Car Lift and Garage

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
Jims65cyclone

Re: Car Lift

Post by Jims65cyclone »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:44 pm
I like the portable one on that link for 500 more bucks.
Yeah, I considered that one, but it has a pretty massive base compared to the stationary model. Seems like that would be a real aggravation when working under the car. It extends almost the full width of the car, while the base on the stationary model only extends just past the tire track of the car. I'd also want to store it with the column toward the wall so the column isn't sticking out in the room. That puts the steering handle against the wall which would make it awkward to pull out for use.
poboyjo65 wrote:
As for that garage door opener that afxjim posted a link to, I noticed there was one with wifi & it is rated for heavier doors in the specs.
Jim's link was to LIftmaster, and I'm looking at a Chamberlain at Lowe's. They look identical in every respect except for the name on the case. I don't know if Liftmaster makes Chamberlain or visa versa, but they appear to be the same unit. The Chamberlain unit is wifi equipped, and according to the spec sheet would handle the 18'x9' door I'm considering.

Jim

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

poboyjo65 wrote:
As for that garage door opener that afxjim posted a link to, I noticed there was one with wifi & it is rated for heavier doors in the specs.
Jim's link was to LIftmaster, and I'm looking at a Chamberlain at Lowe's. They look identical in every respect except for the name on the case. I don't know if Liftmaster makes Chamberlain or visa versa, but they appear to be the same unit. The Chamberlain unit is wifi equipped, and according to the spec sheet would handle the 18'x9' door I'm considering.

Jim
[/quote]

Liftmaster and Chamberlain are the same company, I am not sure if there are any differences between the two in the operator you are interested in. If your door is insulated it will no doubt be heavier, I would confirm the operator will lift a door of the size/weight you plan to use. They advertise that the LM8500 has a faster opening speed, in my opinion it is slightly slower than the belt drive conventional Lift Master I have on the garage attached to my home.
Good luck with your construction.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Jim that's why I bought this one because it was a big heavy duty one,didnt notice that it was wifi. there was one more with a camera,kinda wish I'd got that one now.

Another thought came to mind, for either lift you could embed that beam in the concrete,then have a cover for the trench to walk on when it was up.
Johno

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:18 am
Another thought came to mind, for either lift you could embed that beam in the concrete,then have a cover for the trench to walk on when it was up.
I saw that same suggestion on a garage forum I looked at. (Yes, they have garage forums. :roll: ) The guy had the lift I'm looking at, and said if he had it to do over again, he might embed the lift arm in the floor to make it flush. The downside is that it would steal 4" from my lift height. That might not be enough to matter, but I'm not sure. Worth considering, though.

Jim

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

cross all your T's and dot all the I's before you buy....you've waited this long,,,,make sure of what your getting,,pop
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Well,,,no news in a couple of days,,,,JIM might be installing his lift...reckon we'll find out soon....pop
pop/glenda

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

popscomet wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:21 pm
Well,,,no news in a couple of days,,,,JIM might be installing his lift...reckon we'll find out soon
Jim's a long way from installing his lift. I don't even have walls yet. My purpose for this thread was to bounce my ideas off you guys and gather your feedback. ideas and suggestions. So far, it's working real well. :D

Jim

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:31 pm
popscomet wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:21 pm
Well,,,no news in a couple of days,,,,JIM might be installing his lift...reckon we'll find out soon
Jim's a long way from installing his lift. I don't even have walls yet. My purpose for this thread was to bounce my ideas off you guys and gather your feedback. ideas and suggestions. So far, it's working real well. :D

Jim
Ok I suggest you get the lift before pouring the concrete so you'll know exactly how to build the trench. as for losing the 4 inches ,that would be the good thing about the portable one,you could simply move it out of the trench or use spacers in the trench & you could leave the mounting studs long for the permanent one, just in case those 4 inches proved to be a problem in certain situations.
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

JIM,,any news on the lift ??////pop
pop/glenda

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

I'm sure the factory hasn't even built the one I'll get, yet. I've gotta build the place to put it, first. :roll:

Jim

power band

Post by power band »

just 'checked out this thread on Car Lifts and will add $.02 ,,,

Paid @ $3,500 for lift, lets my mid-20th century body style able to still get under my cars (retirement gift) . Needed to notch and collar tie roof trusses. cars fit between the OH door tracks.

As mentioned - 4 post is great for frame and drivetrain, not as handy for wheel work - good for alignment!. With Horror Freight tranny jack, can easily R&R tranns etc. myself. Can store second vehicle underneath.

