1st-time forum user, 5-year Comet owner

Let everyone know a little about yourself
Maxine and Me

1st-time forum user, 5-year Comet owner

Post by Maxine and Me »

Greetings from Oklahoma! I'm new to this forum (and using forums in general,) but I'm not so new to the joy of owning a classic Mercury Comet! Specifically, a 1964 404 4-door sedan with a 260 V8, a 3-speed automatic trans, and a lovely Peacock Blue and Polar White 2-tone paint job, that I've had the privilege to own since November 2012. I'd love to share my stories and photos with you all, but I need a little help first.

First, what image-hosting website should I use? I saw the tutorial for Photobucket, but when I skimmed through some forum threads earlier, I noticed that nearly everything shared through Photobucket had vanished and been replaced with a picture of a gauge, saying something about 100% 3rd party usage reached. I've also noticed that other pictures have been replaced with a question mark, as the URL or domain had expired. I've thought about getting a Flickr account just for this, but what would you advise? I just don't want my photos to glitch or disappear. I also have an old deviantart account I could use if that works.

Second, I'm trying to figure out where I should talk about my Comet. If I'm just sharing pictures and stories about my car, do I go to the "Showing Off" tab, or, since mine is a 1964 Comet, do I go to the "64-65 Comets" tab? The rest of the site seems fairly self-explanatory, but just in case I don't know where to discuss a certain topic, where do I need to ask about that? I don't want to get banned for posting in the wrong... is tab the right word? Sorry, I'm new to using forums.

Either way, I'm glad I found this site, and I'm looking forward to swapping stories and photos with all of you!

Sincerely,

Austin
Attachments
My 1964 Comet, "Maxine the Merc," as she looked back in mid-2016.
My 1964 Comet, "Maxine the Merc," as she looked back in mid-2016.
Maxine_the_Merc.jpg (232.78 KiB) Viewed 3500 times

popscomet

Re: 1st-time forum user, 5-year Comet owner

Post by popscomet »

I'd just go to showing off,then if you were to ever have a guestion on a certain subject ,then to that thread ( or tab )..but where ever you put it ...we gonna look at it ,,CAUSE WE WANT TO SEE IT....WITH THAT being said...WELCOME,glad to have you with us,,,,,thank you and good luck.....and let me invite you to the gathering the 1st wk end in june at PIGIEON FORGE,TENN....it's a great time and place to shake hands with several of us on here....POP
pop/glenda

Maxine and Me

Post by Maxine and Me »

Okay, thanks! I'd love to check out the gathering at Pigeon Forge, but my folks and I will be wrapping up our family Route 66 road trip from Tulsa to L.A. and back around that time. Hopefully, I might be able to figure out a way to make it there, but we'll see.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Maxine and Me wrote:Okay, thanks! I'd love to check out the gathering at Pigeon Forge, but my folks and I will be wrapping up our family Route 66 road trip from Tulsa to L.A. and back around that time. Hopefully, I might be able to figure out a way to make it there, but we'll see.
COOL,,THAT'S ALL WE CAN DO IS ASK..we'd sure like for you to be there if you can.....thanks pop
pop/glenda

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Welcome on! :D Like Pop said ,,put it where you think it should go. If you need a part the WANTED section or to sell one there is a ''BUY,SELL & TRADE section. I use POSTIMAGE for pics mostly, it will resize to what size you want them as you upload them to it. if you use ''mozilla firefox'' or ''google chrome'' there are add ons you can use to be able to see the photobucket pics, it may take a day, or a restart to work;
firefox;
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... edded-fix/
chrome;
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... dkpmcpkaon

Nice comet you got there!! :D
Johno

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Welcome aboard! Boy, Maxine is real looker (insert wolf wistle). :wink: I assume you posted the picture using the attachment tab. That works pretty good, but has some limitations on the size of pictures you can post. Hopefully, photobucket shot themselves in the foot when they suddenly decided to extort $400/year for the privilege of letting you post your photos. :evil: I've been using the attachment tab for quick pics of a general nature. If I have a series of pics from something like a cruise-in, etc., I've used Postimage (https://postimages.org/) or Chevereto (http://cometcentral.com/photos/login) where we have our own Comet Central account. There are a number of others out there. But I always keep a copy on my own computer in case they decide to follow photobucket's lead. Poboyjo65 (John) can provide an add-in you can put on your computer that will allow you see all the photobucket pics that have been posted in the past if you use Chrome or Firefox. John, chime in here please.

As far as where to post, just put it where you think it fits best. We're pretty laid back as far as rules, as long as you're civil. For the most part, the group headings are pretty self explanatory as to what you'll find posted in them. The Lounge is just a catch-all group for subjects that don't seem to obviously fit in one of the others.

Maxine is beaut. Do you have future plans for her, or is she "done" and just in the enjoyment phase?
Jim

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Forgot to mention, you can click on "view new posts" on the Board Index page, and it will show you all the groups that have added a post since the last time you signed on to the site. If you click on "view active topics", it will show you all the posts in date order, regardless of the group they're posted in, going way back.
JIm

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Jims65cyclone wrote: Poboyjo65 (John) can provide an add-in you can put on your computer that will allow you see all the photobucket pics that have been posted in the past if you use Chrome or Firefox. John, chime in here please.

