California Caliente Roy Pool Memorial

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
lavron
Site Admin

California Caliente Roy Pool Memorial

Post by lavron »

As everyone has probably seen by now there is a tentative date of November 12 set for Roy's celebration of life event.

I have a couple of things I would like to see happen and would like if everyone who feels the desire to participate to please do so but don't feel any pressure. First I was thinking I have Roy's Comet Performance License Plate here that he ordered, I want to go ahead and send that to Doug his son and would like to put together a little tribute to Roy before that and include it with the plate.

My thoughts are quotes or memories that you have of Roy, I know many of you have already done that on one of the other threads but would like to put official things you would like printed for Roy's friends and family too see and post them here and I will compile them and put them into some kind of presentation depending on how much stuff you guys put up.

On this thread please limit your comments to things you want printed, if you can. I will write some sort of introduction unless someone else feels compelled to do so, I am very OK with that. If you need clarification you can ask here or PM me.

I also want to maybe do a donation in Roy's name to a veteran's charity of some kind, possibly dealing with mental health of veterans, I got this from Roy's FB page;
I am a Veteran, served in the Army 66 to 68, did not go to Vietnam, not by my choice, but theirs.I suffer every day from survivors guilt.I was trained as a Medical Corpsman, I was supposed to help keep our men alive, never got the chance.I lost a few good friends, saw many self distruct after they came home, tried to help them, couldn't.I am not trying to take anything away from all the Veterans of that war, only pointing out that some of us that did not go have scars too.God Bless Our Veterans! ROY.
Open for suggestions, I am going to start with $20 and if anyone wants to add too that PM me and we will figure out what to do. Again don't feel like you need to do this I will make the donation on behalf of the group irregardless.

Going to Deadline this at November 1 so I can get it all together and mailed out.

Thanks Everyone
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

lavron
Site Admin

Re: California Caliente Roy Pool Memorial

Post by lavron »

Roys first post from 2006;
CALIFORNIA CALIENTE wrote:I'm new to your forum but not new to Comets.Nice Site!I have had my 65 Caliente since Jan.67,bought it from the original owner while I was in the Army in Kansas.It was a 289,3-speed,Light Blue hardtop,it now is a347,4-speed,9 inch[543 gears] used mainly as a drag racer.I have kept the car street legal[licensed&insured],but it is a pain to drive on the street.Good to see an active site,Comet West is an iffy site so I'm glad I found yours.Roy.
See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

comethead

Post by comethead »

Thanks for starting this thread Mike.
I'll contribute what I can. I'll add it to my calender payment if that's ok.

I haven't done a lot of research on the subject but I have read that Wounded Warrior is a great organization for injured vets.
https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

comethead

Post by comethead »

Another one is https://www.chriskylefrogfoundation.org
Founded by SEAL sniper Chris Kyle and his family.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

albert

Post by albert »

I would like to contribute, can we paypal money to you to handle? I would like to recommend Bill O'Reilly's initiative to get mobile high tech track chairs for wounded vets. 100% of money goes directly to the cause. My local car club donates every year. See the Independence Fund link below and also a you tube link below to view what the chair looks like.

http://independencefund.org/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC1MVHKS6NU
Albert's 65 289, polar white, black buckets, 5 speed, Autolite 4100, ps, pb, factory tach, crites hood, headers, dual exhaust

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

albert wrote:I would like to contribute, can we paypal money to you to handle?
If you want to PayPal me you are certainly welcome, just make sure you put something in the comment on the PayPal page that it is for Roy's Memorial.

I think you can use this link and just fill in an amount, I will let everyone know how much we collect and where it goes, I will try and post a receipt from wherever it goes.

http://www.paypal.me/CometCentral

Thanks everyone for doing this.

One other thing I am thinking about doing is making a "Roy's Racing & Performance" section that would only have threads about racing and performance for racing, in honor of Roy it would only have Ford cars and focus on Comets specifically, and if you knew Roy you know why this would be the requirements :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Tims1965MercuryComet

Post by Tims1965MercuryComet »

I am Vietnam era vet, but was not sent to Vietnam. Roy, I salute you.
Vaya con Dios
Tim
1965 Caliente 4 door
1968 302
Edelbrock Torker manifold and carb

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

on facebook.

