you better give them to me. :P Hope to make it over soon to check it out. Larry
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

RCMike

Post by RCMike »

I'm sorry...

But this whole car is just too cool!

Can't wait to follow the build!
'63 Comet Hardtop

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Ratical wrote:Strange that 65 drivers are the two first to welcome you and you Awsome 64. but it sounds like a great project. looking foward to seeing your build...

Unlike 65 drivers, I read the story first then welcome new members!!
So I read a little slow :mrgreen:
TOO COOL!!
Welcome
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Fred;it is because we 65 owners are all pleasant and genuinely nice people!!!!We also noticed he is installing a BIG FORD engine!!!! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

ya noticed there is a bit of a rivilry (spelling will vary country to country,,,,,,,,,,,,person to person :lol: )
but 64 guys seem to be winning on the maximum and minimum CID front :mrgreen:
Caution new people will notice there threads seem to wonder away,
and be stollen not to worry, it's all good.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Fungus

Post by Fungus »

This will be a fun one to watch come together! Great start! 8)
1965 Caliente 2dr Hardtop

spike

Post by spike »

Let me know if you need original NOS seat covers for the front buckets as I have them for sale?