Another Brake Light not working issue

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
harleyddad

Another Brake Light not working issue

Post by harleyddad »

As I finish up my Wife's 65, I've had a problem with the left brake light working. The left blinker and tail light work fine as well as the right side brake, blinker and tail light. I can't find where the wire from the brake switch goes and based on the wiring diagram it goes to the turn signal switch. With just one wire coming from the brake light switch to the turn signal switch, it seems to be a faulty ts switch, I haven't located that yet. Any ideas?

Comechero65

Re: Another Brake Light not working issue

Post by Comechero65 »

The out from the brake sw goes to the turn signal switch. Then the two wires leave there, leaves the column and goes to a two pin connector then on to the rear brake/turn lamps. the colors are grn/orn 'left', orn/blu 'right'.
If you only get voltage to one of those wires but not the other and wires and connector are good then i would investigate the turn signal switch behind the steering wheel.
Ron

Tims1965MercuryComet

Post by Tims1965MercuryComet »

[quote="Comechero65"]
Last edited by Tims1965MercuryComet on Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1965 Caliente 4 door
1968 302
Edelbrock Torker manifold and carb

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Check the tailight plug!!! My 65 would do that once in a while until I pulled the plugs and put dialectric grease on the connector!!Like I stated before,CHECK your grounds!!!!!!! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

The reason why the turn signals don't self cancel is because one or both ears on the turn signal sw break off. Also the cam on the back side of the wheel has to be there and be clocked correctly.
Ron

Tims1965MercuryComet

Post by Tims1965MercuryComet »

[quote="Comechero65"]The reason why the turn signals don't self cancel is because one or both ears on the turn signal sw break off. Also the cam on the back side of the wheel has to be there and be clocked correctly.
Ron
Last edited by Tims1965MercuryComet on Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1965 Caliente 4 door
1968 302
Edelbrock Torker manifold and carb

harleyddad

Post by harleyddad »

Thanks for your help, guys, parts are on order.

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

Me too Roy. I had to crimp the socket to properly engage the 1157.

Stacey
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

luc3ch

Post by luc3ch »

Tims1965MercuryComet wrote:
Comechero65 wrote:The reason why the turn signals don't self cancel is because one or both ears on the turn signal sw break off. Also the cam on the back side of the wheel has to be there and be clocked correctly.
Ron
Resurrecting a 5 year old thread here. Who knows the part number for the cam on back side of the wheel? Been looking all over for one.

Macs and Ecklers don't show what I need. I find the part for a lot of other Ford vehicles. Not the Comet though.
1964 Comet Caliente, 302, upgraded to Toploader, front disk brakes ready for 2021 season after the snow melts!

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

luc3ch wrote:
Tims1965MercuryComet wrote:
Comechero65 wrote:The reason why the turn signals don't self cancel is because one or both ears on the turn signal sw break off. Also the cam on the back side of the wheel has to be there and be clocked correctly.
Ron
Resurrecting a 5 year old thread here. Who knows the part number for the cam on back side of the wheel? Been looking all over for one.

Macs and Ecklers don't show what I need. I find the part for a lot of other Ford vehicles. Not the Comet though.
Early Mustang should be the same. Mac’s, Ecklers, and Dearborn Classics are the same company. Look for a Mustang only vendor, you will get better service. (Can you tell I am not a fan of the Eckler group of companies?)
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”