Mustang value?

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
Caveman49

Mustang value?

Post by Caveman49 »

Hey folks, I looked at a 72 Mustang Mach 1 yesterday, and am trying to get a feel for its value. It has been stored for at least 30 years, tag on it is registered 94. Blue on blue color, 351 2bl with the fmx trans, 5th digit in VIN is H. Has ps/pb and ac, radio with cassette.
Body is pretty much rust free from what I saw, floors and frame rails very good, interior is pretty good, will need a dash pad and a good cleaning. Hood pins are non functional, just decoration I guess. Battery was dead, but the guy said it will turn over but not start, probably big time fuel contamination.

Had new tires, but old, paint job wasn’t the best, a good 20/30 footer. This guy is the original owner, said the dealership was using it as a demo. He also said he rebuilt the engine, I believe back in the 80s, kept it standard bore, and had the trans done to. There was a good bit of fluid on the floor from the trans.

I’m sure a lot of the rubber will need replaced, along with many other things, brakes, seals, etc.
Guy wants 8k, won’t come down. I was thinking about using it as a good daily driver while working on it. Would then pass it down to my youngest daughter, she loves old classics.

Folks over at VMF are saying anywhere from 8-10k, some go less, so go higher because of no rust. There was a fellow from the Mustang forum that checked it out for him, and that’s the feedback he was getting and giving the owner.

I think if we could have gotten it to run I would have probably bought it.

What do you guys think value wise? Thanks! Oh yeah, the car is located in Crestview FL, but has Texas tags, owner is retired military.

Last edited by Caveman49 on Wed Jul 10, 2024 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Motor Safe,
Lee

Lou's Comet

Re: Mustang value?

Post by Lou's Comet »

Lee, I think that is a pretty good price for a rust free car.
I had a 71 I sold a few years back for 3K and it needed a total restoration. I also think if it ran when they parked it will run again. Being in a garage all these years saved it from the elements.

Lou

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

I agree Lou, I offered 7k and he said 8, I may need to take a battery down and some gas to see if it’ll run. It’s about an hour and a half from me. Funny, we were stationed at several of the same Army bases throughout our careers.
Thanks for you feedback Lou.
Motor Safe,
Lee

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Caveman49 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2024 8:09 am
I agree Lou, I offered 7k and he said 8, I may need to take a battery down and some gas to see if it’ll run. It’s about an hour and a half from me. Funny, we were stationed at several of the same Army bases throughout our careers.
Thanks for you feedback Lou.
How long has it been since it was run or turned over? If it has been a long time you may want to pull the plugs and put a couple squirts of Trans fluid in each cyl. If you don't want to do that I would at least run some 2 stroke pre-mix fuel thru it at first. Rings maybe dry. Just a little preventive can save a lot of headaches.

Lou

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Snag it if you like it.
It's undervalued for a solid car, even if it needs some tweaking.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

The fellow said he would start it every so often, then the bat went dead and stuff happens, and it just sat in the garage for years. He said over time the decals just peeled off, I guess the Mach1 decals. I guess I could grow to like the body style, not a big fan of it.
Motor Safe,
Lee

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Caveman49 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2024 8:46 am
The fellow said he would start it every so often, then the bat went dead and stuff happens, and it just sat in the garage for years. He said over time the decals just peeled off, I guess the Mach1 decals. I guess I could grow to like the body style, not a big fan of it.
I've never been a fan past '69 model but one thing can be said, ride and comfort is much better than older models.
Had a Cleveland & FMX in a '68 F-100 long time ago that was a real stump puller.

If you decide to go back, bring a magnet in your shirt pocket, check the usual places.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

If it is relatively rust free, then $8000 is a bargain. Up here rust free Mustangs bring good money. I bet that car was here in Michigan I would bring $12000 easy all day.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

Yeah, I know up north it would bring decent money, I’ll check with him this weekend, see if it’s still available. Now to talk the wife into it for 8k.
Motor Safe,
Lee