Pop's Cobra build.

All the Ford Sisters...Falcon, Mustang, Maverick & Fairlane, etc. Try and keep your post relevant for Comet users
SASSY

Re: Pop's Cobra build.

Post by SASSY »

GT40, one of the most beautiful cars of all time and my favorite car period.
There used to be a kit one in my hometown, white blue strips they used a SBC and corvair transaxle for power :? But to watch it run a gymkana course, well I can't explain myself it was so cool 8)
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

I need to come up with a good place to send this roll bar for this cobra to have it chromed...was going with black,but changed my mind,,the windshield frame is chrome so the roll bar needs to be also,,,,so if anyone knows of a place to ship it to...let me know,,,thanks …..pop
pop/glenda

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Pop there was a couple in TN. Advanced Plating in Nashville had a fire,& they are moving to Portland Tn.. Tri city Plating over in east Tn.,(I think it is in Elizibethton Tn) but I have heard mixed reviews about them.some say they are great,some said they had to send stuff back to be redone. but they do a lot of bumpers from what I have heard. If it is already nice & smooth I dont see how they could mess it up. Maybe some of our east Tn guys know more about them.
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

OK,,yes it's brand new never messed up in anyway,just has a cheap thin coat of black paint on it,,maybe someone on here can speak up......thanks , POP
pop/glenda

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I have seen the chrome looking powder coat (never in person) but probably would look poor when next to real chrome. Can't say who does it either :roll:

I guess I am no help.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

No matter where you have your plating done it will not be inexpensive, the cost of chemicals and the cost to dispose of them has escalated the prices in the last years.
The polishing of the part is almost more important than the chrome process, a good shop will polish the part so it looks like chrome before any plating is done. They then strike it in copper, then nickel and finally chrome. Polishing it again between nickel and chrome makes a huge difference, chrome itself is transparent clear not silver.

I normall have all my restoration chrome work done at a small shop in Wisconsin, the head guy there handles every part that comes into or leaves the shop. The quality is top shelf but the price reflects perfection.
Last year I send a pair of bumpers to a different shop because of the physical size of the parts. I had heard they do nice work so I gave them a try. The parts were gone for three months but when I got them back I was extremely pleased. They did a fantastic job of polishing, the chrome it self had that slight blue tint to it the way good chrome should look.
I highly recommend this shop:
https://www.northstarplating.com
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

SASSY wrote:GT40, one of the most beautiful cars of all time and my favorite car period.
I'm with you, Fred. Years ago I had a GT40. Dark blue. Beautiful car! I was 12 and it was a slot car.... :roll: 8)
Jim

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Was thinking of your post on the color of the engine for your cobra today. And agree with black, doing mine black. But then was thinking you did you frame in burgundy powdercoat, and going to have burgundy stripes. With all the aluminum parts you have not much will be painted. Maybe paint it burgundy to match the frame and stripe?? Would pop with all the aluminum. Also would tie it all together.

Chrome shops? All the people around here rave about Paul's Chrome in evens city pa, but very pricey. I use a local guy M&M chrome in Jeannette Pa. So far been happy with his stuff. Had one piece had a couple really small pits in it when done, but really had to look for them. And closer to what I consider reasonable prices.

Lou

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

agree,,burgundy block would look good,,,,,ain;t gonna see much anyway,,,,,thanks.also for the chrome heads up...pop
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

loman wrote: You will just have to remember to not forget to drive the red one around every now and then.
OL POP,has had several neat neat rides in his time,,stangs,fairlanes,ford trucks,shoebox fords ,broncos 2 cyclone comets(64) one 65 4spd comet,,,but if they all went into a big pot and brought to a boil...the ol red ride will always rise to the top,,it's the cream...beside this cobra is a fair weather ride,,and to me ain't much difference then rideing a MC in the hot hot sun,,about only difference will be when I stop.won't have to throw a foot or 2 out to keep from falling over,,,I can drive ol red year round,,,so it won't be forgotten or neglected...OH ,,I just thought about the rusty RELIC....when I was late teens early 20,I drove a 50 2dr mercury with a flathead with a couple stromburgs carb with a floor shift,,I was another JAMES DEAN with a Hollywood flat top hair cut..only I didn't nor have ever smoked...…...we got up in the loft above the restroom in my shop and brought down lots of stuff and boxes for the cobra tonight......planning on taking morrow night off,,might go on a date with GLENDA !! thanks ...POP
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

AFX,,was re-reading and noticed that I did not THNK YOU for your feed back ,,,consider yourself thanked...POP always tries to be straight up with everyone......
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
SASSY wrote:GT40, one of the most beautiful cars of all time and my favorite car period.
I'm with you, Fred. Years ago I had a GT40. Dark blue. Beautiful car! I was 12 and it was a slot car.... :roll: 8)
Jim
AND ol pop bets you still have it and when your wife leaves you at home very long at a time you get it out from it's hideing place and roll it around,,,,which is OK,,,cause just after I got this cobra,a friend at work brought me a toy metal cobra and it sits on the dresser by my bed,sometimes I roll it around,in fact I made me a road course ,,,,,JIM DO YOU MAKE MOTOR SOUNDS? ( be honest) :shock: :lol: ( pop made the last half of this up) :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8) :roll:
pop/glenda

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

Salt Lake Chrome is closer to you than the other recommendations. Give him a shout.
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Lip Ripper wrote:Salt Lake Chrome is closer to you than the other recommendations. Give him a shout.
Closer? How do you figure?
Johno

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

The way the crow fly's. Haha, edit; I thought Pop was in Kansas.
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.