7000lb - 'narrow high lift' 4 post:

Not anchored , Lift has casters to roll around in garage (haven't used) . 120V Hydro pump, air pressure release pins so cant be lowered without air pressure - handy when kids around - has a center jack 'tray'. Luckily delivered from semi to nearby farm dock - heavy big bundle! .

have fun

Image .Image . Image. Image . Image

Old compressor in attached shed outside garage piped inside keeps work quieter,,,
. Image . Image

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

This is the one I am considering, not the cheapest but maybe looking for the cheapest lift is not the smartest thing to do.

https://www.wildfirelifts.com/

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

I’ve been doing some more research on lifts, and found a couple more that are attractive for my shop situation. They’re two-post lifts with a clear span underneath, AND they’re portable in the sense that the post located toward the center of the shop can be removed and stored against the wall when not in use. Of course, they have plusses and minuses when compared to each other, and to the single post lift I’m currently considering.

The first is a Triumph C7000 portable two-post lift.
https://www.mytoolequipmentguy.com/triu ... auto-lift/

It’s about $500 more than the Amgo SL-6 single post lift I’m considering, but it has no obstructions under the car when in use, and nothing on the floor to trip over. Its max lift is 72”, 5” less than the Amgo. It has a 7,000 lb capacity vs. the Amgo’s 6,000 lbs. It’s 110V only, so it probably takes about twice the lift time. The big plus is that it can be broken down and stored against the wall when not needed, getting that “tree” out of the middle of my shop floor.

The second is a Max Jax. Installation and portability is the same as the Triumph. Lifting capacity is 6,000 lbs, same as the Amgo. It can be wired 110V or 220V. It’s actually the least expensive of the three, coming in about $550 less than the Triumph and $50 less than the Amgo, and surprisingly, it’s available through Home Depot.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/MAX-JAX-6-0 ... /314492477

The only drawback is that it only has about a 48” lift height. But, according to this guy, he considers that an advantage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYeAJXJGt28

Right now, I’m leaning toward the Triumph. I’m thinking the benefits of the clear span under the car provided by a two post lift, combined with the ability to remove the column from the middle of the garage when not in use, trump the single post lift.

Jim

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 11:05 pm
I’ve been doing some more research on lifts, and found a couple more that are attractive for my shop situation. They’re two-post lifts with a clear span underneath, AND they’re portable in the sense that the post located toward the center of the shop can be removed and stored against the wall when not in use. Of course, they have plusses and minuses when compared to each other, and to the single post lift I’m currently considering.

The first is a Triumph C7000 portable two-post lift.
https://www.mytoolequipmentguy.com/triu ... auto-lift/

It’s about $500 more than the Amgo SL-6 single post lift I’m considering, but it has no obstructions under the car when in use, and nothing on the floor to trip over. Its max lift is 72”, 5” less than the Amgo. It has a 7,000 lb capacity vs. the Amgo’s 6,000 lbs. It’s 110V only, so it probably takes about twice the lift time. The big plus is that it can be broken down and stored against the wall when not needed, getting that “tree” out of the middle of my shop floor.

The second is a Max Jax. Installation and portability is the same as the Triumph. Lifting capacity is 6,000 lbs, same as the Amgo. It can be wired 110V or 220V. It’s actually the least expensive of the three, coming in about $550 less than the Triumph and $50 less than the Amgo, and surprisingly, it’s available through Home Depot.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/MAX-JAX-6-0 ... /314492477

The only drawback is that it only has about a 48” lift height. But, according to this guy, he considers that an advantage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYeAJXJGt28

Right now, I’m leaning toward the Triumph. I’m thinking the benefits of the clear span under the car provided by a two post lift, combined with the ability to remove the column from the middle of the garage when not in use, trump the single post lift.

Jim
The problem I see with the Triumph lift is the hydraulic hoses that connect the pump to the two towers, the hoses are bound to get in the way. They also must be somewhat protected so they are not damaged. The towers would have to be anchored with bolts not studs so when moved there is nothing protruding above the floor. Do you have a thick enough slab to safely mount a two post lift?
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

I saw a very nice heavy-duty scissor lift recently in a local shop that is imbedded below the floor.
Grating is installed to cover when not in use. When retracted, the pads are just below the floor height.
Thought of this thread when I saw it. No posts to get in the way. Full access to undercarriage when up.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi