Surgery begins

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
comethead

Surgery begins

Post by comethead »

A couple of weeks ago I discovered that my 65 Caliente had some serious cowl rust.....well Ive decided to fix it right. Since the car isnt in drivable condition, it runs but has the interior out and other issues, I figured it would be a good time to tear into it. So today I removed the fenders, hood and front fascia (to paint the whole eng compartment eventually). I removed the windshield and moldings, and cleaned up the cowl area. I plan on drilling out the upper cowl panel, and cutting out the rust, repaint and reweld. Then the front floors, and the small holes in the quarter panel..blah..blah..blah. Does it ever end? Im looking forward to doing the cowl fix. Alot of work, but well worth it. I did it on my 66 Mustang, and the results were great. Ill try to take alot of pics and post them. Hopefully your Comet isnt as sad as mine. :cry: See Ya.
Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

YEE HAA!! Nothing like a little surgery to get you feeling better!

I think, somehow, I've been spared the cowl rust monster (I'll know when I get that far) but trunk rust monster got me, it looked like a 70's green shag carpeting, my my the things we'll do when were young :oops:

My goal is a rust free midwest car when I get done, If I could only find som good affordable rear quarters :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

komet kustom

Post by komet kustom »

I am going to have to tackle the same thing. I'm going to approach it differently though. I do not care about the originality. I am going to weld the vent in front of the windshield completely up and run fresh air intake hoses from behind the headlites, through the fender wells, into the fire wall to the core. My 50 Buick is set up like that. So was my Mini. Would preclude me from having to repair the old rusted one and I will not have to worry about future problems.
I have not done this yet, but I have been studying my car and I think it could be facilitated rather easily!
Some people are only alive because it is illegal to shoot them

DicksClone

Post by DicksClone »

Welcome to the world of cut, patch and weld. I began cutting out the rust and patching a couple of months ago on a 63 Sprint. I figure I might be done by Spring if I am lucky. The cowl is a nightmare. I figured I would epoxy a metal screen to the bottom of the air intake to prevent leaves and junk from getting in. Of course when done, this baby will not get the exposure to falling organic matter that it did in its previous life. Not my favorite thing to do, but it is a labor of love. Can't wait to have my Cyclone and Sprint sitting side by side on a nice warm sunny day.
Currently own a 63 Falcon Sprint Hardtop, a 63 Falcon Sprint Convertible & a 65 Mercury Comet Cyclone Clone. All are 4-Speed Cars

dude95307

started on the wagon

Post by dude95307 »

took out the back seats, wow, now to start cutting out the rust areas, then I will do the front of the 64 wagon, I am trying to drive it as I work on it, this is fun!!!

my boy and girl like to help out too, there like the nurses, fuuny one

well back to the 64 wagon

does anybody know if a 65 radio will work in a 64

see ya. time for some fun
:roll: :)
1964 comet wagon 404/ with a 302
1964 comet caliente, 56K mile and there real
1965 comet cyclone, 4 speed, my 1st car ever
1975 dodge RV 440 big black, American Clipper 75K miles

SASSY

Re: Surgery begins

Post by SASSY »

Man been a while, how 'bout an update,,, :mrgreen:
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

Hahaha!!!! Good one Fred.

Stacey
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Ya but nobody bit,,, :lol:
Noticed that the site is coming up on 3000 members and I remembered posting when it hit 500 so I was looking for the post, and ended up reading back through the early posts.
Joe has got to be the earliest or one of the earliest members still active!
Congrats Joe on your continued interest in Comets and this site!
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

SASSY wrote:Joe has got to be the earliest or one of the earliest members still active!
I think I know the earliest :roll:

You have been here a long time as well Fred.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Well Mike you and I as well as a few others here have a very long history with our Comets.
Others come with lots of plans and disappear for whatever reason, so thank you for being in for the long haul!!
You are responsible for many friendships here on the forum and out on the street! Because of this forum I met fellas like Roy, Joe, Roger, Mike x2, Brian, Ron and George up and down the West coast. I'm sure others that don't come to mind at the moment, all of which have added to my life, Thank you!
Fred