Road trip?

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
SASSY

Road trip?

Post by SASSY »

A buddy and I are off on road trip at 4 in the morn!
I have posted about one of his cars a 62 Galaxie convert with Coyote power, great car.
Sort of a barn find, it had been sitting under a lean for 25 years, 6 hrs one way trailered it home
We are picking up a "07,, I think, Mustang from Burnaby tomorrow driving out in his Tremor(?),
its a late model shortbox Ford pickup with the twin turbo V6 quite the performer!
8 hrs one way plus registration hope to be home by midnight cause Im starting a new contract Tuesday!
Between the two of us just about 140 years,, so may end up in a motel,,, will report back wed,,, or thurs.
Anybody else have any road trip stories?
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

popscomet

Re: Road trip?

Post by popscomet »

right now all POP can say is don't drink anything,,if your on a tight time line....pit stops eat up alot of time :o :shock: :lol:
pop/glenda

comethead

Post by comethead »

Cool Fred!
Last road trip I did was to pick up the Falcon track car. LA to Sacramento and back. 2 trucks hauling 2 trailers (I got 2 hardtop falcons in the deal).
I think it ended up being 24 hours total no sleep no motels :shock:
Driving, loading cars, Driving more and unloading cars. My buddy hated me for talking him into it :lol:

Have fun!

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Well as a passenger for the first time on that beautiful drive I really enjoyed the scenery,,, both ways!
The pics of the Mustang were a well executed work of deception. Although very low mileage for year it needed too much work.
A note on the truck we went in.
2014 Tremor, was told it was one 200 that Canada got. The twin turbo V6 climbed one of the steepest, longest passes in the BC mountians without coming out of 6th gear at just over 60 mph with the cruise on.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Hey Fred!

Bummer about the car. :(
I hate buying someone else's problem, myself.
I rolled the dice on my car and am finding a few problems (as usual).
No biggie. It's a rolling project, taking my time.

Nice scenery!

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Kinda makes you want to think ....IS IT REALLY THAT LOW MILEAGE ?...GLENDA AND I drove many miles and pulled a trailer to buy a used bronco one time ,,turned out to be a complete piece of crap!! sh-- happens,,,live and learn....we had a enjoyable trip and sounds like you and your buddy did also and that's the important part.....pop
pop/glenda

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Me and an old buddy pulled the Comet home in a Ford Coyote F-150 w/ towing package.
That bad boy was growling on the downshifts like the Comet. :D
Think he's a new convert, now.
Got the shaft on a brand new (not gonna mention brand) diesel w/ blowing torque converters.
He bought the F-150 for his wife but I think he's trying to steal it from her :lol:

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

riverbum

Post by riverbum »

It's interesting how things work out. Every car I have always wanted most have turned out to be junk, especially in the price range I was willing to spend.

The last three I have bought, two have been a breeze. I bought a 79 Bronco for $1000 that only needed the carb rebuilt, and my current project, a 68 Torino GT is as rust free as any 25+ yr old I have ever owned. I would have never given a 68 formal roof a second look before I got this one. I'm really enjoying building it. If you are on Facebook and want to keep up with it, send me a friend request Rhett Dennis. My profile picture is me grinning like a possum holding my big bass fiddle.

In the Comet world, I do have my eye on a 64 2dr hard top. I even scored a t10 with the correct tail housing and shift linkage the other day. Now if I can talk this guy into selling me the 64, I'll be back in the Comet saddle.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

POP use to have a 68 gt torino 390 4spd,,still have the engine and rear end housing and 3rd member.....put the 4spd in a 67 fairlane behind a SB...
pop/glenda

riverbum

Post by riverbum »

I have a close ratio toploader, and I am seriously considering a complete hydraulic clutch setup for it. Drove it for the first time last night and the 289 purrs like a kitten and the C4 shifts like new. The car hasn't been on the road in about 15 years and the motor and trans hasn't been on the road in about 10 years. I'm going to need a 9" to go under mine. I don't think my 8" will hold up to 1/4 mile and standing mile racing.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

what is this 9in going under??..don't sell that 8in short...they are tougher then you think....and all you have is a 289 c4....good luck....POP
pop/glenda

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

popscomet wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:27 pm
what is this 9in going under??..don't sell that 8in short...they are tougher then you think....and all you have is a 289 c4....good luck....POP
Was watching a video of a guy racing a stroker big block early Falcon with a 8" differential the other night. :shock:
He commented he was gonna run it till it blew.
Maybe it's just me, but every C-4 I ever owned went to pot really quick. After 3-4 I quit fooling with them.

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Well Pops, the 8 may by tough but I'm sure the 9" has way better aftermarket support plus 1 /4 mile and mile racing would probably require multiple centers,, think I'd be looking for a 9" too in his situation.
Fred

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Joe, must be the build. A good friend had been running one in a 64 Falcon for multiple years that runs 10s, street drives it all the time with basic maintance
He did spend the money on a good build though.
Fred

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

I know the 9in is the go to one,,but those 8in are so tough also and I hate to hear guys think they just have to have the 9in,,,that 8 under my comet came from a 76 4spd stang cobra,,son broght it to me from TEXAS in the 87 while he was going to UTI,,I have had it under a 4spd stang with 8in slicks with a 289,,,now under my comet for 25 plus years,,,they made some that had more webbing then others just like some 9in has more webbing,,,,so there is in my book weaker 8 and weaker 9in ,depending on where it came from....we run 7.5 in these dirt cars and they hold up great,,,,and they take a beating....pop
pop/glenda