mahors 1964 comet pro street build

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
mahorsc

mahors 1964 comet pro street build

Post by mahorsc »

hi all by request of Tristan i am going to start a build thread of my pro street comet
i am shooting for next July (2015) as a finish date
this all started when i finish my chemo treatments i was looking for some thing to do i had been down for over a year
this car showed up on craigslist and i knew i had to have it
when i was young i bought a 65 cyclone one owner hipo for $250 now remember this is 1976 me and that car went through a bunch the hipo was put in a corner and we went through like 3 motors in 12 years blew up my first motor in that car ran my first 7 sec 1/8 mile my first 12 sec 1/4 mile ran through my first wife lol
i loved that car but money got tight and i sold it it went back home and that guy still has it and wont sell it back to me
but any way i bought the 64 in Sept and started ordering parts and trying to figure out what i was going to do
it had a coil over strut front end i did not like so i knew i was going to change that it had a few issues with roll cage thought i could fix that
so i looked it over and decided tubs would be first as i got into it i found a bunch of stuff way out of whack so now i am in a panic so i started to really look things over found roll cage bars to small the guy did not plate cage any place
so Charlotte autofair was in a few weeks so i waited and took some cash and went looking for a new back half and a front end
so about an hour into walking around i found a booth for Checkered racing out of Indiana he had both parts i got way to excited and we got to talking he said let build you a chassis
i went home thought about it for maybe 10 mins and i called him and ordered a chassis this guys are great ordered on Monday it was done on friday
so Tristan and i made a road trip firs t to Cincinnati ( i have a 6 month old with cancer in hosp there ) got to see my grand-baby then we drive over and picked the chassis up this thing is bad ass all tig welded mustang frt 4 link rear Qa1 shocks polished rack just amazing
so its home body is mounted waiting on roll cage so now i will post what pix i have and go from here
Last edited by mahorsc on Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fairlaniac

Re: mahors 1964 comet pro street build

Post by fairlaniac »

Mahors,
Quite a journey you've had getting to this point. Sorry to hear about the Chemo days and the little one's issues. I hope everything works out.

I don't have much advice on the '64 but our paths may parallel each other a bit. I just bought a '64 and plan on pro streeting it. I'll have a little more work ahead as I have some sheet metal to deal with. I just bought a 4 link back half kit. Pro64 (Harry) from here has gone through some of this and has answered some questions that I had going into this. A couple guys local to me have some nice big tire Comets. Tunnelport (Steve) from here has a bunch of pictures of his '65 racecar which may help with your project. I've been on here about 6 weeks and found a lot of info poking around at old posts. Good luck and look forward to seeing more of your Comet. Mine won't get started until fall. I'm currently build a new garage and move everything from the attached to the detached by summers end.
Doug Bender
1964 Comet Caliente
1966 Fairlane 427/4 Spd

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Mahors;first off WELCOME to the site!!WOW,a bunch of new COMETS being built,I LUV IT!!!Sounds like you have a plan and a good solid foundation for your build!!I have had my 65 COMET for over 47 years,been built and rebuilt too many times,currently[since1990s]is a low 10 second drag car.If you have any questions post them,someone will shoot you advice!!! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

Tristan

Post by Tristan »

WooHoo! Bout time! I'll help ya get the pics up!
ImageImage

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Welcome!! 64's are comin on!! :lol:
So what's the plan under the hood?
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

pro64

Post by pro64 »

hey welcome sorry about your adversity anyway I can help just ask 8)

Tristan

Post by Tristan »

For your viewing pleasure, in chronological order from the day he brought it home to the day we got the body around the chassis.

ImageImage

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Looks good and solid!Are the front wheels centered?They look like they are rearward a little!! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

I like that,,thats gonna be a sweet ride....pop
pop/glenda

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

And RED!!!
Perfect!!
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

fairlaniac

Post by fairlaniac »

What size are those rear wheels and tires?

Thanks,
Doug Bender
1964 Comet Caliente
1966 Fairlane 427/4 Spd

Tristan

Post by Tristan »

I can't remember the size but I'm sure he'll chime in. I can say that the pictures don't do the tires justice. Every time I went over there and saw them I couldn't stop shaking my head in disbelief.. They are monstrous!
ImageImage

mahorsc

Post by mahorsc »

hi all yea that pic we had not squared car up wheels are center now
rear wheels are 15x15 with 31 18.5 tires
motor is still up in the air i am thinking bbf blown or 8 stack i sill have to talk to engine guy and see how close to 1000hp we can get

mahorsc

Post by mahorsc »

roll cage showed up today i think i need to make another call to jegs what a run around

fairlaniac

Post by fairlaniac »

mahorsc wrote:hi all yea that pic we had not squared car up wheels are center now
rear wheels are 15x15 with 31 18.5 tires
motor is still up in the air i am thinking bbf blown or 8 stack i sill have to talk to engine guy and see how close to 1000hp we can get
What is the back spacing on your rear wheels and axle flange to flange? I'm doing a 4 link back half on my '64. I'm trying to find time to draw the car and chassis on CAD but after doing all day for a living it's tough to go home and do it too.

When you pull your rear wheel/tire off, can you clear the lug studs without issue?

thanks!
Doug Bender
1964 Comet Caliente
1966 Fairlane 427/4 Spd