Jim
Jim I was about 20 minutes ahead of you! :lol: :lol:
Johno

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Yeah, you hadn't posted yet when I started my reply. I left it for a little while to do something else, then came back and finished the post. Apparently, you wormed your way in when I wasn't looking. :lol: :lol: It's all good. Maxine & Me got what they needed.
Jim

Maxine and Me

Post by Maxine and Me »

poboyjo65 wrote:Welcome on! :D Like Pop said ,,put it where you think it should go. If you need a part the WANTED section or to sell one there is a ''BUY,SELL & TRADE section. I use POSTIMAGE for pics mostly, it will resize to what size you want them as you upload them to it. if you use ''mozilla firefox'' or ''google chrome'' there are add ons you can use to be able to see the photobucket pics, it may take a day, or a restart to work;
firefox;
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... edded-fix/
chrome;
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... dkpmcpkaon

Nice comet you got there!! :D
Okay, thanks! I'll take a look at POSTIMAGE, then. Just installed the add-on for Chrome, and it's already working!

Thank you! :D

Maxine and Me

Post by Maxine and Me »

Jims65cyclone wrote:Welcome aboard! Boy, Maxine is real looker (insert wolf wistle). :wink: I assume you posted the picture using the attachment tab. That works pretty good, but has some limitations on the size of pictures you can post. Hopefully, photobucket shot themselves in the foot when they suddenly decided to extort $400/year for the privilege of letting you post your photos. :evil: I've been using the attachment tab for quick pics of a general nature. If I have a series of pics from something like a cruise-in, etc., I've used Postimage (https://postimages.org/) or Chevereto (http://cometcentral.com/photos/login) where we have our own Comet Central account. There are a number of others out there. But I always keep a copy on my own computer in case they decide to follow photobucket's lead. Poboyjo65 (John) can provide an add-in you can put on your computer that will allow you see all the photobucket pics that have been posted in the past if you use Chrome or Firefox. John, chime in here please.

As far as where to post, just put it where you think it fits best. We're pretty laid back as far as rules, as long as you're civil. For the most part, the group headings are pretty self explanatory as to what you'll find posted in them. The Lounge is just a catch-all group for subjects that don't seem to obviously fit in one of the others.

Maxine is beaut. Do you have future plans for her, or is she "done" and just in the enjoyment phase?
Jim
Hahaha! Yes, I did use the attachment tab, but I had to scale my picture down quite a bit. I just learned about that whole debacle earlier this week. Not cool, Photobucket! I'll be looking at both Postimage and Chevereto today. Thanks for the tip!

Okay, thanks.

Thank you! I think the best way I can describe Maxine is "done, but not finished." She's still 98% stock, with the only "upgrades" being an alternator swap and a new 4-core radiator and overflow tank to replace the old 3-core radiator (that blew up and threw up only a few months after I got her.) That said, she's had a lot of other parts replaced over the last 5 years, and she's currently sitting on jack-stands while I search for new inner and outer tie rod ends, which I'll try posting about later. I've still got a long list of things I'd like to tackle with her, but I only need to replace the tie rod ends, fix the steering column, and get a wheel alignment for her to be ready to drive again.

Should I make a post sharing Maxine's history and story on the "Showing Off" tab sometime? We've got quite a few stories to tell, and quite a few photos to go along with them!

Maxine and Me

Post by Maxine and Me »

Jims65cyclone wrote:Forgot to mention, you can click on "view new posts" on the Board Index page, and it will show you all the groups that have added a post since the last time you signed on to the site. If you click on "view active topics", it will show you all the posts in date order, regardless of the group they're posted in, going way back.
JIm
Awesome! Thanks!

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Maxine and Me wrote:
Should I make a post sharing Maxine's history and story on the "Showing Off" tab sometime? We've got quite a few stories to tell, and quite a few photos to go along with them!
Most definitely!! :D we love stories & especially with pics!

If you use postimage ; as you upload your pics to postimage you can have it automatically resize the pics, the best size for all viewers is the one for message boards I think. otherwise some pics tend to be too big & loose part of the right side of the pic;
Johno

Maxine and Me

Post by Maxine and Me »

Jims65cyclone wrote:If I have a series of pics from something like a cruise-in, etc., I've used Postimage (https://postimages.org/) or Chevereto (http://cometcentral.com/photos/login) where we have our own Comet Central account.
Hey Jim, I meant to ask about this. Is the Chevereto Comet Central account a shared account for all users on this forum, or is it just for a select few? I haven't had as much time to look at image-hosting websites as I expected, but if you or anyone else here thinks the Chevereto account would be best, I wouldn't have any problem using that. Otherwise, I may just use postimage, since you and a few other folks here suggested it.

Austin

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Maxine and Me wrote:Is the Chevereto Comet Central account a shared account for all users on this forum, or is it just for a select few?
Not shared and you are free to use it, you just have to register there separately, it is on the same server as the forum. It was made available after PhotoBucket broke the internet so we can have control of what happens to our pictures :P

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058