Joe's '65 Caliente

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
comethead

Re: Joe's '65 Caliente

Post by comethead »

poboyjo65 wrote::P bump :P
:lol: :lol: Thanks Johnnie!
Well no current update. She’s running great but is marooned in the back of my garage behind the Falcon. (Which is still front and center for the roll cage installation).
Still need to do a cam swap and change to roller tip rockers for a little more power.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Joe I had trouble finding your thread to show someone something in it so I bumped it up. had been since 2016 since anything was said on here. :lol: :lol:
Johno

comethead

Post by comethead »

poboyjo65 wrote:Joe I had trouble finding your thread to show someone something in it so I bumped it up. had been since 2016 since anything was said on here. :lol: :lol:
Damn that’s how good I fixed it!!! No issues! 8)

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

comethead wrote:
poboyjo65 wrote:Joe I had trouble finding your thread to show someone something in it so I bumped it up. had been since 2016 since anything was said on here. :lol: :lol:
Damn that’s how good I fixed it!!! No issues! 8)
You did good Joe! 8) probably wont have many issues with it trapped & blocked in the back of the garage! :lol: :lol:
Johno

comethead

Post by comethead »

You’re right! It won’t break if I ain’t driving it :cry:

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

comethead wrote:You’re right! It won’t break if I ain’t driving it :cry:
I know you got tunnel vision right now trying to get that race car done. :lol: :lol: but dont let the comet clabber up.
Johno

comethead

Post by comethead »

After watching that red 64 Comet crash and that dude imbed his teeth into the dash I decided it was time for some 3 point seatbelts in the front.
Seatbelts Plus has some good looking chrome lift latch non retractable belts for about $55 each.
I used the stock mounting positions and chrome bolts for the lap belts. And I drilled a 1/2” hole into the b-pillar for the shoulder belt.
The fit is good and they feel more secure than the lap belts.

https://www.seatbeltsplus.com/product/CH300-Black.html

No interference between the door and bolt head with the door closed

Now my teeth and the car shall remain separated forever :D

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

This has been on my mind since seeing that video. For a guy who never wore a seat belt for the first 30 years or more of driving until they said click it or ticket,,, I sure do feel naked without that shoulder harness now days. Not only for the safety but to keep from getting pulled over by some young cop who didnt know these old cars didnt come with & aren't required to have seat belts & shoulder belts.

But I swear I never thought about mounting down on the b pillar like that Joe. Thanks for sharing that idea! did you just drill that hole with everthing in place from the outside drilling inward?
Johno

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

I'm interested in this, too. Do you think the retractable universal 3-point would work using an angle to mount it to the floor next to the rocker? Any way to mount it to the rocker directly? :?
https://www.seatbeltsplus.com/product/WSCH300.html

Jim

comethead

Post by comethead »

Hey Johnnie whenever I need ideas for the Comet or Falcon I always Google “1965 Mustang…” in this case 3 point seatbelt. I wasn’t disappointed. I found this video from CJ Pony https://youtu.be/DC6Uk5g9y6o
So I can’t take credit for the idea :lol:
But unlike in the vid I didnt take anything apart. I just drilled through the pillar and trim at the same time.
Kinda tough finding solutions with the hardtop. The position of the shoulder belt isn’t optimum like in a newer car, but once its all adjusted and snugged up it is DEFINITELY an improvement over just the lap belts.

Joe
Last edited by comethead on Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

comethead

Post by comethead »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:02 pm
I'm interested in this, too. Do you think the retractable universal 3-point would work using an angle to mount it to the floor next to the rocker? Any way to mount it to the rocker directly? :?
https://www.seatbeltsplus.com/product/WSCH300.html

Jim
Hey Jim I think it would work. I ordered just one non retractable belt for fitment. I figured its the simpler one to mount. But check out the vid I posted above. He mounts the retracting unit to the floor next to the rocker. Not sure if the seatbelts plus unit is similar in mounting to the CJ Pony unit.

Joe

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

A video is worth 10,000 words! Certainly looks doable, and the Seatbelts Plus link to the retractable unit I posted looks like it would mount the same way. Thanks for posting this stuff! :D

Jim

wgreggking

Post by wgreggking »

Did this long time ago when my boy was driving the comet:
I removed the rear side window metal top part, and bolted it just under that. Its between the interior metal trim piece and the flange of the uni body just inside. looks to be a 1/2 in bolt with some washers, it swivels about 3/4s of an in.
I used the whole setup from a Chevy S10 including the re-tractors. Fed the S10 buckle between the seats used the floor bolts that were in the comet. Has flip forward each side seats.
Image 64 caliente 302 auto

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

My wife wouldn't ride in the car without shoulder harnesses. So I installed a roll bar and mounted the shoulder harness on it.

tom
tomb's 65

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Back in the day I had 3” lap belts and shoulder harnesses that went to the top loop of the roll bar. For this build I added a curved cross bar to support the shoulder harnesses and went to a more comfortable 2” lap belt. The cross bar is positioned so the shoulder harness is at the correct angle per the manufacturers specifications.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”