TIME TO TRY AND UPDATE FORUM AGAIN

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
lavron
Site Admin

Re: TIME TO TRY AND UPDATE FORUM AGAIN

Post by lavron »

Thanks Joe. I keep reading and reading this and I chickened out on doing it tonight, I may wait until the weekend. I'm so not wanting to lose or mess anything up - I did back up the forum. Here are my instructions so I'm trying to figure out which package to install. I may contact the host and tell them what is going on - they may be able to give me some TA on this.

Release announcement
Please read the release announcement for the latest version before you continue your update process, it may contain useful information. It also contains full download links as well as the change log.

How to update your installation with the Full Package
The recommended way of updating your installation is using the full package. If core phpBB files have been modified in your installation you may wish to use the automatic update package in order to not lose these changes. You are also able to update your installation using the other methods listed within the INSTALL.html document. The steps for updating phpBB3 using the full package are:

Backup all board files and the database.
Go to the phpBB.com downloads page and download the latest "Full Package" archive.
Unpack the archive.
Remove (delete) the config.php file, and the /images, /store and /files folders from the package (not your site).
Go to the ACP, Board settings, and make sure prosilver is set as the default style. If not, set it to prosilver.
Delete the /vendor and /cache folders from the board’s root folder on the host.
Via FTP or SSH upload the remaining files and folders (that is, the remaining CONTENTS of the phpBB3 folder) to the root folder of your board installation on the server, overwriting the existing files. (Note: take care not to delete any extensions in your /ext folder when uploading the new phpBB3 contents.)
Now start the update process by pointing your browser to the install folder.
Follow the steps to update the database and let that run to completion.
Via FTP or SSH delete the /install folder from the root of your board installation.

You now have a new up to date board containing all your users and posts. Follow up tasks:

Update your language pack
Update your style

How to update your installation with the Automatic Update Package
The automatic update package is only recommended in case core phpBB files have been modified in your installation. You are also able to update your installation using the methods listed within the INSTALL.html document. The steps for updating phpBB3 using the automatic update package are:

Go to the phpBB.com downloads page and download the "Automatic Update Package" archive.
Unpack the archive.
Upload the complete uncompressed "install" and "vendor" folders to your phpBB root directory (where your config.php file is).

Once uploaded your board will be offline for normal users due to the install directory you uploaded now being present.

Now start the update process by pointing your browser to the install folder.

You will then be guided through the update process. You will be notified once the update is complete.
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Lori, thank you so much for your efforts to keep the forum up to date. I know Mike would be proud of you. I sure am! I like your idea of contacting the host, explaining the situation and asking for help. Maybe they can coach you through the process. Good luck, and fingers crossed! :D

Jim

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

thank you,LORI...POP
pop/glenda

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Thanks, Lori.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

Teddyzee60

Post by Teddyzee60 »

Good luck, and thanks for keeping the site going.
I was able to setup an account using a secondary email.

Great to be able to join!

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Lori, my only advise is to use a compatable file transfer utility. I believe phpBB suggest FileZilla but I'm sure some others should work. Just check with them first if you are using another. Good luck and thank you.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Thank Lori!
Oz never gave nothing to the tin man that he didn't-didn't already have-Image

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Well I'm still working with Jim to see if he can update this forum for me - in the meantime, we are seeing some accounts where people cant get logged in. Thanks to Boss, he figured out to reactivate their accounts and it seems to work. I suspect it may have to do with the need for that update. Jim has registered and I made him a global administrator so I'll see if he can work his magic and update this thing. I'll keep you all posted. Sorry for the login issues!!!

Lori
Mike's build thread

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

lavron wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:44 pm
Sorry for the login issues!!!
Thanks, Lori!
I reset my password to work around it. Needed to anyway, I guess.

Take care

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Hi everyone - the new version installation in this website will finally occur - here is the timeframe that it may be down for a bit during the install:
Maintenance Start: 6th of April, 2022, at 04:00 AM (UTC-6) Chicago, Illinois Local Time
Maintenance End: 6th of April, 2022, at 06:00 AM (UTC-6) Chicago, Illinois Local Time

They assure me that no information should be lost or changed with the new version. Also I purchased the annual SSL (security) certificate so the site will remain a secure one. It is my gift to you all, so please dont worry about the cost - it is nominal. Do email me and let me know if there is anything that seems off kilter after the 6th. Also, I got an email at the comet site from someone asking the following and there was a photo of the manual with it:

Hi, my name is Jim ______ in Cincinnati, Ohio

While cleaning out my father's garage, I found two Comet manuals (attached pictures).

Would these be of use to you?

I don't need $ for them, but would appreciate postage payment.

Call if interested. Jim ______

I blanked out his last name and phone number for his protection but if anyone is interested in these manuals, email me and I'll give that info to you. lorinorval@gmail.com
Mike's build thread

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Thank you, Lori! We appreciate everything you've done for the forum. :D

Jim

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

Yes as Jim said, Thank You Lori for all that you’re doing for this site!

Respectfully,
Lee
Motor Safe,
Lee

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Thanks again Lori! :D
Johno

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

....................................................................................

Guys the manuals are for a 60 model comet,anyone have a 60? or close?

Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

thanks a ton, LORI !!....POP
pop/glenda