Car Lift and Garage

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
comethead

Re: Car Lift

Post by comethead »

Deleted post. Didn’t read far enough :?
Last edited by comethead on Fri May 14, 2021 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

A/FX wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 11:54 pm
The problem I see with the Triumph lift is the hydraulic hoses that connect the pump to the two towers, the hoses are bound to get in the way. They also must be somewhat protected so they are not damaged. The towers would have to be anchored with bolts not studs so when moved there is nothing protruding above the floor. Do you have a thick enough slab to safely mount a two post lift?
I would leave the column closest to the wall permanently mounted. Then I'd either mount the tank/pump to the stationary column or to the wall, and run the hydraulic line for the removeable column overhead. It would probably require getting a longer hose or hard-piping the overhead part to make up the difference. When not in use, the hose could be disconnected from the column, coiled and stored on a hook attached to the ceiling. The manufacturer recommends mounting the columns with bolts/anchors so the floor will be flush. I haven't poured my floor yet, so the area where the columns would be located can be poured a foot thick with extra rebar. Just have to be sure not to locate the rebar where the bolts need to go. :roll:
Joe Travers wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 12:05 am
I saw a very nice heavy-duty scissor lift recently in a local shop that is imbedded below the floor.
Grating is installed to cover when not in use. When retracted, the pads are just below the floor height.
Thought of this thread when I saw it. No posts to get in the way. Full access to undercarriage when up.
I've never seen a scissor lift that allowed full access to the undercarriage. How does that work? :?

Jim

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 3:42 pm
I've never seen a scissor lift that allowed full access to the undercarriage. How does that work? :?
You can get under it from front and back. Can't stand under it.
It was an old heavy piece in an old shop.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

mopar 346

Post by mopar 346 »

I did NOT read the 4 pages up to this point so if this has been brought up, shut me next time you see me. Have you considered a cassette lift?? A new take on an in ground 2 post. Self contained, enviro friendly, no post to bag the doors on and very little access limit to the undercarriage if any at all. Can be done in stages to pay as you go. My plans are to install the bucket next time I pour floor and then install the lift later as money allows. Down side is sight prep and is more than than a typical lift. The link below is was just from a quick search, cant seem to find a price quickly but if memory serves the unit is $4kish and the ground prep is a grand or so depending on your area and current floor situation, less if set up before the pour, The bucket can be bought for a grand and the lift installed later as mentioned.

https://www.challengerlifts.com/car-lif ... und-lifts/

https://www.amazon.com/000Lb-Versymmect ... B002YK9ENS
Careful your character's showing!

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

mopar 346 wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:56 pm
The link below is was just from a quick search
Thanks for the link! The scissor-type lift I described in my last post very similar to this one- https://www.challengerlifts.com/products/sx14/
No posts, can be installed flush. I see this model will give you standing room under the car if you have high ceiling. No undercarriage interference.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

mopar 346

Post by mopar 346 »

links are good!

Scissor lifts have their purpose but any drive on restricts wheel access unless sliding jacks are involved and then front end rebuilds can be a challenge. Essential every lift has advantages and disadvantages, I like the cassettes for a variety of reasons but that might not line up with what others see as advantages. Clearance, access and nothing to hit doors are appealing.

Speaking of doors, (this may have been mentioned too), even though I have panel doors in my shop, roll up doors offer clearance and a distinct advantage if body work is being done (nothing for the bondo dust to land on, or at least minimal.
Careful your character's showing!

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

WE have a 2post outside,cause POP has always been one to keep the under side of all cars and trucks clean as top side,,a couple of yrs ago ,son wanted a 4 post inside the shop,,so we have it,,,is great,,but both have a draw back at times,,depending on the certain task at hand,,,,the 2 post has been here for 20 odd yrs,,,or longer...both are handy,,so what ever style of lift a person gets himself,,he'll always find fault or wish for something else,,,human nature I guess,,,
pop/glenda

Jims65cyclone

Re: Car Lift and Garage

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Well….after years of working on a whole house renovation, working on other projects, procrastination and planning, I’ve finally started work in earnest on what will become my new garage dedicated to my Comet. It started as an attached double carport added during the renovation project, then morphed into a garage project. I never poured the floor slab due to concentrating on the work inside the house, so that was the starting point. I’m about two months in now, and it’s been a VERY hot two months.

First step was getting the footings poured for the additional apron walls and a retaining wall for the driveway.
Twenty nine 80 lb bags of concrete for the footings. Fortunately, I have a mixer that’s good for one bag a batch. :roll:

Brick work begins.

Next step, cut and fill and compaction.

This is one of the two footings for my two post lift. Yeah, I’ve decided to go with a portable two post lift rather than the single post lift.

5:30 am and the concrete truck arrives. My neighbors LOVED me! :lol:

First trip to the lumber yard. Finished installing the base plates on the apron walls today. Wall framing starts tomorrow.

Jim

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Your future workshop looks great! I built my dream shop 12 years ago, best money I ever spent. Being that you are in a warmer climate than I am the building construction differs slightly. How large is the building? Are you planning a heating/cooling system? Post more pictures of the progress.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Nice job Jim! looks great! I mixed 42 bags in a wheel barrow one day,took ALL day ! So I bet ole No. 29 was glad to meet you! :)

:D yea keep us posted!!
Johno

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Looking good, Jim!

Won't be long, you'll be able to keep the neighbors up all night running your air compressor :lol: Love the high ceiling! Making any provisions to vent heat up there in the Summer?

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Congrats on the Comet space!
Hoist,,,, was a dream but put new wheels on the creeper and done.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

JimsHot66

Post by JimsHot66 »

Looks like you got the grunt work out of the way and all fun from here. Good job Jim!

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Thanks for the encouraging words, guys. Yeah, it's been a long time coming. Got started on framing today. I'll post some more pics when I get a little further along.
A/FX wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:56 pm
How large is the building? Are you planning a heating/cooling system?
It's 22'-6" x 24'-6". Ideally, I would have liked for it to be a little larger, but since it started as an attached carport that shares a roof with the house it would have been a BIG deal to change the footprint. I think it will work out fine, though. I'm going to insulate it, but no plans for HVAC at this point. We rarely get into the 20's here in the winter, though the summers can get pretty brutal. I'll have a 36" man-door opposite the 16' garage door, and I'll have several fans to stir the humidity around. I'll see how it does next summer. If it gets too bad, I'll get a window unit. :lol:
poboyjo65 wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:00 pm
I mixed 42 bags in a wheel barrow one day,took ALL day ! So I bet ole No. 29 was glad to meet you! :)
Yeah, I mixed that first batch and dumped it in the footing trench and it looked like I tossed a tea cup full in there. :roll:
Joe Travers wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:24 pm
Love the high ceiling! Making any provisions to vent heat up there in the Summer?
The ceiling height ended up at 12' except at the beam that spans the center where it's 11'4". I'll be able to lift the Comet 6' and still clear the beam. :D No provisions for venting heat, but the attic space above will be insulated, and the fans will keep it stirred up.
SASSY wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:49 am
Hoist,,,, was a dream but put new wheels on the creeper and done.
Yeah, I could probably put new wheels on everybody's creeper on the forum for the cost of a lift, but hey, you only go around once. :D

Jim

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Nice looking garage space :D
Tom
tomb's 65