Pop's Cobra build.

All the Ford Sisters...Falcon, Mustang, Maverick & Fairlane, etc. Try and keep your post relevant for Comet users
popscomet

Re: Pop's Cobra build.

Post by popscomet »

that's been yrs ago,,,I bought it for glenda,,,it was a 2drht,2spd AT,,the guy I bought it from ,he and his dad and brother were more ford then POP is,,if that's possible,,,the little ford came new with a 260,,,they had put in a 221,,,it got 18mpg,,,and it didn't matter how you drove up hill down hill,you could put behind a tow truck, it,,had a 2bbl motorcraft ,dual exhaust,,,the fuel mileage was always the same...5hole 13in tires,,,wish I had them back !!,,,burgundy outside and tan inside,,,great car..she drove it along time,,,then she saw a AMC JAVLIN,,so we bought one and sold the ford,,,,the AMC would outrun the ford and get better fuel mileage while doing it......and had cold air.....
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

WELL,,better health has returned,,ain't perfect,,GLENDA is,,and when she feels good that makes me feel better right off the top....in fact she went to the mailbox and came back in with a box containing my head gaskets ,2nd new carb,,,and it was wet,that UPS driver left it on the north end of house,,it had to have been out there for at least 2 days,,he could have walked 20 feet and left it on the front porch,,every so often we'll get a driver that does that...I guess that 5qts of break in oil and carb was just to heavy,,,so DWAYNE is coming out tonight and we'll try to make up some lost time....my almost 22yro grd son leaves Monday for the army,so will spend most of sunday around him,at daughter's house watching the game.....don't be surprised if we don't start this 289 Saturday,,once we start ,,it's katty bar the door....til it' s built...but of course there is always that hidden problem that comes up....later POP
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

DWAYNE,came out,motor is almost ready,,try to get a pic later,,ought to be an awesome looking 289,,,we all still aren't battin a hundred...but we are way above the speed limit.....pop
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

the motor is built,family matters took center stage today,,,tomorrow afternoon ,we plan on putting it on the startup trailer and build a fire in it,,,pic's will come , cause she's a good looker,,OL POP is pumped....if all is good...then onto finish putting it all together..... :) :D
pop/glenda

frdpwr

Post by frdpwr »

Built 289.jpg
Built 289.jpg (194.96 KiB) Viewed 3634 times
Still have a few things to finalize but its built.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

SWEET!!! :D Is that a built in chair for gazing at it? :lol:
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

poboyjo65 wrote:SWEET!!! :D Is that a built in chair for gazing at it? :lol:
it's on wheels,,so you can get closer for a better look :shock: :D :!:
pop/glenda

loman

Post by loman »

Looking good Pop. I can almost hear it running now.

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Lookin' Good! 8) I see you've got the all-important thinkin' fluid within easy reach of the gazing chair. :lol: :lol:
Jim
Built 289.jpg
Built 289.jpg (196.35 KiB) Viewed 3617 times

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

those are easy fixers....enough of them,,you fix anything...………….til it breaks again :? :lol: :wink: thanks,,,,we didn't start it tonight,,,messed around and didn't get a starter and didn't have the correct fan spacer to work with it being on the start up trailer 's radiator,,,,,order it morrow ,be here Thursday,,,,so may be then before we build a fire in it....and we need to come up with a fuel block...DWAYNE,may make one on his lathe or we'll come up with something to feed both carbs,,,after all these yrs ..this is not the time to get in a hurry...….thanks again,,,,,,,POP
pop/glenda

frdpwr

Post by frdpwr »

We had our little helper back last night.
Chase pouring in the "break in" oil.
Chase pouring in the "break in" oil.
Chase.jpg (181.9 KiB) Viewed 3588 times

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Better leave it on the run stand, that boy filled er up he's gonna wanta hear it run when he gets back!! :lol: :lol:

sounds great Pop !!! :D :D gives me the itch!! :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqHz9Ib ... e=youtu.be
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

poboyjo65 wrote:Better leave it on the run stand, that boy filled er up he's gonna wanta hear it run when he gets back!! :lol: :lol:

sounds great Pop !!! :D :D gives me the itch!! :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqHz9Ib ... e=youtu.be
what kind of itch ?? can we help scratch it !!!?????...what do you might need ///????
pop/glenda

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

hearing that gives me the Itch to go grab some gears in this ole blue comet. :P

Pop if you didnt notice I put a link up to it running .
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

POP is going to be very honest,,it may sound good to y'all,,,,and it away it does,,but it really is a let down to us...we expected a better lope from the cam...after all it is the same cam shaft that is in my red comet and the very same that is in my 84 5.0 mercury capri,,,,it falls back to compression with these alumn heads it doesn't have it,,and we can tell just by listening to it..not saying it won't perform ,,it just ain't got the thump the other 2 has and we were kinda let down...but the longer it ran and the better we got the timing the better we liked it and so OL POP will live with it,,we even came up with the reason being the cam shaft was mis boxed when I got it....but I bougfht it 20yrs ago so it's mine and it's not worth changing it....at my age now it is what it is...but I know I own 2 other sbf's that have a much better thump...in a 2200 lb plastic car it will perform perfectly along with a tremec 5spd and a 3.55 ls rear gear...….so here we go !!….pop
pop/glenda