Comet door's and wing vent's.

Discussions about general body work and modifications
Lip Ripper

Comet door's and wing vent's.

Post by Lip Ripper »

I received a pair of Comet door's for my 61 Falcon today. These door's have a different wing vent; namely the little gutter on the bottom front of the wing. They also have a stainless piece over the vent which I'm guessing is a rain deflector. That, I have never seen. Lastly, the window glass is .030-.040 thicker than my door's.
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

popscomet

Re: Comet door's and wing vent's.

Post by popscomet »

WAY back,,,since the mercury 1st came out,,all thru the 40's 50's and 60's,,,in my opinion,,,the mercury was always a cut above the ford,,,POP has owned many of each,,mostly the ford ,but the mercury just out shown the ford in style and chrome trim ,etc...so what your finding,don't surprise me none what so ever................stainless steel and chrome was dripping from a mercury...where as it wasn't on a ford,,even the flathead mercury had 10 more HP then the ford,,,,,,and the heads were better on a 312 cu in mercury over the 312 cu in ford,,,back in the day the chevy boys were looking for the power pack heads ,,,,us lonely die hard ford boys were killing for a pair of mercury heads,,,,,even the interior on a mercury was nicer then a ford.....compar the falcon to the comet....the comet has it beat,,,all is POP's opinion.....thanks POP
pop/glenda

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

popscomet wrote:WAY back,,,since the mercury 1st came out,,all thru the 40's 50's and 60's,,,in my opinion,,,the mercury was always a cut above the ford,,,POP has owned many of each,,mostly the ford ,but the mercury just out shown the ford in style and chrome trim ,etc...so what your finding,don't surprise me none what so ever................stainless steel and chrome was dripping from a mercury...where as it wasn't on a ford,,even the flathead mercury had 10 more HP then the ford,,,,,,and the heads were better on a 312 cu in mercury over the 312 cu in ford,,,back in the day the chevy boys were looking for the power pack heads ,,,,us lonely die hard ford boys were killing for a pair of mercury heads,,,,,even the interior on a mercury was nicer then a ford.....compar the falcon to the comet....the comet has it beat,,,all is POP's opinion.....thanks POP
Not just your opinion, it's a fact!! But thanks for the cool story!! :D
Johno

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

I'll have to admit, I settled for the Falcon. I really wanted another 62 Comet. I looked at a few different Comet's but they were all rotted in the torq box and rear frame rail sections.
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

THAT WAS NOT said in a negative shape form or fashion way...I like those little falcons ,,,I drove a 62 futura back and forth for years,,,took a 63 and took all the v8 stuff from a 63 v8 comet with a 5 bolt 289 and built the 63 falcon,,neat street car,,,,,,in 1984 ,I went to buy me a new mustang,,,,BUT ,I bought a new mercury capri...2yrs later I went back to the ford dealer to get me a new T bird,,,,,I got a new 86 mercury couger XR7......mercury's are just sharp !! {they were back in the day,to me}...look at that pic that was shown the other day of that 57 HT mercury wagon....that's classy....way above a NOMAD CHEVY WAGON.........JMO....I still have a 84 capri 5.0 5spd,that me and son built for me to play with on the streets at least 20 or better yrs ago.....I seldom drive it much these days,,but it sits on go ,ready for me to get a wild hair like last year,loaded it up and went to the local drag strip,,,been a few yrs ,,,but I ran 11.30 all night long....which ain't burning the BARN down ,but for a old man and a old built street car...we thought it was pretty good....the best part of the whole night of raceing was my son's co-worker brought his HEMI dodge mega dollar truck up there and I pounded it in the asphalt all night...thanks for listening,,,so much of this forum brings back memories to OL POP..... :D :D :) 8) :wink:
pop/glenda

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

I was always told the difference between a Ford (Falcon) and a Mercury (Comet) was that Mercurys had lock washers. (Sic)
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

A/FX wrote:I was always told the difference between a Ford (Falcon) and a Mercury (Comet) was that Mercurys had lock washers. (Sic)
and the correct size and length bolt on top of what you said :shock: :) :wink:
pop/glenda