65 Comet Repro Rally Pac

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
65clevorcyclone

Re: 65 Comet Repro Rally Pac

Post by 65clevorcyclone »

Extremely interested.... Please let us know when they are done.

comethead

Post by comethead »

So the first prototype is done and painted. It's mine and I'll soon be filling it with some Autometer gauges to see how it looks.
These will be on eBay very soon. I'll keep ya'll posted

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

comethead

Post by comethead »

The wrinkle paint could use a touch up but over all the gauge pods are nice.
I'm thinking of getting these gauges http://www.autometer.com/gauges/designer-black.html
Not necessarily tach/vac/clock. Maybe tach/oil press and volts? Not sure.
Joe

mercury6465

Post by mercury6465 »

Joe,this is a great idea on your part. I work in the Ford Design dept. and create prototype parts in cad for 3D printing. Started out as a clay modeler and moved into digital over the years. I would agree to spend more time surfacing the cylinders before shooting with the black finish.Another issue to consider,Since these are mounted on the dash,will the material he is printing with handle alot of heat? Some plastics that are used out there will not.
Overall, I think they will look very cool! Keep us posted.
Regard's,Myron

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Joe, Myran............what's the feasibility of reproducing an instrument panel bezel using this process? I realize that plating would still be an issue, but it is extremely difficult to locate a 65 (or other) instrument bezel that isn't already cracked, or so brittle that it takes very little to damage it during plating or trying to install it. Plastic has come a long way in 50 years, and I would think anything produced now would be more robust than the originals that have been subjected to 50 years of temperature extremes and UV rays.
Jim

comethead

Post by comethead »

mercury6465 wrote:Joe,this is a great idea on your part. I work in the Ford Design dept. and create prototype parts in cad for 3D printing. Started out as a clay modeler and moved into digital over the years. I would agree to spend more time surfacing the cylinders before shooting with the black finish.Another issue to consider,Since these are mounted on the dash,will the material he is printing with handle alot of heat? Some plastics that are used out there will not.
Overall, I think they will look very cool! Keep us posted.
Regard's,Myron
Myron thanks for the input. I believe he is using ABS plastic. I'm not sure what it's heat characteristics are. He has been selling plastic mustang rally pacs and has good feedback on eBay.
I will keep the forum up to speed on these and post pics when I get gauges installed.
Another member mentioned possibly contacting the gauge manufacturers for possible reproduction. The mustang units should be similar but I think they are larger. Also, this unit was designed around new Autometer gauges.
Thanks again!
Joe

comethead

Post by comethead »

Jims65cyclone wrote:Joe, Myran............what's the feasibility of reproducing an instrument panel bezel using this process? I realize that plating would still be an issue, but it is extremely difficult to locate a 65 (or other) instrument bezel that isn't already cracked, or so brittle that it takes very little to damage it during plating or trying to install it. Plastic has come a long way in 50 years, and I would think anything produced now would be more robust than the originals that have been subjected to 50 years of temperature extremes and UV rays.
Jim
Jim excellent idea. I will contact the manufacturer and ask him about it. I think he mentioned that he would be getting a larger printer, so this idea may be feasible.
I will advise!
Joe

mercury6465

Post by mercury6465 »

Jim/Joe, I agree...it is totally feasable. All that's needed is a decent part to reference and measure.
Myron_

comethead

Post by comethead »

So I shot my man an email and he told me that his printer isn't big enough to shoot a bezel. He directed me to this website
http://www.hye-po.com/catalog/
Looking through the site I see they reproduce the Mustang bezel but with 6 gauges. I emailed them and told him about the 65 Comet instrument bezel commonality with 65/66 Mustang and the need for a repro.
Awaiting response.

Joe

dmeadows

Post by dmeadows »

I just posted something about this. I am also looking into this issue.

I am looking into getting the items 3D-scanned and then getting a quote for CNC/3d printing, but I will pay attention to what happens here first.
1965 Comet Caliente, 289 V8, 4 speed manual
1963 Comet Custom, 260 V8, 2 speed auto

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

Guy's don't overlook Speedhut for gauges.
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

Tristan

Post by Tristan »

I wonder if its the same guy I talked to on ebay. He said he was working with a guy on these.
ImageImage

albert

Post by albert »

Can't wait until they are available, hopefully at a realistic price!
Albert's 65 289, polar white, black buckets, 5 speed, Autolite 4100, ps, pb, factory tach, crites hood, headers, dual exhaust

comethead

Post by comethead »

Update: these will probably be for sale on eBay real soon.
The manufacturer wanted me to mount the pods on a grill just to check fitment.
So I used a standard dash grill and snipped out 2 sections for the mount bosses to go through. Drilled the bosses and used wood screws to hold it down. They provide a firm hold. I'm not sure if ABS plastic can be tapped for machine screws. Or maybe the bosses could be drilled with larger holes and a threaded insert glued in place. Probably more than one way to do it.
Also once it's mounted, holes can be made for the wires to go through the grill.
For now I used some spacers and washers and wood screws to mount it to the grill.
From a few feet away this thing looks like the real deal.
One good improvement the manufacturer made was the thicker mount base. His first prototype was kind of flimsy. I told him it would be heavier with the gauges. So he made the base thicker.
Also the prototype cups were shorter than the originals. That was because of the size of his printer didn't allow larger cups. He fabbed separate caps for the back sides of the cups for the added length. I think if they were glued in place and the gaps filled it would be unnoticed.
FYI - these are meant to be DIY pieces. Paint them how you like. Mount them whatever way you want and add any gauges you see fit. (Excuse the cruddy old grill...it's all I had)

Joe

comethead

Post by comethead »

Available now on eBay http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... ID=EBAY-US

Let's show support for the repro market!!

Joe