Steve's 64 Comet Project

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
popscomet

Re: Steve's 64 Comet Project

Post by popscomet »

That dude looks great,,you've done a nice job so far,,there's something about a 2x4 set up !! POP
pop/glenda

66sevets

Post by 66sevets »

poboyjo65 wrote:Steve how about an update. :D I know you have done more than just wait on door panels! :lol: :lol:
Hi Pop, I just got started back on it, I ruptured my Achilles tendon in April trying to push my burning truck away from my car trailer coming home from Beaver Spring FE reunion. I had 2 surgeries on it and got out of the cast in October. 3 months of physical therapy started working in the garage in November. That made waiting for door panels easier. I'll get some photos of the car up shortly

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

SCARY!! Glad to hear you are recovering OK!That could/was a scary ordeal!! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

OH! the comet musta been in the trailer. I woulda done the same thing. Glad it was no worse than it was,hate you got hurt & lost a truck but that's better than you or the comet. that kind of a wound takes a long time to heal from what I've heard.
Johno

66sevets

Post by 66sevets »

Yep scary and painful! .... I got to get out in the garage in November for a couple weeks here's some photos. I mounted the 5 point harness too.
Got to show my new door panels again! Beautiful!
Got my Bostrum Buckets recovered and mounted. I think there are before photos on the first or second page.
Started mounting the wiring harness, Battery cables, fuel line, brake lines. I actually have working brakes and clutch. I have the tunnel removable as suggested by Roy and Tom P on the FE Forum
The master cylinder and reservoir for the clutch are hardly noticable. The line lock is tucked down under there too.
Got my battery box and fuel tank mounted in, I can actually power it up now although I haven't yet.
Got my fan shroud all set and made some yellow headlights.
Got my steering column mounted after having to dissect it to get it in with the roll cage. Got my gauge placement all worked out.

So this is where I am with this build. I need to paint the doors and start putting the glass in next. I'm just winging on this so if you something wrong let know.

66sevets

Post by 66sevets »

poboyjo65 wrote:OH! the comet musta been in the trailer. I woulda done the same thing. Glad it was no worse than it was,hate you got hurt & lost a truck but that's better than you or the comet. that kind of a wound takes a long time to heal from what I've heard.
Had my R Code Galaxie in the trailer
Truck before
Truck after

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Nice lookin Gal Steve. A friend of mine had a truck just like that ,same color ,with the visor & thing behind the cab, maybe even the ground effects but not sure about that part.
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Sometimes if it wasn't for bad luck a fellow won't have any luck at all,huh? But OL POP is thankful you seem to have gotten thru your bad luck....glad your getting along as you are,,keep one eye on the heavens and the other in front of ya...it could have been a heck of alot worse.....hang in there and keep on ,,keeping on.......ever find out what started the fire????,,thank you OL POP :? :shock:
pop/glenda

comethead

Post by comethead »

Wow! Glad your ok!
Beautiful Galaxie! (Theres a new section here for non-Comets if you want to share more about her!)
Awesome job on the Comet...it looks stunning!

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

afx1964

Post by afx1964 »

Comet looks good Steve. One of these days I hope to figure out (take the time) how to post a few pictures of the one I am working on too. Right now it is in so many parts spread all over the garage pictures wouldn't show much other than I have a lot of work to do. You and Al are definitely ahead of me.

65clevorcyclone

Post by 65clevorcyclone »

Did you cut out all of the inner ducting for the hood? I bought a ram air hood and the ducting was cut out. Id be interested in buying it if u still have and would ship?

65clevorcyclone

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE wrote:Looking more complete with everystep!! I have a teardrop coming for my 65,going to do a similar setup as I only have about 1/2" clearence from carb to hood now!! ROY.
If u cut the ducting out id be interested in buying it aswell

66sevets

Post by 66sevets »

65clevorcyclone wrote:Did you cut out all of the inner ducting for the hood? I bought a ram air hood and the ducting was cut out. Id be interested in buying it if u still have and would ship?
I just cut it straight down from the teardrop, I have the piece but I don't think it's enough for what you need, I was thinking of using it to make a ram air gasket.

65clevorcyclone

66sevets wrote:
65clevorcyclone wrote:Did you cut out all of the inner ducting for the hood? I bought a ram air hood and the ducting was cut out. Id be interested in buying it if u still have and would ship?
I just cut it straight down from the teardrop, I have the piece but I don't think it's enough for what you need, I was thinking of using it to make a ram air gasket.

No problem! Yea someone cut mine out right up against the outter bracing that runs around the perimeter of the underside of the hood.

65clevorcyclone

Your car looks spectacular by the way. Bery nice work!