bad day from my garage

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
poboyjo65

Re: bad day from my garage

Post by poboyjo65 »

Looks like somehow the tailpanel trim & lights survived ! any damage to them?? probably the hardest to find of the rear parts in that good of shape. must have been the way that tree was leaning out.
Johno

wgreggking

Post by wgreggking »

[URL=http://s1271.photobucket.com/user/ ... .jpg[/img][/url]
poboyjo65 wrote:Looks like somehow the tailpanel trim & lights survived ! any damage to them?? probably the hardest to find of the rear parts in that good of shape. must have been the way that tree was leaning out.
exactly,all still good.just waiting for an adjuster to call. The bite is I dont have a lot of extra funds to put into the comet now. lots of time, time or money thing. I'm going to try to work with a repair shop,to get some extra work done... former rust repair in lower quarter, and wheel lip.i want to section in the rust free lower quarters from my 4dr parts car. I will forgo the bumper and trim, final assy and even paint, if I could end up with a solid rust free rear. nothing I can do till the adjuster sees it. BTW the reason this happened, when I first start it cold high idle, then put it in reverse, the trans pump has a couple of seconds of delay.Why I dont know. I had just backed it up 2 feet, to put it on ramps, i must not have put the BM Z-gate shifter all the way forward, hopped out,two seconds later, away she went. Under the tree, I went to start and move it it would not turn it, was in reverse! GK
Image 64 caliente 302 auto

albert

Post by albert »

You have embraced this disaster in a very positive manner and it will work out for you down the road. You now have an opportunity to make the upgrades and improvements you desire. We are all pulling for you!
Albert's 65 289, polar white, black buckets, 5 speed, Autolite 4100, ps, pb, factory tach, crites hood, headers, dual exhaust

Tims1965MercuryComet

Post by Tims1965MercuryComet »

:(
Last edited by Tims1965MercuryComet on Sat May 28, 2016 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
1965 Caliente 4 door
1968 302
Edelbrock Torker manifold and carb

comethead

Post by comethead »

Glad to hear your ok!! The car can be fixed...but it's still a heart breaker!
My wife's 64 Falcon liked to fall into another gear for no damn reason. Even though my Comet has a 4 speed I like to chock the tires...just in case.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

pro64

Post by pro64 »

Man sorry to see that glad to see your ok.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

hey Greg is that the same tree in your sig pic on the other side of the car?
Johno

wgreggking

Post by wgreggking »

poboyjo65 wrote:hey Greg is that the same tree in your sig pic on the other side of the car?
No the tree is to the right of that pic just out of the pic. Getting an estimate today. GK

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Yea c4's are bad to pop down out of park . I have a truck with a c4 that I always set the parking brake usually before I even put it in park. some times when it pops out & starts rolling it sounds like the paw is clicking over the gear teeth , other times it will fall completely out of park & in to rev. I would put on a new parking paw but don't think I could trust it even then.it is a habit to stomp the parkn brake & I couldn't stop stomping it even if I wanted too :roll: :lol:
Johno

wgreggking

Post by wgreggking »

I got an estimate today, It's a substantial amt of money, (to me). I realize that shop rates, and first class work costs. I'm insured $0 ded.(No cost to Me... Other than the possibility that My ins goes up). I watched Barret Jackson today, saw cars ( not Comet or Mercs), at 20 K, buys some nice rides. Nicer than mine. I ain"t sellin the Comet. period. again... More periods . My Grandpa had them,Dad too, Ive had two Comets , and other Mercs too. I feel like I could sub some of this work out, piece meal, that is above my pay grade, and put the rest to other areas on the car, That I can do. Then again,It could be fixed no hassle to me next month. I have the parts! It would be stupid having a back half car done and painted while the front half is not up to snuff, and need a repaint in a year or two. I vowed on this car,to fix it all, this time before paint. I made that mistake in the past. Just venting Guys! At least I have options. Going to Big Sur CA next week,in the RV, for a week,with the better half,and relax. My old man had a grandfather clock for fifty years, given to him from his dad,and his dad, Great- g-pa to Me. I have it now. Made Me swear to keep it.Know how He felt. Thanks again! GK

b.guggenmos

Post by b.guggenmos »

Wow. Just saw this. Really sorry about what happened. Hope it all works out for you on getting it fixed. Brian
1965 Comet Cyclone Drag Car Aquamarine, 351C, 4 speed, 5:14, ladder bars, 10.50@129mph
1965 Falcon Tube Chassis Drag Car, 347, Jerico, 4 Link 9.?
1970 Boss 302 Yellow, Deluxe Interior, Shaker, Slats, 4:30 Drag Pac
1932 Ford 5 Window Coupe

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

GK....was this your reaction as you stood in the doorway of your garage and watched your car run away? :shock:

https://www.facebook.com/ktunewyork/vid ... 014785526/
Jim

wgreggking

Post by wgreggking »

Jims65cyclone wrote:GK....was this your reaction as you stood in the doorway of your garage and watched your car run away? :shock:

https://www.facebook.com/ktunewyork/vid ... 014785526/
Jim
pretty much except I was laying face down in the gravel, after tripping, while chasing it. GK

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Could you have it repaired and left in primer until you can afford to have the entire COMET painted? Just wondering outloud!! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

wgreggking

Post by wgreggking »

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE wrote:Could you have it repaired and left in primer until you can afford to have the entire COMET painted? Just wondering outloud!! ROY.
That's my plan Roy. Going to remove all trim, bumper, brackets tail lamps, and mount the trunk from my parts car. take it back to the body shop from the estimate. See where I stand, money wise. Ill be supplying all the parts since I have them, so there some credit there. Along with the labor for all the removal. Get the other straight bumper I have re-chromed. I have a straight hood and front fenders, that are better than mine, along with trim. I see this is going to be a long process, months .All the weatherstripping is toast, door innards need work, interior OK. Under car is all rebuilt. Just taking it one thing at a time. I'm only one guy at 57, this might take a while. GK