Road trip?

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
SASSY

Re: Road trip?

Post by SASSY »

Pops do you know how much lighter an 8 is than a 9?
I'm much more focused on turning corners than launching and that 9 in the back throws the car around. Looking for less unsprong weight.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

according to this site 24 lb.s;
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

JOHN is probaly close with his info....according to what the assyl's came from....
pop/glenda

riverbum

Post by riverbum »

I'm going to put a 9" in my 68 Torino. It has a 289 in it right now, but I have a 306 roller with AFR heads that will be making close to 400 hp and a close ratio toploader that I plan on putting in it. My goal is to run 1/4 mile and standing mile events with it.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

So there would be some advantage to cornering with an 8inch. But to find one then do the mods I've done to my 9,, IRS is a better plan for me but a ton more work.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

POP has a complete rear end out of a 68 GT 4SPD TORINO,,CHUNK AND ALL...I torched the springs and emer brake cables and dropped it on the ground,,best I recall it's a 3.00 limited slip,,,9in....
pop/glenda

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

popscomet wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:15 am
POP has a complete rear end out of a 68 GT 4SPD TORINO,,CHUNK AND ALL...I torched the springs and emer brake cables and dropped it on the ground,,best I recall it's a 3.00 limited slip,,,9in....
Riverbum,,,, Road Trip!!!

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

SASSY wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:17 am
popscomet wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:15 am
Riverbum,,,, Road Trip!!!
:lol: :lol: Maybe maybe not,,,!st of all POP hates to sell anything as I've had for 25 plus yrs and I need to talk it over with son,,we hate to see anything leave,,,,we might need it down the line,,,,
pop/glenda

riverbum

Post by riverbum »

Talk it over. I could find a 9", but it would be nice to find one with the correct spring perch location and angle. We might could do some trading where you wouldn't feel like there was an empty space.

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

riverbum wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:05 am
I'm going to put a 9" in my 68 Torino. It has a 289 in it right now, but I have a 306 roller with AFR heads that will be making close to 400 hp and a close ratio toploader that I plan on putting in it. My goal is to run 1/4 mile and standing mile events with it.
Doing a little thread jumping here, but I'm getting into this Monty Hall thing. :lol:
I'm assuming you're holding on to the T-10?
I'm waiting on some GL-4 to do a lube change, still waiting to shakedown my tranny.
She isn't shifting well when she gets hot.

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

riverbum

Post by riverbum »

I'm actually trying to move the T-10 for a friend. I'm not trying to make any money off the transmission. Whatever I sell it for, I will give to him. If I decide to buy it, he will give me a little better deal. I just want to be up front and honest with him. We have been friends for nearly 40 years.

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

riverbum wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:05 pm
I'm actually trying to move the T-10 for a friend. I'm not trying to make any money off the transmission. Whatever I sell it for, I will give to him. If I decide to buy it, he will give me a little better deal. I just want to be up front and honest with him. We have been friends for nearly 40 years.
I totally understand. I may be trying to sell for a friend as well, soon.

The lube in my tranny needs changing really bad. The previous owner may have also added wrong lube.
Crossing my fingers, really hoping it's not a big deal.
Just keeping tabs on available parts, just in case I have to purchase.

Thanks, Amigo!

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

DWAYNE,will be out this afternoon,,POP will talk to him about letting the rear end houseing go ,,it's complete with drums axles ,but it has been just laying on the ground for all these yrs and ,,it still has the U bolts on it,,,,it'll have to be checked out before hand to make sure rust and rot ain't taken over,,,,,cause if POP and son get rid of anything,,anything it will always be on the uppity up...our word means more then any type of payment we might ever receive.....so LET me know just what all you want...........I very well may still have the drive shaft that mates that rear end...I know the 390 is still here...I used the 4spd in a 67 fairlane and wound up selling it yrs later.....pop
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Joe Travers wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:43 pm
riverbum wrote:

The lube in my tranny needs changing really bad. The previous owner may have also added wrong lube.

Thanks, Amigo!
what lube do you think might be in it??pop
pop/glenda

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

popscomet wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:59 pm
Joe Travers wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:43 pm
riverbum wrote:

Thanks, Amigo!
what lube do you think might be in it??pop
Hey Pop!

GL-5 maybe or synthetic poop maybe. Who knows, looks like coal oil to me.
Had to order old GL-4 'cause I can't get it locally. It's getting scarce nowdays.
Had a new clutch installed and it shifts like a dream with the engine not running or running cold.
Soon as it gets up to operating temp it gets a little cranky.

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop