Cometcentral not secure?

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
CosmicComets

Cometcentral not secure?

Post by CosmicComets »

Hey guys ,when I try to go to Cometcentral, I get a warning that this website is NOT SECURE in red letters on the address line, my computer won't open the page, and I get the following message:

Your connection is not private
Attackers might be trying to steal your information from www.cometcentral.com (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards). Learn more
NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID

Started doing that when I updated my laptop. Is anybody else having this problem, or is it a even a problem? I can get in on my old computer.
Thanks, Take care, Cary
65 Cyclone 460W, C4, trans brake, CalTracs
64 Cyclone (son's) 408W 8 stack EFI 6speed, Winters qc rear
64 Cyclone (son's)347, 4speed, mini tubbed 9"
1965 Caliente, 289, 4 speed, buckets, 51k miles
1969 428 CJ coupe (son's)
1965 Cyclone, tube chassis, 514bbf, glide w/brake

WARNING: all of my vehicles are armed with anti-thrift devices

Maine Pilot

Re: Cometcentral not secure?

Post by Maine Pilot »

I haven't gotten that message.

Your new computer update may have a newer or different anti-virus program that's a bit more sensitive than it should be.

I had similar problems after I purchased a new computer a few years ago which had a different built-in anti virus program, but not with the Mercury website. Sometimes, along with the error msg, you might also get a "Do you want to proceed?" question. I did and afterwards never was questioned about those websites again.

Bob
My wife says I only have 2 faults. I don't listen...and something else

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I think that came up when I moved us to a new host, I just approved the certificate and it never came up for me again either.

I think it has something to do with not being on a dedicated server, don't really know, I do know there isn't anyone here stealing anybodies information, I don't even know how to do that even if I wanted too (plus we don't have any credit card info on this site, etc)

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

I use Chrome, and I've noticed for some time that it says the site is "not secure". I click on that and it warns that it could be hacked for passwords, credit card numbers, or messages. It suggests that some non-secure websites may have a secure version that can be reached by putting https:// in front of the address. I did that and got the following:

"This server could not prove that it is http://www.cometcentral.com; its security certificate is not trusted by your computer's operating system. This may be caused by a misconfiguration or an attacker intercepting your connection."

I figure I don't have any credit card info or deep dark secrets on the site, and my user name and password are unique to this site, so I haven't worried about it. I haven't looked to see if the PM system is also not secure, but suspect it probably is since its part of the site. Therefore, if you want to share any sensitive info with anyone to buy/sell parts, etc. it would probably be good to share email addresses and communicate directly.

Jim

Tims1965MercuryComet

Post by Tims1965MercuryComet »

I use Chrome on my phone, no problems. I was using Firefox on the laptop, got that error every time I logged on. I always ignored it. Firefox crashed, so I'm using Microsoft Edge. No error.
Tim
1965 Caliente 4 door
1968 302
Edelbrock Torker manifold and carb

CosmicComets

Post by CosmicComets »

Thanks guys for responding. I wasn't too concerned about sensitive info getting stolen as Jim said. The
worst theft possible would be my password to this site. I have not found a button that lets my jump to the site on my laptop yet. I might have to call Dell and have them assist in changing my security settings. No problem with my phone or old laptop. My new laptop is a Dell Racepack loaded one to work with my Holley Terminator. This is from phone.
Take care, Cary
65 Cyclone 460W, C4, trans brake, CalTracs
64 Cyclone (son's) 408W 8 stack EFI 6speed, Winters qc rear
64 Cyclone (son's)347, 4speed, mini tubbed 9"
1965 Caliente, 289, 4 speed, buckets, 51k miles
1969 428 CJ coupe (son's)
1965 Cyclone, tube chassis, 514bbf, glide w/brake

WARNING: all of my vehicles are armed with anti-thrift devices