Harbor Freight Needle scaler

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
poboyjo65

Harbor Freight Needle scaler

Post by poboyjo65 »

I'd like to thank someone on here,but I cant remember who. could have comethead,he has helped me a lot. but someone on here showed one of these cheap tools a few years ago so I got one to take of the undercoating from under the fenders & such. It came off so easy I pecked most of it off with a screw driver. I did use this thing a little bit for the nooks & crannies. but since then I whip it out for certain ruff stuff like a rear diff.. I really love this little feller. he's like a little mad badger. Since my buddy borrowed my sand blaster about 5 years ago & still has it,I've used this little thing more & more !

you can tell in this one minute video how much it takes off one handed ,even better when I put the camera down so I could use both hands on it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEQbvqESJNo
If I was a lot younger I'd get a good one of these. lol
Johno

lavron
Site Admin

Re: Harbor Freight Needle scaler

Post by lavron »

I have thought about one of those from time to time, now I have removed all the scale and rust the hard way you show this :roll:

I might get one sometime and throw it in the drawer just in case :P

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

Pretty effective tool,isn't it? I have a mini scaler like yours and a big hoss piece about 3 times that size. These are not quite as thorough and smooth as the blaster but way cleaner and easier to use. They won't remove undercoating that is still sticky but neither will a blaster. An old Navy guy told me about these.Used them to knock paint and rust off battle ships.

comethead

Post by comethead »

Wasn’t me! But man now I know I need one!
I don’t usually blast something unless it’s really bad. I’ll use a wire wheel or sandpaper but I like that little tool.
Thanks Johnnie!
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

yea it's not the right tool for all rust & paint jobs like you said Vicegrip, not good for soft stuff thick grease ,soft undercoating,seam sealer,ect. but most of my undercoating was brittle. but for engine blocks,differentials,& stuff with lots of nooks & places hard to get at with a wire wheel it does a great job for the money. & yes blasting always looks more neat & clean. but aw the mess & sand everywhere.
Johno

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Before I retired, one of my responsibilities involved maintenance of the structural steel throughout the plant. We had a lot of pipe bridges that were exposed to weather and chemicals. Needle scalers played a large part in paint prep. They're great at removing rust and scale.

Jim

Jonas02

Post by Jonas02 »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:26 pm
I'd like to thank someone on here,but I cant remember who. could have comethead,he has helped me a lot. but someone on here showed one of these cheap tools a few years ago so I got one to take of the undercoating from under the fenders & such. It came off so easy I pecked most of it off with a screw driver. I did use this thing a little bit for the nooks & crannies. but since then I whip it out for certain ruff stuff like a rear diff.. I really love this little feller. he's like a little mad badger. Since my buddy borrowed my sand blaster about 5 years ago & still has it,I've used this little thing more & more !

you can tell in this one minute video how much it takes off one handed ,even better when I put the camera down so I could use both hands on it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEQbvqESJNo
If I was a lot younger I'd get a good one of these. lol
I'm falling in love with that car