My first 1964 Caliente/Comet project

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
popscomet

Re: My first 1964 Caliente/Comet project

Post by popscomet »

Lou's Comet wrote:
Groover wrote:Lou,

That first puller is exactly what I have and have used on my 64. And that "pull but don't hit yourself in the face" method was what Pop's told me to do... but I got the puller anyway :)
The puller IS the safer bet. But did pull a lot of them when I was young with the junkyard method.

Lou
The closest I ever came to getting fired from the RAILROAD,was when I told the SHOP SUPT the junkyard method of pulling the steering whl and he forgot to leave the nut on by a few threads........he damn near broke his nose and suffered a heck of a nose bleed and the next day both his eyes were sorta black..........my only saving grace was ,,BOSS,I told you,,,, leave the nut on the shaft,,,do not remove it,completly,,,he use to play PRO baseball before his stint at the RR,he had some pretty good arms on him,when that whl popped off,he was pulling with such a force that he fell backward and broke the seat back on his son's 66 mustang and landed in the back seat,,his wife later told me when she ran outside to see what all the screaming and hollaring and loud cussin was about he was crawling out the back seat with both hands on his nose and blood was streaming off both elbows.THE next day I had to be at work at 3pm,when I walked into the building a couple of other foremans said stay out of the big mans sight for awhile ,,about that time I saw him with a big bandage across his nose and those black eyes and ,cause I didn't know at the time what had happened to him,,,and I started laughin and asked hey your ole lady kick your ass??he let out a few choice verbs and nouns and pro nouns and such and as soon as he said steering whl,,,I said boss...now you know why I told you ,,do not remove the nut all the way !! :shock: HE was a great guy,the good lord has called him HOME,,but we had lots of laughs over it before he passed away,thanks POP
pop/glenda

comethead

Post by comethead »

Man I've never had ANY luck with junk yard methods. I'm the kinda guy that'll really F things up if I don't follow the book.
But whacking the spindle to remove the tie rod seems to work for me...sometimes...when I'm not missing the hit and damn near removing my buddy's face!!! :lol:

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

comethead wrote:Man I've never had ANY luck with junk yard methods. I'm the kinda guy that'll really F things up if I don't follow the book.
But whacking the spindle to remove the tie rod seems to work for me...sometimes...when I'm not missing the hit and damn near removing my buddy's face!!! :lol:

Joe
I nearly beat my little finger off with a BFH doing the junk yard method,on a 65 mustang....damn that hurt....pop
pop/glenda

Red Lehr

Post by Red Lehr »

Had the chance to work on the Caliente today for the first time this spring. Took the front fenders off,doors, inside outside windshield trim,tail light assm. etc. Getting the rear passenger windows out was a task...
There is a piece of formed sheet metal that sits between the front fender and the door,(it is sitting on the front wheel now)it sits even with the fire wall. This piece of metal is shot,do I need to make a new one,or are they available ??
Red
1964 Comet Caliente/1964 Galaxie 500

Groover

Post by Groover »

Red,

Is it metal with a rubber lip? That's the splash guard. I never found one repopped on the metal, but you can get the rubber and staple kit. Since it's out of sight, I just patched mine up, filled in the holes with weld, and put the new rubber piece around.

Great to see the car work started.
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

Red Lehr

Post by Red Lehr »

Question, does the chrome strip come off the windshield before the glass comes out ??

Here is my splash guard,needs work.....

does the trim around the windows come off so the car can be media blasted ?

Thanks,
Red

fairlaniac

Post by fairlaniac »

Red,
The trim stays on. I cut the old windshield seal with a utility knife on the top and sides on the outside and pushed the glass out from the inside.

The gutter trim I used an old fashioned bottle opener, the kind with the rounded end and the "tang". Once it was started as few inches in came off like a banana peel.
Doug Bender
1964 Comet Caliente
1966 Fairlane 427/4 Spd

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Those mud-trash guards are the same on ALL 64-65 Falcons and Comets,might be easier than repairing that one!The stainless needs to come out with the rubber,like was said,easiest way is to cut the rubber and push out the glass,stainless and rubber,DO NOT damage the stainless!! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

They were a different shape depending whether 6 or v8. Falcons with a v8 have a torque box which made the shape of the splash guard different. Don't know if Comets were done the same way.
Ron

Red Lehr

Post by Red Lehr »

20181206_165754.jpg
20181206_165754.jpg (237.46 KiB) Viewed 4108 times
Well, it's been a while since I've had a chance to work on the Comet, but now that my 64 Galaxie is done ,it's time to start on the Pro Street Comet. I finally moved the Comet out of the farm shed and into my shop. I took off all the door trim, rear window trim, today and next the glass comes out. Next put her on jack stands, take off the suspension and start on the floors. The floor is coming out from the toe boards to the bumper to make way for the new rolling chassis. I want to do a full tub to make way for the big meats.
If old "yeller" doesn't work out I have this "Red" back up plan....The red 64 Caliente followed me home a couple of years ago...
Much more to come......Red
Attachments
IMG_20171021_141639422_HDR.jpg
IMG_20171021_141639422_HDR.jpg (207.83 KiB) Viewed 4107 times

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

what size tires are those and whl tubs ?? POP's pro street OL RUSTY,HAS 33X19.5 WITH 40IN TUBS,,
pop/glenda

Red Lehr

Post by Red Lehr »

Hello POP ! The wheels are 15x15 and the tires are 31 X 18.5 X 15

Red Lehr

Post by Red Lehr »

Took the glass out of the front and back today and I noticed the rust on the A pillars. There is some pitting on both sides... Has anyone else had to deal with this issue ? Didn't have time to clean it up but I'll get better pics when the mess is cleaned up around the windshield area.
Sorry the pic is sideways,
Red
Attachments
20190114_134014.jpg
20190114_134014.jpg (225.15 KiB) Viewed 4087 times

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

RED lehr..stroll down in this thread til you come to 64 comet build by FRDPWR....WE HAD it at the comet gathering in PF last june….frdpwr is my son.....you got some work in frt of you,,but it'll be dang sure worth it in the end...thank you...POP
pop/glenda

Red Lehr

Post by Red Lehr »

Pop, after tearing the yellow Comet apart I really didn't think it would make the grade and it would become a parts car which is why I bought the red Comet. The outer rockers look ok but the inner rockers will be another story. The red Comet has its share of problems also. There is a lot of "Frankenstien" patching going on under the car and the rear quarters need new metal as so many of them do.
It just takes a lot of hard work , money, and time...... more to come.
Red