Pics of Pops Comet

Upload pictures of your Comets and Projects to share with everyone.
frdpwr

Re: Pics of Pops Comet

Post by frdpwr »

Your right Rocket, those heads get overlooked. I’m looking forward to seeing there potential with a 4 barrel carb. Per rules we had to run a 2 barrel and .480 max valve lift.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

AFTER all these yrs,the original rad in my comet has sprung a seep just below the tank about middle ways,last week we drove it to get some ice cream and I noticed a few water drops on the windshield,,not bad ,coming from the opening on the tear drop hood,,last month the floor was wet from the heater core,,,I by passed it,waiting on a little cooler weather...kinda wish I'd left the old rad cap on it,,the new one might have built up more pressure then the old system could handle,,sounds good anyway....don't know if it's worth having the old one recored so's I can keep the date on the top tank or just buy a brand new one.WE BOUGHT A FACTORY style rad for OL RUSTY,was a direct bolt in.Reckon I got my money's worth ….get time in the morning I'll put it in the shop and pull the rad and heater core,,take them to a shop and have them checked out ,,,go from there...….pop
pop/glenda

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Well I doubt those aluminum ones will last as long the stockers and if it stays cool enough,,,.
When I ran a 65 Falcon in a street stock class roundy rounder I took the heater core and stuck it in a head light opening, worked great.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

FRED,I won't put an alumn in it..I have a CRITES cross flow and shroud alumn for a 64 comet I bought back in the 90's new still in the box....this rad son got for ol rusty looks like a carbon copy of the original in ol red,and it keeps the 351 in it cool as can be....it came out of TEXAS,,,,so's it'll be a recore or one from texas… I just don't want a alumn rad....pop
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

the rad shop told me they could fix the orig rad out of OL RED,but they won't stand behind it cause it's so old and they suggested a new one ,O'REILY'S has a direct replacement for 133.99 plus tax and they'd stand behind it for life,,,so I might go that way ,,still might pay the few dollars extra and get one out of TEXAS,like we did for the RUSTY RELIC,,,,it appears pretty nice and well built.....still have to pull the heater core out and replace it,,,forgot to check on it at O'REILY'S today,,,,have a one track mind at times :? :shock: :lol: ...pop
pop/glenda

Groover

Post by Groover »

I say fix the old one. They may not guarantee it, but that don't mean it won't outlast the new one anyway :)
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Went ahead got a rad out of TEXAS,be here in a day or so,,price was about the same ,at least I know what I am getting as we already have one in the rusty relic and it is nice and fits perfect just like the orig ,looks just like it,,,,I don't have a clue where O'REILEYS comes from,,heck it may be the same ...soon as I get my deer camp took care of I'll check out the heater core :o ,,I won't be lucky e'nuff for it to be a loose clamp or a bad hose :shock: …..started getting kinda chilly around here lately,,so a little heat sounds good....pop
pop/glenda

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Knowing what you are getting means a lot in my book. :wink:
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

poboyjo65 wrote:Knowing what you are getting means a lot in my book. :wink:
that's kinda the way SON and I looked at it ,,,back in the summer I also replaced the rad in my 884wld pu with one from the same place in TEXAS.,so I know what I'm buying...so far so good....the recore was so much more money,and I'd still have a today's rad with old tanks and side mounts....I'll hang the original on the wall and look at it,,,instead of a calander :!: :? :lol:
pop/glenda

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

popscomet wrote:I'll hang the original on the wall and look at it,,,instead of a calander
Because who really needs to know what day it is :roll: :lol:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

lavron wrote:
popscomet wrote:I'll hang the original on the wall and look at it,,,instead of a calander
Because who really needs to know what day it is :roll: :lol:

See Ya,
Mike
that's zactly the way I look at,,,being retired 10 yrs has ruin't me...my belly tells me when it's time to eat,, :lol: 8) pop
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

my texas rad came in yesterday while I was gone to deer camp,,,installed it alittle while ago,,,looks just like the orig,fits the same,,ain't drove it ,but temp needle is right where it always was,,,,so maybe it'll do,,only thing there is no 64 date on top tank…..
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

WE go to some SONIC cruises every month,,weather and life permitting,,so the other day I got GLENDA to kinda help me and we loaded the big tire comet ..OL RUSTY,on a trailer,,behind my 66f100...,, had never taken it to this SONIC,,wife drove her 56 ford,,,the car hops pick their favorite,,we have been to this SONIC 4 times,,GLENDA's 56 won tonight for 3rd time and last mo my red comet won 2nd,,OL RUSTY was a hit ,,a big hit....but so was my old 66pu....so many young people liked them,,,,I had to fire up OL RUSTY several times,even had a couple of boys call their dad and had him to come and see them....so at the end of the night,it still makes me feel good to see what me and son has done and for all the enjoyment we still get out of these old FORDS,,,and for the blessings we have ,just to own them....BUT TO TOP IT OFF.TONIGHT...a little girl about 4-5 yrso holding her dads hand ,,touched my leg and got my attention ,I turned around and she said hey ! so I squatted down so we were eye to eye,she wanted to know why rusty wasn't pretty,,she pointed to glenda's 56 shinny paint and looking good,that's pretty why is this not?? and she wanted to know why rusty was loud.she said it hurts my ears...that was the neatest baby girl..I stayed down til my knees and legs were acheing like a sick robin's butt,,,but I answered her and answered other questions,,her dad was beside hisself,,he was trying to hush her up and go,,I stopped him and said I'll stay with her til she wants to go,,I don't mind none what so ever,,,she was so cute...and a good talker,,,now that made my day...pop
pop/glenda

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Thats so cool! 8)
Johno

comethead

Post by comethead »

Awesome Pop!!! It’s great to see kids have an interest in our old machines.
Now my kids spot every old car on the road! Even ones that I don’t particularly ummm...appreciate :lol:
“Look dad a cool old car!!!” Me- “kids that’s a 74 impala 4 door...definitely not cool!” :lol: :lol: :lol:
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed