64 Comet Engine & Electric Question

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
M&R64comet

64 Comet Engine & Electric Question

Post by M&R64comet »

Went to replace the battery the other day, which was weird because the old battery was only 3 months old (Ty warranty) so i go to install, I attached positive first, then as soon as negative touches the engine tries to start. I replaced the Starter solenoid, still happens then i replaced the ignition switch, still happens. Some thing is obviously wrong with wiring. I have been suggested starter but others say no way and to look at alternator. and i have a feeling its something simple so figured id reach out here. Thanks for your thoughts

poboyjo65

Re: 64 Comet Engine & Electric Question

Post by poboyjo65 »

try swapping the small wires on the solenoid
Johno

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

I would start with removing all wires from the solenoid except for the thick battery feed and the thick wire going to starter. Then connect batt and see if engine tries to start. If it does solenoid is bad. Have gotten new parts that were bad on more than a few occasions. If does not try to start then attach the wires to the solenoid one at a time to see what happens.
Start with the black/yellow feed wire that goes on the large post with the wire from batt. Which should do nothing. Then connect the "S" and "I" wires one at a time to see which one makes the engine want to start. This will help narrow it down to where to look for problem.

Lou

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

Yeah,Lou,it seem you can't buy a decent Ford type solenoid anymore.This is really a problem if you have a big motor with high compression and resulting high amp starter draw.To the OP,do what Lou says and you'll figure it out.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

I have gave the sol a hardy wack on the top when that happens,,,hard to buy a dependable sol these days,,,we would carry a couple of spares for these race cars,,,they wouldn't last an entire season in most cases,,,,,I was walking across a parking lot one day and heard a motor just cranking,,was an old couple and they were scared to death,,they had the hood open I ran over and just started pecking hard as I could with the butt end of my pocket knife,,it broke loose ,,,,cranked right up and they drove off,,,,I look for the sol to go out on everything I own any day.....they ain't made as good as they used to be......if you have one that just clicks at first then starts...might as well change it.....good luck !!!...……….pop
pop/glenda

M&R64comet

Post by M&R64comet »

So i tried switching the cables and the engine at least does not try to start up but nothing else happens ether, i have also tried on adding each cable back one by one but as soon as i connect i think the "i" wire it tries to start, I will try messing with the black and yellow wire thanks for the response gentlemen, appreciate it

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

M&R64comet wrote:So i tried switching the cables and the engine at least does not try to start up but nothing else happens ether, i have also tried on adding each cable back one by one but as soon as i connect i think the "i" wire it tries to start, I will try messing with the black and yellow wire thanks for the response gentlemen, appreciate it
If it tries to start when you connect the "I" wire then messing with the black and yellow won't really matter.

I don't see how the "I" wire could energize the solenoid. I would guess it is the "s" wire that you are connecting that is trying to start..

Try this, disconnect the "s" wire should be red/blue wire, and then connect the batt. If car does not try to start then you have a short or bad ign switch. With the "s" wire disconnected, batt connected, and key off take a test light and see if the "s" wire has power, prob does.

If the "s" wire has power with batt connected and key off then next step would be to see if it is bad ign switch or short. Which you would disconnect the wire from the ign switch, the terminal on the switch should also be marked with a "s" and there should only be one wire on that terminal, the red/blue one. After disconnecting the wire from the switch with batt connected and key off take a test light and see if the terminal post on ign switch has power or if the wire you took off has power. If the terminal has power the ignition switch is bad, if the wire has power you have a short somewhere.

Lou

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

WAS this thing OK before you attempted to chnge battarys?????....if so then all you swapped out was the sol switch,,nothing else ?? to me there is your head ache !!!!…..is there more to this story ???? JMO....or have I mis read this post ??? thank you POP
pop/glenda