My new 65 Caliente

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
Loner

Re: My new 65 Caliente

Post by Loner »

poboyjo65 wrote:Loner here is a useful link that tells about the N case & daytona support.
http://www.kevinstang.com/Ninecase.htm
A regular pinion support is thicker under the bolts,skinnier in between them, where the daytona is thick all around & like vicegrip said it has a bigger bearing. some pics of both in that link. I have one of the 9 1/2 / (9 3/8) chunks in a truck but they aren't strong as the nodular.
Thanks for the link John that was a good read.
Never knew there were so many versions of the 9in.
Hopefully I can get that 9 inch sound like one to have.
Any idea what a good price would be for it?

Matt

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Never have I spent the money to buy a new gasket,when putting in a chunk...I clean mating sides real good and wrap good kite string several times around the bolts,,sometimes I might spread a line of grease on the string,that depends on how many wraps and how thin or heavy the kite string is.....there has been a couple of times that I had some sealer so I put a bead of it on top of the string....my comet and my bronco are done this way......been doing it this way all my life...pop
pop/glenda

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Loner are you going to get the whole housing & have it shortened? It being a locker makes it worth more too. value is hard for me to say, I just dont know . if it were here I'd give 300 for just the chunk, but I would try for cheaper & may give a tad more . but if you could get the whole thing for 2-3oo would seem like a good deal to me. If he is a buddy tell him 100 to get the hagglin started! :lol: :lol: it's just laying there rusting up! :lol: btw POP, that link says the nodulars are all 31 spl & it makes since to have it all beefier, but who knows?
Johno

Loner

Post by Loner »

I'm going to get the whole thing and shorten it.
I have done it quite a few times for my own cars and others. You can buy axle shafts that are splined for about 8 or 10 inches and cut them the right length yourself. I worried that they were weaker until I cut one down for a pull truck. It has been 5 or 6 years and he hasn't broke one yet. So I assume it dosnt make them weaker. More than likely I'll set it up for disc brakes also.
The guy that owns it also has a 8in out of a 65 mustang that I can have. Would it bolt right in? But to be truthful this car is a keeper and I won't be as happy with it :cry:

Matt
Last edited by Loner on Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Loner

Post by Loner »

Pops I have seen that string before when I have pulled them apart never knew what that was all about until now.

Matt

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

If you ever plan to put some power in it & want to have fun put the 9 in it. if it will be a playful cruiser with a mild motor the 8 would do good enough. If you want to mini tub it & bigger tires & are going to shorten one do the 9, then you'll be set for power should you ever upgrade & will bring more money with a 9.[ JMO!!]
Johno

Loner

Post by Loner »

If I can't score the 9in will the 8in out of the 65 mustang bolt right in? If not I wouldn't even mess with it. I'll just hold off until I find another 9in.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

yea it will bolt in but it is slightly wider. bout a 1 & a half wider I think. it will cut down on wheel choices. If you can live with skinny wheels it would work. still would need the right backspace.
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Loner wrote:Pops I have seen that string before when I have pulled them apart never knew what that was all about until now.

Matt
did you notice how FLAT that string was ??....old man showed that to me when I was very young and had real dark hair :shock: :lol:
pop/glenda

Loner

Post by Loner »

vicegrip wrote:Nice find! It isn't the gears that are nodular,it's the case.If you would,could you post the casting number and the date code?
Thanks!
Nubers are- D10W-4668-A

This might be the date code 3j30

Matt

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Loner wrote:
vicegrip wrote:Nice find! It isn't the gears that are nodular,it's the case.If you would,could you post the casting number and the date code?
Thanks!
Nubers are- D10W-4668-A

This might be the date code 3j30

Matt
Does it have a tag?

Here ,this is good to have handy, 17 pages of codes!
http://www.fordification.com/tech/rearends_ford07.htm
:D :D
Johno

Loner

Post by Loner »

No tag numbers are off of pinion flange.

Matt

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

the tag most time is on pass side just above the axle tube on the frt side of the chunk,held on by one of the nuts that holds the chunk in,,best I recall !!!!!,,,that's when NEW,alot of guys will not take the time or just flat out forget to put the tag back on,when it has been worked on or replaced...pop
pop/glenda

Loner

Post by Loner »

I found a engine for the comet!

Old school small block Fords are hard to come by in my neck of the woods!
I think this one is a 302 out of a 68 mustang. Sure wish it had a 4v intake on it. But I'm not complaining to much.

Matt

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Pop will know for sure but I think broncos had the e manifold on backwards like that. look behind where the starter would be for numbers, should be 2 sets, one is a cast date & the other will help to decode what it came from. may be a build date on under the front of the left head, a tab sticking out from the block,, some do some dont. dog likes it!!
Johno