FiTech

289 - 351 cid Small Block Performance
CosmicComets

Re: FiTech

Post by CosmicComets »

Latest on the FiTech go-600. Now that I have full voltage going to the EFI, I am discovering some tuning issues that I had not given much pre-thought to. My distributor is now "locked out" and timing is controlled by the computer. I can set the initial and total advance, but the program does not let me bump the timing by increments, say a degree every 200rpm. This is making my mid-range rather rough running. Going to play with it more tomorrow. I found out that the more expensive units are much more adjustable. Also there is no port to connect to a laptop for fine tuning or to save a preset tune. That may not seem like a problem for most, but here is my dilemma. Every time you go through tech at a racetrack, they have you bring the engine up to about 1500 rpm, and then they test your power disconnect. Yes, you guessed it, there goes the computers memory! Now you just passed tech at the track but your self learning EFI just forgot everything it had learned. This is where the tune saved on a laptop would come in, just plug in and load your tune. There are lots of racers that run EFI that have this issue. NHRA could solve it by allowing the disconnect go on the negative side of the battery, but as of yet, has not changed their rules. Has this become an issue for anybody else?
Thanks, and take care, Cary
65 Cyclone 460W, C4, trans brake, CalTracs
64 Cyclone (son's) 408W 8 stack EFI 6speed, Winters qc rear
64 Cyclone (son's)347, 4speed, mini tubbed 9"
1965 Caliente, 289, 4 speed, buckets, 51k miles
1969 428 CJ coupe (son's)
1965 Cyclone, tube chassis, 514bbf, glide w/brake

WARNING: all of my vehicles are armed with anti-thrift devices

CosmicComets

Post by CosmicComets »

Finally ditched the Fi-Tech completely. In the process of installing a Holley Terminator system that can also be programmed from a laptop. The Sniper is Holley's entry level EFI and not as versatile as the Terminator. The ECU has a capacitor that will allow it to be killed by the master disconnect (NHRA required) and retain its memory. If you want to control timing you need to use the Holley dual-sync distributor. Also found out by chance that you MUST change your coil to HVC-2 type so not to burn up your ECU over time. Jason Line, ya, the #1 pro stock driver, is mentoring my EFI project through my local expert, Mike Olson of Olson Performance. Anybody interested in more info on this set up here are links to Hot Rod mag articles on Dale Snokes 64 Comet gasser articles
https://www.hotrod.com/articles/nostalg ... t-project/

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/nostalg ... r-install/

I am doing my EFI about the same, other than fuel pump, tank, a few more pigtails to see temp and oil pressure on the handheld and laptop. Holley provides the free download for computers of their Racepack apps. I will let you know shortly how it all works out. Hope to be racing over Labor Day weekend, first time with new engine, trans and EFI, providing no more set backs. Keeping my fingers crossed!
Take care, Cary

351 Pinto

Post by 351 Pinto »

I see you no longer have the FiTech, but for anyone else reading this thread, FiTech claims that if you shut the key off and wait 30 seconds before disconnecting the battery, nothing will be lost.

I haven't tested this myself. This is from their tech center message board.

CosmicComets

Post by CosmicComets »

Update on the EFI. Hi Pinto. I was never told that from the Fi-Tech people, but even if their system was capable of remembering its tune in by doing that, it still wouldn't be able to pass NHRA saftey inspection. I finally made it to the track for initial teststing with the new Holley Terminator system late this fall. They don't let you shut off the key and wait, they have you rev to about 2000 rpm and they throw battery disconnect to kill the motor. The Holley system has a separate ECU box with capacitor to hold charge.
The Holley install was not completely without snags, do to missing parts installation took 5 weeks. Distributor to ECU wiring, main harness to ECU, and several misc. items. Then the wrong wiring shows up and start all over. Holley did make good an all issues, and when told we were missing things, they didn't even ask if we looked again. Apparently it is a common issue for the tech guys.
Timing is now completely tunable, menory no longer a concern, and motor happy as a lark. I will add a post in Track Report thread.
Take care, Cary