Road trip?

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
popscomet

Re: Road trip?

Post by popscomet »

is everything adjusted ???shims and bushings good??,,,clutch adjusted ? how much free play in pedal ??,,,,I put 80/90 wt in my TL...what clutch brand did you have installed ?? few yrs ago I got away from the old 3finger pressure plate,,,not near the foot effort needed.......pop
pop/glenda

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

I'm going to check the bushings and clutch linkage adjustment when I change the lube.
Definitely needs a lube change. Clutch could come up a little. I like 'em about 2 1/2 inches off the floor.
The frame bracket for the clutch pivot arm is aftermarket, so that could be the problem.

I don't have a lift, so I'm waiting to catch it all while I'm under there.
Takes me a day or two to rest my back if I have to get under the car. :wink:

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

I know a guy that pivot arm failed and he didn't catch it at 1st,,,pulled it down on the side of the street as he was out of town at a big time cruise in another state,,,then he caught it,,,in fact I had one to fail but I caught it,just rewelded and was back in business,,,,mine was on a 67 fairlane....his was on a 4spd 327 66 nova,,,,,his was after market...pop
pop/glenda

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Working under the hood on the driver's side is like working on a Mitsubishi.
I imagine you have to pull the engine to get the headers out. I'll have to get everything from the bottom side.
The old Hookers are setting against the inside shock tower. Actually has a patch welded in where the tube meets.

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

back in the 90's when we built my comet,could not find headers,,son happened across a name in a magazine,,,RED' HEADER'S,,I called him,,he was a 100 miles north of SAN FRAN.CALF.he ask me if I still had the 5bolt bell houseing and if it had pwr steering....I told him yes and no..he said it's been several yrs since I BUILT a set for a 64 comet but I remember how,he built me a set of tri y's and sent them to me ,they were pricey for the day but all I had to do was dimple one tube just alittle,,,bolted them on after having them coated,,,they have never been off,,might of loosened one to get BH off to replace clutch,,,can't recall been so long ago...good luck,,,as far as crawling under it,,POP has been there many times,,even in the snow and cold and ice,,,sometimes just to get to work the next day.....pop
pop/glenda

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Joe Travers wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:46 pm
Working under the hood on the driver's side is like working on a Mitsubishi.
I guess I shouldn't complain about some of the tight spots on the right side of my engine anymore :roll:

I wish the carb was on the left as well then I would never have to look at the right side :lol: I will kinda crowd the right side up a bit more when I get the A/C installed.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

popscomet wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:25 pm
back in the 90's when we built my comet,could not find headers,,,,as far as crawling under it,,POP has been there many times,,even in the snow and cold and ice,,,sometimes just to get to work the next day.....pop
Only supplier I've found for headers is Hooker and they aren't cheap. Reckon they don't sell many.
Have to hunt for the jig for a day to find it and charge you for the hassle :)

Yep, had a FMX on my chest in the middle of an ice storm in a gravel driveway once. Only car I owned at the time.
The 'good old days' weren't very good sometimes but we made it!

JT
Last edited by Joe Travers on Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

lavron wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:30 pm
I guess I shouldn't complain about some of the tight spots on the right side of my engine anymore :roll:
Nah, Mike.
Guys that shouldn't complain are the ones wrenching on old Econoline vans.
Pull the cowl cover, sit in the driver's side swivel seat and reach in your tool box in the passenger seat. :lol:
Doesn't get easier than that!

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

RED'S HEADERS has since gone out business,,,probaly died ......back then those good ol days were have to days !! in those times,,,all pop had was hisself to count on,,,,,altho GLENDA was always ready to get those pretty fingernails dirty if I needed her...and she still will today,,,,,all I have to do is ask...like she says...I CAN'T READ YOUR MIND ,BABE ....but today I have son
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

riverbum wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:35 am
Talk it over. I could find a 9", but it would be nice to find one with the correct spring perch location and angle. We might could do some trading where you wouldn't feel like there was an empty space.
SON was out here tonight and I ask if the torino rear end could go...he said NO...he has a place for it to be used on a future project car....that's why we hate to get rid of anything,,,sooner or later we'll need it....sorry....POP
pop/glenda

riverbum

Post by riverbum »

No worries, Pops. That's nearly an 8 hour drive, one way. It would be good to catch up and visit, but that is a long drive. The 8" is pretty strong, but the Torino is about 3500 lbs, and approx. 400 hp with a slick might put a strain on the 8". That being said, I have a friend with a 70 Nova and a 600+ hp small block and puts another 250 hp NOS on top of it. He has a 10 bolt and is literally breaking everything but the rear end. He has welded spider gears, CalTracs and running a 9" slick.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

that is what I mean when I speak so highly of these smaller ring gears,,,they are tougher then a person thinks...like I have always said....you can tear up an anvil,if you try hard enough....good luck....pop
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

WE were at the drag races a few yrs back and I noticed a 68 fastback stang that had a mopar rear end under it,,,the owner told me he tore up every 9in he put under it,,,so he set up a mopar to use...said he has never tore it up and he has tried,,,he has a fe 4spd....so there you go,,,,why can't a 9in live under this car and a mopar does....??.......pop
pop/glenda

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

popscomet wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:57 pm
,,,,why can't a 9in live under this car and a mopar does....??.......pop
I heard a Mopar guy talking about this one. Has something to do with the pinion stress.
Ford 9" and Mopar pinions are located differently.
Mopar guys like to brag about it. :lol:

I think chunks are like everything else.
If the design is sound (both are), a problem can still slip through quality control if someone is having a bad day.

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Pop, I would bet the Mustang guy just threw together the 9s expecting them to last but when he went to mopar he spent serious coin on it so it would last!
Just sayin,
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about