TIME TO TRY AND UPDATE FORUM AGAIN

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
lavron
Site Admin

TIME TO TRY AND UPDATE FORUM AGAIN

Post by lavron »

Going to try and update the forum soon we are woefully outdated but I am nervous about messing anything up.

I am going to contact the host before I do it and make sure everything is backed up in case I have to do a restore if all goes to pot.

Expect this over the coming week or so, so if there is a time the forum is unavailable that is why, I will try to work late at night to keep the inconvenience minimal.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

SASSY

Re: TIME TO TRY AND UPDATE FORUM AGAIN

Post by SASSY »

So does being up late and going to pot have anything to do with your recent bout of giggles? :lol: ! :mrgreen:
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

You can probably tell the forum updated, I will be finishing it up over the next few days, getting the logo back at the top and any other mods I might have had on here that got removed.

Let me know if anything is messed up.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

The forum page looks good! It will take some time to get familiar with it but right now most of us are stuck at home and looking for something to do.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I think the Forum looks better on my smart phone but I don't use that very often so you guys that do, let me know if you like it better or if it is more readable.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I've noticed some extra things this new one has: 1> Arrow at bottom right will carry you back to the top.2> An arrow next to the page numbers with give you a ''jump to'' box ,,,,if a thread has a lot of pages & you wanted to get somewhere in the middle you could only skip a few at a time,now just enter a number & go. 3> the ''notifications'' top right,,I haven't tried it but probably will be pretty cool.4> ''subscribing'' to a thread,,,though I look at all of them ,,but if it ever got crowded & busy on here to where I couldn't keep up with all threads that feature might come in handy. So yea the update is cool ! :D ,just miss that merc head :|
Johno

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:44 am
,just miss that merc head
He will be back :P

Thanks John for all the info, I haven't messed with it much the biggest thing I had to find was the quick links that used to be along the top are now in the drop down menu at the top left.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

poboyjo65 wrote:
2> An arrow next to the page numbers with give you a ''jump to'' box ,,,,if a thread has a lot of pages & you wanted to get somewhere in the middle you could only skip a few at a time,now just enter a number & go.
That is a good one I have started using it, I think I know a thing or two about long post threads :P I am glad I started my build thread because it has a better memory than I do :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Also now the forum emails me updates to watched topics when someone posts, if you don't want those you can tun them off in your user control panel (to get to user control panel you click the arrow next to your name in the upper right hand corner)

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

lavron wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:36 am
poboyjo65 wrote:
2> An arrow next to the page numbers with give you a ''jump to'' box ,,,,if a thread has a lot of pages & you wanted to get somewhere in the middle you could only skip a few at a time,now just enter a number & go.
That is a good one I have started using it, I think I know a thing or two about long post threads :P I am glad I started my build thread because it has a better memory than I do :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Yea I know a thing or two myself about them. when my thread was kinda small I could find a certain pic in it easy,,,but then when it got big it got easier to just look in my pics to find a certain pic,,,,,basically because I could only turn a few pages at a time .but now it may be different,since I have so many pics on my puter & only the important ones are in the thread,now I can flip thru it like a book.
Johno

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Just ordered ssl certification for the site so it will get rid of the "Not Secure" at the top of the page and should stop any warnings going forward. Not sure how soon it will be installed but the host so far has been very responsive to requests.

Wasn't too bad less than $100 a year and the site will be encrypted now so personal information will be secure (not that we have much on this site anyway)

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

After purchasing the security certificate and a lot of back and forth with the web host they finally got the "Not Secure" removed from the forum 8) Still not 100% on all my other websites (not that they are very important) but they are very responsive and I am sure it will all work out in the end :P

If you still see the "Not Secure" in the web address you may need to clear your browser cache, it also may make you log back in if you had it set to remember you and recheck the box to be remembered.

Now to get that Comet Head back on the corner :roll:

See Ya,
Mike

PS: I will probably be redoing the whole website eventually so we can have more than just the forum, don't hold your breath for that one though, Fred says I need to dive my Comet around the yard first :lol:
Mike's build thread

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Fred says I need to dive my Comet around the yard first :lol:
DRIVE AROUND THE YARD!!
C'mom ya gotta focus now, but thanks for taking care of the forum. :mrgreen:
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

lavron
Site Admin

FORUM UPDATE

Post by lavron »

Hi everyone this is Lori. We have discovered through a new registered user having trouble logging in that the forum software is needing updated again as usual with a newer version. I am going to follow the directions to try and get that updated but no guarantees there wont be problems and the site may be offline for a bit when I do it. I'll try to get that done tonight after I get off work at 4:30. I am assuming this was something only Mike did in the past but if any of you have done it or know how, be sure to let me know. It is a package that is downloaded from the phpBB site that will update from 3.3.0 to 3.3.5
Cross your fingers. Thanks.

Also there is a new user that has joined from the Facebook group, his name is Ralph E. Hopefully he is able to get in now and start posting here.
Mike's build thread

comethead

Post by comethead »

Awesome Lori! Good luck with it and thank you!

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed