Re: My new 65 Caliente

Post by popscomet »

GREAT to have ya back in the loop....pop
pop/glenda

albert

Post by albert »

Car is looking good, welcome back
Albert's 65 289, polar white, black buckets, 5 speed, Autolite 4100, ps, pb, factory tach, crites hood, headers, dual exhaust

Loner

Post by Loner »

Think I may have found the 9 inch rear I have been looking for. Not sure on the gear ratio but it is a locker.
For those that don't know the N means it has nodule iron gears in it. If they haven't been changed.

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

Nice find! It isn't the gears that are nodular,it's the case.If you would,could you post the casting number and the date code?
Thanks!

Loner

Post by Loner »

Thanks for setting me straight Vicegrip. I didn't think it was the gears but I have two guys that have been around 30 years longer than me telling me that it's the gears that are nodule. So I went on the net and looked it up, its the case!!
One of them owns the 9 inch so I'm going to keep my mouth shut until I can talk him out of it.
He tells me it is out of a 1/2 ton 4x4.
I'll be over there next week. I'll get the numbers off of it.

More later, Matt
Last edited by Loner on Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Yea goodfind! better iron with extra webs. it also has one of the stronger pinion housings!! :D Get that if you can. :D
Johno

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

I think Johno is right.It looks like it has the Daytona pinion support. If you rebuild it,it does have different bigger pinion bearings than a standard 9.

loman

Post by loman »

That N case is definately a good find. There is also the chance it might be a 31 spline rear end. Not that the 6 banger needs it, but once you switch to V8 power you should be set.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

loman wrote:That N case is definately a good find. There is also the chance it might be a 31 spline rear end. Not that the 6 banger needs it, but once you switch to V8 power you should be set.
I think it has to be 31 spl. Don't think they ever had a 28spl in a 4x4 or in an ''n'' case, even for cars.
Johno

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Can you tell what the housing came out of?? I agree - nice find man! :mrgreen:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Loner here is a useful link that tells about the N case & daytona support.
http://www.kevinstang.com/Ninecase.htm
A regular pinion support is thicker under the bolts,skinnier in between them, where the daytona is thick all around & like vicegrip said it has a bigger bearing. some pics of both in that link. I have one of the 9 1/2 / (9 3/8) chunks in a truck but they aren't strong as the nodular.
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

poboyjo65 wrote:Loner here is a useful link that tells about the N case & daytona support.
http://www.kevinstang.com/Ninecase.htm
A regular pinion support is thicker under the bolts,skinnier in between them, where the daytona is thick all around & like vicegrip said it has a bigger bearing. some pics of both in that link. I have one of the 9 1/2 / (9 3/8) chunks in a truck but they aren't strong as the nodular.
and if you ever want to put the bigger ring gear in a regular 9in housing ,,,,,just grind a notch at the top and it'll work like a clock......
pop/glenda

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Pop I had to grind a notch at top & bottom to get it in.
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

maybe there wasn't enuff notch at the top,,makes no any who how,,,you made it work!!! for some reason ..I want to say not all N cases were 31 spline,,,I just don't recall,,,so don't take what I say to the bank......
pop/glenda

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Yea I anit sure about the 31 part Pop,but seems like I read it somewhere. I have a housing gasket that came with a notch in top & bottom. I'd say you could cut the top enough to not need to cut the bottom just by looking at the gasket, it seems to be a bout a 1/4 on top & bottom. but when I put in that chunk I had to cut that gasket & didnt want it getting too narrow at either top or bottom.
Johno