From Roy's son Doug ,

Imageimage host
Imagefree photo upload
Johno

pugs65

Post by pugs65 »

Mike that is an awesome ideal. I will give some myself, Pugs.
302 roller
4 speed
Real cars are built to be driven and driven hard!!!

Baldy

Post by Baldy »

Mike, just sent a contribution. It may show up as "Harold Douglas, but, it's me.

Baldy

Doug Pool

Post by Doug Pool »

Roy's family would love it if you can join us for a Celebration of Roy's Life on Saturday November 12th from 12:00-4:00. The event will be held at the Commemorative Air Force Museum at 455 Aviation Drive in Camarillo, CA 93010.

This has morphed into an impromptu car and motorcycle show. All are encouraged to bring their favorite ride to display amongst the planes at the museum. If you are interested in displaying your ride, please arrive at 10:30-11:00 to set up. Don't be shy. We don't care if your car is not perfect. In fact, we don't care if it is still a work in progress. If you knew Roy then you know that if you think that it is cool then Roy thinks that it is cool.

In the spirit of Roy, this will be a come-as-you-are affair. Casual dress in encouraged and positive attitudes are required. There will be food and drinks so don't stop for lunch before coming.

If you cannot attend and you want to send a card or picture of your car to be displayed, please mail them to Doug Pool at 1255 Humboldt Drive, Nipomo, CA 93444

In lieu of flowers, the family has requested that you make a donation in Roy's name to any charity that benefits our United States Veterans.

Once again, we all thank you for all of the love and support that has been shown on this and other forums.

Doug Pool
(Roy's son)
Last edited by Doug Pool on Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doug Pool

Post by Doug Pool »

Doug Pool wrote:Roy's family would love it if you can join us for a Celebration of Roy's Life on Saturday November 12th from 12:00-4:00. The event will be held at the Commemorative Air Force Museum at 455 Aviation Drive in Camarillo, CA 93010.

This has morphed into an impromptu car and motorcycle show. All are encouraged to bring their favorite ride to display amongst the planes at the museum. If you are interested in displaying your ride, please arrive at 10:30-11:00 to set up. Don't be shy. We don't care if your car is not perfect. In fact, we don't care if it is still a work in progress. If you knew Roy then you know that if you think that it is cool then Roy thinks that it is cool.

In the spirit of Roy, this will be a come-as-you-are affair. Casual dress in encouraged and positive attitudes are required. There will be food and drinks so don't stop for lunch before coming.

If you cannot attend and you want to send a card or picture of your car to be displayed, please mail them to Doug Pool at 1255 Humboldt Drive, Nipomo, CA 93444

In lieu of flowers, the family has requested that you make a donation in Roy's name to any charity that benefits our United States Veterans.

Once again, we all thank you for all of the love and support that has been shown on this and other forums.

Doug Pool
(Roy's son)
We are trying to get a round a bout headcount for this event. If any of you are planning on attending please shoot me a message with the headcount for your group.
Thank you,
Doug

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Thanks to you guys we have raised, to date, over $180 to go toward a donation in Roy's name to veteran's charity, I will keep taking donations up through November 1st through the PayPal link I posted earlier, I will let you know where I donate it after the 1st.

Roy was great guy and we all miss him, I am still weirded out seeing his posts from just recently and others out on the web in other forums.

Thanks again everyone,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I donated $250 to Wounded Warrior Project tonight on behalf of the Comet Performance Forum in Roy's name, thanks everyone for giving in honor of Roy Pool
Contribution Summary:
Payment Amount: $250.00
Reference ID: 38701744

The full amount of your gift is tax-deductible under the Internal Revenue Code since Wounded Warrior Project Inc., a nonprofit organization under Section 501(c)(3), did not provide goods or services of value to you in consideration of your contribution.

Donation for: Roy Pool
I will prepping a letter to send to his family in the next few days and enclose it with the plate that Roy ordered.

Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

And here is a copy of the receipt

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread