Show Schedule

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
popscomet

Re: Show Schedule

Post by popscomet »

[quote="pugs65"]Mike any upgrade to a Crossley is cool. GLENDA'S COUSIN had one yrs ago,,,,with a bb dodge in it,he sat right over top the rear end,,,,drag only !!! and when I was a very young boy,my dad had a couple of them,,drove the fire out of them what I've always been told..have seen pic's of me and dad next to one
pop/glenda

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I guess I like Crosleys because they are one of the obscure cars and a very very compact car for the time they were built. I went and looked at a wagon once (non-runner) at a car lot but I was young, married and poor. Now I am old, married and poor so I guess not a lot has changed.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

:wink:
lavron wrote:I guess I like Crosleys because they are one of the obscure cars and a very very compact car for the time they were built. I went and looked at a wagon once (non-runner) at a car lot but I was young, married and poor. Now I am old, married and poor so I guess not a lot has changed.

See Ya,
Mike
DON't fret much over it MIKE,,it's sold by now am sure......... :? :? :shock:
pop/glenda

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I will stick with the Comet.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

mopar 346

Post by mopar 346 »

Well Pugs called me a few days ago and his buddy had an unforeseen house repair that stopped the trip for him and Pugs decided not to make the ride, I really appreciate that he called to let me know. I toyed with the idea of going to my buddies event and foregoing the Moonshine Festival. In the end we decided to go to the Festival, however Aunt Lou had other plans I guess. Some of you know that I was poking tranny fluid out of my front pump at the Gathering but it operated fine so I drove it home with little drama and a lot of topping off fluid. Well I pulled the trans a few weeks ago and had another pump I had built and installed, I wrestled with the idea of having him build the whole unit but thought why bother since it works great. I installed it Sunday and drove it a bit this week to make sure it was working properly, all was good. We started out this morning and about 100 miles into the trip it bellowed out smoke from the back of the car on decel, I had been running it pretty hard 75+ for an hour or so, it was about at our scheduled pit stop so I checked it all over and added some fluid and just decided I had overheated it from running that hard and pressed on but keep it at about 55 to let it cool back down (the engine temp was reading normal the whole time). About 65 more miles with minimal smoke on decel a few times we stopped for lunch, I figured this would be a great time for it get a good rest. Back up on the highway feeling pretty good I'm running 65 and about 40 miles in I had to move over into the "fast" lane to let a truck come out of a weigh station and had to run it up to 70-75 for a minute, as I let off it puked and as I was slowing down, it then jumped into low at about 55 (2 speed so not as bad as it sounds), it never saw high gear again. I ran in the emergency lane in first for a few miles to get to the exit after checking the fluid and knowing it was done. I keep AAA for just such an occasion, it was 208 mile and I have a 200 mile tow, I was gonna get him to drop me were the 200 ended and drive it the rest of the way but he was nice enough to bring me on in. I tipped him well and showed him the rest of the collection and he headed back out for his 3+ hour trip home at 10:00 pm, really great guy. So Aunt Lou decided I need to go to my buddies event here in town.

Best thing of all of this, Kim was with me and never once complained, she's a good car wife.

It anyone made the Festival have fun for me and I'm sorry we missed it but it wasn't from lack of trying.
Last edited by mopar 346 on Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Careful your character's showing!

joem

Post by joem »

Mark, sorry to hear about your transmission. My wife and I are headed up to Dawsonville on Saturday, only a little over 1 hour for me. Comet East is suppose to be there with 7-8 Comets. I will try to get pics posted.

pugs65

Post by pugs65 »

Kevin sorry to hear about Aunt Lou. Glad you made it back home safe and sound. Next year I'm coming Hell or high water. Joem definitely try and get some pictures if at all possible, Pugs.
302 roller
4 speed
Real cars are built to be driven and driven hard!!!

mopar 346

Post by mopar 346 »

I didn't clarify last night but it seemed to be puking out of the dip stick tube, best I can figure I blow the seal in the high gear drum. IT was built 20 years ago and has shown signs of slight morning sickness (delayed first time high gear shift) but minor so I hadn't really given it too much thought. In the end it's my fault, I shouldn't have been cheap and had him go through the whole thing while it was out, I know better but actually you have to be reminded. Automatics are about the only thing I don't build on a car. I have been thinking of learning/doing it since I have a pretty reasonable knowledge of them, maybe it's a good time to learn and they a C4 is one of the easiest to build so the 2 speed should be easier or at least as simple.

Santa's Comet

Post by Santa's Comet »

Our winters would get down to -50 and the atf would freeze up at the radiator.
When that happened it would come out the dip stick tube. You could stop
and hope the line thawed enough to go again. Then somebody decided we needed
a "H" bypass before the radiator and that cured that cold weather problem.
Do you have a large enough cooler?
NP Dave

mopar 346

Post by mopar 346 »

All stock, the radiator is OE and relatively fresh and has of course worked for years as is so I would so it's sufficient. Blockage is something to keep during the rebuild though just make sure no flow restriction. Thankfully for a lot of reasons no -50 here. :D

joem

Post by joem »

I was able to snap a few pictures to post here. I thought I had gotten all the Comets but with the glare I missed some. Another Red 65 Cyclone and the 65 Convertible.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/133905829 ... res/4yR25t

We were there for about six hours and certainly did not see all of the cars

joem

Post by joem »

I missed a pic of mine there too. :oops:

Pugs, FWIW , I was disappointed by the corn whiskey sample at the Distillery. I've siphoned better tasting fuel.

mopar 346

Post by mopar 346 »

Very nice, thank you for posting. I hate that I missed it but I enjoyed my show today and it was for a good cause for a good friend.

pugs65

Post by pugs65 »

Joe there is nothin like the real deal. Never have been a big fan of store bought shine. Just ain't the same. JMO. Great pictures, Pugs.
302 roller
4 speed
Real cars are built to be driven and driven hard!!!

mopar 346

Post by mopar 346 »

In case anyone has not taken the time to look a the Comet Event thread, it has a look of pictures from the 2017 Comet Gathering posted by Ratical and a walk around video of the event posted by Lavron. Great viewing and worth the time. We had ad great time and most of us sent our reservations for next year before we left. We would love to see more faces and Comets next year, first week end in June Mountain Breeze Hotel Pigeon Forge, Tennessee. The hotel provides a tent for congregating and takes great care of us, Pigeon Forge is a great venue to visit with the family and the Cool-aid man has been known to show up under the tent late at night.