Steve's 64 Comet Project

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
poboyjo65

Re: Steve's 64 Comet Project

Post by poboyjo65 »

Lookin good! this is going to be a nice car with a nasty attitude ! :lol: :lol: :lol: kinda like those little red innocent looking peppers. :lol: :lol:
Johno

Tbart

Post by Tbart »

I'm going to have to come up with another word for "AWESOME!" How about "SUPERLATIVE!" Naw, WICKED, F#%KIN AWESOME!

66sevets

Post by 66sevets »

Moved my master cylinder over an inch and installed the hydraulic clutch master cylinder. Also hammered the Galaxie tunnel out to fit in place. Rough but it will work.

Have to notch the steering column to clear the brake pedal
Tunnel as cut out of the Galaxie
After hammering on it with a ball pean and a 4x4
Extended the fuel pickup to the rear of the tank. Repop tank by the way

ec164

Post by ec164 »

Got me nervous now Steve looking on how tight the Fe is with master cyl.. I had mine(engine) in but no valve covers or master at the time, those headers are mighty tight also. Nice work though, your ahead of me-keep digging.........Al
Your ahead in a Mercury....all the way!

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Steve;looks great!! Most guys I know with FEs in their Comets have had to move the MC over to clear! Could you tweak the pedal arm to clear the steering?I see you cut the floor brace and the car did not fold in half[mine has been gone since 1973]!!! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

66sevets

Post by 66sevets »

ec164 wrote:Got me nervous now Steve looking on how tight the Fe is with master cyl.. I had mine(engine) in but no valve covers or master at the time, those headers are mighty tight also. Nice work though, your ahead of me-keep digging.........Al
Hi Al, Are you using the crites mounts and headers? If so it's very tight. I ended up cutting the Crites mounts to position the motor with the headers on and then re welded them. The Crites mounting hole locations just weren't working, Problems with A arm bolts so I went with aftermarket to eliminate the bolt sticking through.
and getting it to sit level

I think I spent 4 weekends just getting the motor and trans to sit properly. Tried every combination of the Crites mounting holes and none seemed to work. After all that I didn't want to fight with the clutch linkage.

Sits in there nice now

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Steve;I turned my upper A-Arm bolts around so the bolt heads are in the bay,it was tricky as they had to be EXACTLY the right length!!! ROY.

ec164

Post by ec164 »

Yes it does, looks really nice.
I worked with(Ernie) my chassis builder and agreed to the idea he had, but still used factory style control arms (tublar) uppers built by him in chrome moly, upgraded to 65 steering, Shelby drop, using front and mid plate, and Ernie made my headers in 2.125 stepped to 2.250, install one at a time. Looks like you have Ed med.riser heads which I chose as well. We're both in MI we'll both end up at same place this summer and can talk much more. Keep up the good work!.........Al

ec164

Post by ec164 »

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE wrote:Steve;I turned my upper A-Arm bolts around so the bolt heads are in the bay,it was tricky as they had to be EXACTLY the right length!!! ROY.
He made a bracket and install eye bolts kinda like a ladder bar, and can still adjust length for alignment, saves room.......Al

66sevets

Post by 66sevets »

Good idea on turning the bolts around but I was kind of looking for an excuse to get the uppers. I cut that floor brace out after reading one of your old posts Roy. Old posts have helped me out quite a bit

ec164

Post by ec164 »

your on the ball Steve, appears you lifted engine and turned them around today! NICE...........Al

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

I really like those Total Control Upper A-Arms!!Good to hear somebody pays attention to my opinions!! ROY.

383MERC

Post by 383MERC »

Any chance you could shoot me a picture of what you did for the upper shock mounts? I may have the same situation after moving my springs inboard. I didn't go quite as far as you, but this was a concern I had. I have not mounted mine back in yet. Thanks! Mark
1963 Comet S-22 Drag Car
1964 Fairlane 2 door sedan T-Bolt Clone
2007 Shelby GT
1989 LX 5.0 Convertible

66sevets

Post by 66sevets »

Kind of a hack job compared to some you guys but it worked. I bought a pair of 68 fairlane front upper mounts off ebay figured out where the shocks needed to be and used a hole saw and put 2 inch holes in the channel. Cut the mounts I bought up so the only had one of the 3 legs to bolt to the channel. Hammered and welded, ground, hammered and welded.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Mark I have my old crossmember & it is off the car if you want it or parts of it. It'd be easy to cut off what you need & ship it to you for the price of the stamps. let me know if you want it.
Johno