VHT header paint

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
loman

VHT header paint

Post by loman »

Has anyone used the VHT high temp header paint that comes in a quart can that you have to spray on? I was trying to decide between that and their rattle can paint.

popscomet

Re: VHT header paint

Post by popscomet »

wipe them down when new with AT fluid and a rag,they'll smoke and burn it off (not flame up),,do that a few times at first,,,then don't worry about them,,,ever so often do it again,,,,leave the paint in the store,,,you'll be surprised how nice they will stay and how long they'll last...………..
pop/glenda

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

I’ve heard to use anti-sieze also but man, that’d be pricey and I wouldn’t want to do it without Scuba gear... :shock: :shock: Gonna try the ATF thing on the nephews project!
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

VHT in the spray can works good and lasts a long time but...you will notice on the can they offer 2 methods of curing. 1st method is on the car. 2nd is in an oven. We grabbed a big food warming insulated cabinet at the local college surplus auction,added an element from an old electric stove to use for powder coating. Works great for header paint curing but it's a 3 hr process and you need to attain 600 degrees. Never had any paint failures on several sets of headers.Works best if you blast them first. I know that this probably isn't possible for most but the "on the car method" of curing is a waste of time and money IMO. Paint will burn off on the hot spots.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

vicegrip wrote:VHT in the spray can works good and lasts a long time but...you will notice on the can they offer 2 methods of curing. 1st method is on the car. 2nd is in an oven. We grabbed a big food warming insulated cabinet at the local college surplus auction,added an element from an old electric stove to use for powder coating. Works great for header paint curing but it's a 3 hr process and you need to attain 600 degrees. Never had any paint failures on several sets of headers.Works best if you blast them first. I know that this probably isn't possible for most but the "on the car method" of curing is a waste of time and money IMO. Paint will burn off on the hot spots.
Can't for sure say how long the ATF way will last,,we have done it on these race cars ,,,but after a few times,,we get LAZY,,but I do know our headers have held up for yrs...I agree paint will burn off the hot spots,,but looks good on a fresh build.SITTING for long periods of time is the worst thing on headers without any heat cycles,unless they are hanging on a wall,,I retired my street car (sometimes week end warrior) better part of 2 yrs ago and I started it and found out a long tube header was burnt out at the collecter,,,should have removed them and hung on the wall.... :!: pop
pop/glenda

loman

Post by loman »

I never heard of using ATF. Learned something new. I'll probably use the rattle can VHT as I have used that in the past and was satisfied with the result. For now I'll just prime them to ward off any rusting. I'll wait to paint them just before we are ready to start the motor so we can put them through some heat cycles for the curing.

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

popscomet wrote:wipe them down when new with AT fluid and a rag,they'll smoke and burn it off (not flame up),,do that a few times at first,,,then don't worry about them
Like seasoning a cast iron frying pan. :lol:
Jim

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
popscomet wrote:wipe them down when new with AT fluid and a rag,they'll smoke and burn it off (not flame up),,do that a few times at first,,,then don't worry about them
Jim
you got it !!!!pop
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

popscomet wrote:
Jims65cyclone wrote:
Jim
you got it !!!!pop
I was starting to get the feeling no one was going to get what I was getting at :!: but OL JIM hit right on it,,,good job !! thanks POP :D :D :wink:
pop/glenda

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

popscomet wrote:wipe them down when new with AT fluid and a rag,they'll smoke and burn it off (not flame up),,do that a few times at first,,,then don't worry about them,,,ever so often do it again,,,,leave the paint in the store,,,you'll be surprised how nice they will stay and how long they'll last...………..
Pop,are we talking type F,Mercon,MerconV? For sure not Dextron! :D Hey,find me a Bronco...
Loman,unless you have an engine that's already broke in or has roller lifters,cam break in procedure if done right will burn the paint right off on the outside down turn.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

,I always used type F..I keep that on hand,,as far as finding you a bronco...let me know just what your looking for,OL POP has gave thought(right now it's just a thought) of selling my 77 half cab,stock 302 with a 390cfm holly 4bbl on a ci 289 intake,,AT trans power steering with disc brks,,3:50 gears,,8,000 warn winch,,CD player amfm radio and a CB radio....I ain't used it in 2yrs,so it just sits ,,,I was down at my deer camp today in my 88 4whld swb f150,and I told my buddy,I ought to sell this truck and my bronco both..I really don't need either of them,,I use my rhino side by side in the woods,,and the road to the camp is good enuff that I could use my 2whld f150 to haul my rhino to the camp,,,but then I get to thinking how long I've had them ,how much work I did to buy them,,,plus I fall in love with everything I get and just flat out hate to see anything leave the place....but my son keeps telling me to let some of it go...so I got to make a decision soon or some of this stuff is going to rot away,then no one will get any use out of it....and that would be a crying ass shame !!!...…………. :? pop
pop/glenda

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

popscomet wrote:I got to make a decision soon or some of this stuff is going to rot away,then no one will get any use out of it....and that would be a crying ass shame !!!
Hey, Pop....remember that old teacher of yours that won't sell you his Comet that's just rusting away? :wink:
Jim

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
popscomet wrote:I got to make a decision soon or some of this stuff is going to rot away,then no one will get any use out of it....and that would be a crying ass shame !!!
Hey, Pop....remember that old teacher of yours that won't sell you his Comet that's just rusting away? :wink:
Jim
YES I DO,JIM!!...yes sir foor sure.....
pop/glenda