My first 1964 Caliente/Comet project

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
ec164

Re: My first 1964 Caliente/Comet project

Post by ec164 »

I purchased my complete floorpans from AutoKrafters and were nice parts, really quite happy with their service also, just always ask if the part is in Stock.......Al
Your ahead in a Mercury....all the way!

ec164

Post by ec164 »

fairlaniac wrote:
poboyjo65 wrote:Doug too bad you aren't a little closer to me, I have a good roof cut off low on the pillars. I think you need more than a skin!!
The gutters are solid as well as the under structure based up inspection from inside. I thought about sawing the posts and butt welding just as if someone was "chopping" a roof but I'm not sure if it warrants such an effort. Still a possibility?

Thanks,
Doug, If it's worth doing, it warrants the effort! Just the time you can save is huge, plus you may get extra windows with the deal if you ever need them......Al
Your ahead in a Mercury....all the way!

Red Lehr

Post by Red Lehr »

Pics of the rear end inside...

1964 Comet Caliente/1964 Galaxie 500

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

K code= 289 four barrel on a 64 Comet!!! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

fairlaniac

Post by fairlaniac »

WOW! Red, a "K" code. This should ease your mind as you deal with the unexpected rust issues. Nice!
Doug Bender
1964 Comet Caliente
1966 Fairlane 427/4 Spd

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

K code on a '64 Comet is the basic 210 hp 4 barrel 289. NOT 225hp and definitely not the 271hp version.
Mustang was the only model that the "K" meant the engine was the 271hp version.
1964 Cyclone's used the same engine(210hp) except they added the appereance package which included chrome valve covers, chrome dip stick,and a chrome lid for the snorkel type air cleaner. All 1964 Cyclones had single exhaust.
There was rumor of very few "Daytona" edition '64's made, they were to have the 271hp and a 9" rear end. I have never seem one. They called Daytona because of the 100,000 mile endurance test that took place in Florida.
Check out the car magazines from that era, the road tests will confirm the above facts.
A/FX
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Red Lehr

Post by Red Lehr »

A/FX wrote:K code on a '64 Comet is the basic 210 hp 4 barrel 289. NOT 225hp and definitely not the 271hp version.
Mustang was the only model that the "K" meant the engine was the 271hp version.
1964 Cyclone's used the same engine(210hp) except they added the appereance package which included chrome valve covers, chrome dip stick,and a chrome lid for the snorkel type air cleaner. All 1964 Cyclones had single exhaust.
There was rumor of very few "Daytona" edition '64's made, they were to have the 271hp and a 9" rear end. I have never seem one. They called Daytona because of the 100,000 mile endurance test that took place in Florida.
Check out the car magazines from that era, the road tests will confirm the above facts.
A/FX
Thanks for info, very good stuff to know !!
I did a bunch of searching around on these "K" code hipo cars and there seems to be a lot of gray areas and different opinions as I found on line in some old forums.I'll just keep reading and learning ! :wink:
I've seen some of the Comets advertised on line as K code Hipo cars and when I went looking on line to check out the vin numbers on the cars for sale ,I found lots and lots of arguments in some of these forums.

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Be careful reading posts on forums, most of the posts are opinions not always facts. I'm not saying everything is untrue but most posts are written by people who were not there when these cars were new. I am also not saying that what I post is gospel but having owned a '64 Cyclone for 46 years and being that my father was a Mercury dealer in the 50's and 60's I at least have a good idea of how these cars were when new.
'65 Comets were readily available with the 271hp because of the popularity of the new pony car (Mustang) had them in '65.

Bottom line.... 1964 Comets with a "K" engine code were not HiPo 289's no matter what the seller says.

A/FX
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

barrys65cyclone

Post by barrys65cyclone »

AFX is correct "K" in 1964 means 210hp also only approx 90 289 HIPO Comets built in 1965.

comethead

Post by comethead »

A/FX wrote:Mustang was the only model that the "K" meant the engine was the 271hp version.
A/FX
Not quite! The Fairlane also had the K in the VIN, and it meant the 289HP motor. In fact Fairlane got the K code Hipo engine well before any Mustang arrived: 1963. Many of the Hipo parts carried the Fairlane "O" designation until Hipo production stopped in 67.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

Red Lehr

Post by Red Lehr »

Thought I'd throw up some pics of the slow progress......
I'm trying to get the steering wheel off and the shop manual says I need a special puller...is that what it takes to get the wheel off ???
I messed up the ignition hosing pretty bad also :x

Not sure what this lever does,but I'm guessing that it runs off of the vacuum for the wiper fluid.

a lot of rust up here on the drivers side..

Groover

Post by Groover »

regular steering wheel puller will get the wheel off. Autozone or make your own, but make sure you get those threads correct. Also it's a good idea to score the steering wheel and the input shaft so you can easily align them when you put it back together. Otherwise you'll be counting the revolutions, etc. I don't know what that handle is. Mine doesn't have it, so maybe it is wiper fluid (since I don't have that).
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Pretty sure the lever is to pump the washer fluid. And fluid runs thru the lines not vacuum. Had one on my car(sold it awhile ago) but pretty sure I tested mine and working the pump/lever it pumped washer fluid. Figured the switch was to cycle the wipers but never tried the switch

Some of the old steering wheels have a narrower spread on the bolt holes used for removal and need a straight wheel puller(straight acroos with two slots on ends and hole in middle for the threaded bolt to press wheel off) instead of a universal (has four slots for two bolt and three bolt removal) not sure. When I worked at junkyard years ago we would put the nut back on the shaft till it was level with end of shaft have one person pulling back on wheel while another person gives end of shaft a sharp rap. When wheel popped the nut save you from getting hit in face with it lol.

I would try wheel puller from advance first tho.

Lou

Something like this would work for wheel
http://jbtoolsales.com/k-tool-70330-ste ... 7AodJkEAsA

Or this
http://jbtoolsales.com/k-tool-70348-ste ... el-puller/

Groover

Post by Groover »

Lou,

That first puller is exactly what I have and have used on my 64. And that "pull but don't hit yourself in the face" method was what Pop's told me to do... but I got the puller anyway :)
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Groover wrote:Lou,

That first puller is exactly what I have and have used on my 64. And that "pull but don't hit yourself in the face" method was what Pop's told me to do... but I got the puller anyway :)
The puller IS the safer bet. But did pull a lot of them when I was young with the junkyard method.

Lou