Ford O Matic vs C4

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
gmsnowball

Ford O Matic vs C4

Post by gmsnowball »

I have a 200 from a 1968 Mustang and need to know what I have to do to bolt up either the Ford O Matic (2 speed) or a C4 I had in my 64 Ranchero that came from a mid 70's 302 car. Will the little 2 speed bolt up to the 68 block? Engine is on a stand now so just wondering what problems if any, I would have going with the 2 speed or the C4. I know the 2 speed is not the best transmission in the world but it was rebuilt by the previous owner and was in the car when I got it. The C4 came out of my Ranchero when I dropped a 4 speed in it. Will the smaller bell housing of the 2 speed bolt up to the C4? I didn't want to drag it off the shelf from storage if someone knows it will not fit.

Gary
Oklahoma Somewhere
Just Outside the Neutral Zone
64 Comet Calentie Convertible

lavron
Site Admin

Re: Ford O Matic vs C4

Post by lavron »

I am pretty clueless on the slushboxes, but I do know the 302 bell will not bolt to the 200, not sure but there should be a bell that will fit if it is removable, the 2 speed should bolt to the '68 block fine, you may have to move the locating pins (if it is a duel pattern block) but that is an easy job.

I have a '68 flex plate if you need one, but I figure you already have that :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

gmsnowball

Post by gmsnowball »

I was wondering if the C4 transmission once separated from the big bell housing would bolt up to the small 2 speed bell housing and if it would fit on the 68 block. I would rather have the C4 in the 202 but I may give up and just slam a 4 or 5 speed I have laying around. Modern Speed Line makes adapters for everything. I would have to change out the pedals, add a Z bar etc but I have all that from a donor car.

Gary
Oklahoma Somewhere
Just Outside the Neutral Zone
64 Comet Calentie Convertible

cometcountry1974

Post by cometcountry1974 »

Isn't the bellhousing on the Ford O Matic non removable if I remember correctly? The C4 is a fairly easy swap, like previously stated, just a couple things to work out. I purchased a bolt in cross member for my comet I had but that was years ago. The correct Bell Housing for the C4 is not difficult to find.
Larry
Elsberry, MO